Facebook Poll - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Poll

Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it.

-- Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    ...I'd like to see the President (Usurper) dead, by whatever means until something actually happens, no crime has been committed...
    Uh, news flash Bo: Threatening the President "is" a crime.

So did ya vote in the poll, and if so, mind tellling tell us how, just so we can get it recorded here straight up?

I mean, that would be basically repeating what you already said, but just wanted to make sure...

I don't know if Bohemian really believes all this outrageous stuff he says or if he's intentionally trying to be provocative, but the issue here isn't so much with what people have a right to say or do as it is about being irresponsible and reckless, and in the long run, making life more difficult for those who are responsible.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Uh, news flash Bo: Threatening the President "is" a crime.

So did ya vote in the poll, and if so, mind tellling tell us how, just so we can get it recorded here straight up?

I mean, that would be basically repeating what you already said, but just wanted to make sure...
    AND there's a difference between an opinion and a tangible & credible threat... AND there's a difference between out of context quotations and reality...

1st Amendment
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

14th Amendment
    ... no person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...

The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech. See, e.g., Gitlow v. New York (1925), incorporating the free speech clause. Generally speaking, the First Amendment prohibits governments from regulating the content of speech, subject to a few recognized exceptions such as defamation and incitement to riot. Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent. This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities. See, e.g., Yates v. United States (1957), Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969).

In the 20th century the Supreme Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." - Benjamin Franklin

You still don't get it. Nobody is calling for the poster to be arrested or anything like that. What we're saying is that just because you have the right to say or do something does not mean that you should be exercising it irresponsibly. Just because you may not like a particular president and may even wish he were dead does not mean it's a good idea (not arrestable, just not a good idea) to speak out about it. The same goes for RKBA. Just because there is no constitutional prohibition against using firearms to intimidate people you don't like doesn't mean you should do it. Common sense should always prevail over, "I did it because I have the right to." I'd like to see you say that if it were you who posted the poll and being investigated. I'd be laughing at you and calling you a damned fool.

AND there's a difference between an opinion and a tangible & credible threat... AND there's a difference between out of context quotations and reality...

1st Amendment
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

14th Amendment
    ... no person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...

The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech. See, e.g., Gitlow v. New York (1925), incorporating the free speech clause. Generally speaking, the First Amendment prohibits governments from regulating the content of speech, subject to a few recognized exceptions such as defamation and incitement to riot. Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent. This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities. See, e.g., Yates v. United States (1957), Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969).

In the 20th century the Supreme Court held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." - Benjamin Franklin
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here...

Wow. Not only is he saying outrageous, provocative things, he's being condescending too. Way to increase his credibility, isn't it?

Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here...

Benjamin Franklin

"When did ignorance become a point of view?"

By my estimation that would be somewhere around the time they figured out how to use the web to host these forums where any nut job could log on and post pretty much anything that crossed their feeble mind.

Make no mistake about it, ignorant people were in our midst long before the advent of theInternet. The only difference in the Internet age is that the internet makes it easier for them to get noticed, which is apparently exactly what this poster was trying to achieve. Well, he got his wish alright; now the big dummy could be facing charges. Bohemian of course doesn't see it that way; he just thinks he's being hassled for no good reason. I am just floored by his stubborn refusal to see this situation for what it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    "When did ignorance become a point of view?"

By my estimation that would be somewhere around the time they figured out how to use the web to host these forums where any nut job could log on and post pretty much anything that crossed their feeble mind.

Benjamin Franklin

Bill of Rights
    God Given
    Non-Negotiable

Without our liberty we have nothing...

Nuff Said...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast