Police Run Roughshod Over Lawful Handgun Owner

Thread: Police Run Roughshod Over Lawful Handgun Owner

Found this on NRA/ILA this morning
    6:00 am August 26, 2009, by Bob Barr

No good deed goes unpunished — that’s a lesson George Boggs of Fayetteville, North Carolina, learned earlier this month when he voluntarily turned his handgun over to the local police for safe-keeping while he went into the hospital following an automobile wreck. When Mr. Boggs (who maintains a valid concealed-carry permit for the handgun) later attempted to retrieve his firearm, the police said, sorry, we’ve sent it out for ballistics testing and can’t give it back to you yet.

Apparently the police in North Carolina believe themselves empowered to retain a law-abiding citizen’s firearm, and test it to see if it matches any firearms or ammunition on which the police have records that were used in crimes, regardless of whether they have any suspicion whatsoever that the firearm is illegal or has ever been used in the commission of a crime. And, the police do this even if the person has voluntarily and temporarily left a firearm with the police for safe keeping. In this case also, the owner of the handgun did not want the firearm fired because it had never been fired since he purchased it new, and he believed its value would be diminished.

Tough luck, according to the law enforcement authorities; so long as they get a firearm — however they get a firearm — they keep it as long as they want to test it, and , if it matches ballistically with some record they have, they would keep it indefinitely.

So much for property rights. So much for Fourth Amendment guarantees against unreasonable search and seizure. And so much for being a good citizen. When it comes to firearms, many law enforcement agencies believe they can do pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want.

Typical cop behavior in my opinion.

I object to the typical cop behavior comment.

With that being said my question would be, why would you leave your firearm with the LEO in the first place?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I've actually wondered about this. here in michigan it is not legal to have a firearm in a hospital. so if you are carrying and get into an accident, what happens to your firearm if you are taken to the hospital?

as far as this guy's rights go, if this kind of crap goes unchecked then what else are they going to try and pull? hopefully there will be a suit over this.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

5. Reply

Obviously he thought he was doing the right thing. tinman

Mr Boggs surrendered his protection against unlawful search and seizure when he voluntarily surrendered his property to the police.

Certainly, what they did with that gun next was unfounded and perhaps even unethical, but thanks for posting this - because anyone who thinks giving your gun to the Gov't (at ANY level) is ever a wise idea, I hope they learn a valuable lesson from Mr. Boggs.

You may as well melt down into a door stop yourself.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

This is good to know , i never thought about this...

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    I object to the typical cop behavior comment...
    I suppose that's because the police can never be wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    Mr Boggs surrendered his protection against unlawful search and seizure when he voluntarily surrendered his property to the police...
    It's certainly unfortunate when the people you expect to protect you decline to do so.
    ...anyone who thinks giving your gun to the Gov't (at ANY level) is ever a wise idea, I hope they learn a valuable lesson from Mr. Boggs.
    It's sad to live in a world where no level of government is trustworthy.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I suppose that's because the police can never be wrong?
    No, its because typical insinuates over 50% or a majority and I don't believe that over 50% of LEO are like this, that's all.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I ALWAYS carry and I sometimes ride a motorcycle. One day while I was riding, I got a call from my daughter saying she forgot her lunch money. So I rode to the school, asked the Campus cop to secure my weapon while I was in the school and retrieved it after bringing her the money. Not all cops are fascists, and I would venture to say that on a national level only about 20% or less would fall into that group, and of those half are only fascists by the machinations of their respective departments. (Or disrespective departments depending on how you look at it). The point is: Don't judge a cop by his cover. They are typically good people doing a tough job, and if you find an ******* who truly deserves a lawsuit then bring it.