Disarmed Soccer Mom - Shot To Death In Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disarmed Soccer Mom - Shot To Death In Home

Disarmed Soccer Mom - Shot To Death In Home

Wait till you get a load of the spin being put on this...

Parallels Between Gun Control and Prohibition

Soccer mom Melanie Hain and her husband, Scott, were found shot to death yesterday in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, in what appeared to be a murder-suicide. According to their neighbor Mark Long, Melanie and Scott Hain had been having marital problems. Apparently Scott had left home on Tuesday without telling Melanie where he was, but returned home on Wednesday.

According to CN Panyu, neighbors had heard the Hain children running out of the house screaming "Daddy shot Mommy!" Police were called at 6:20 pm.

This is not the first time Melanie Hain has made headlines. On September 11, 2008, she showed up at her daughter's soccer game with an openly loaded gun. According to Associated Press, the county sheriff revoked her gun-carrying permit nine days later. (Case Still Pending, leaving her disarmed in the mean time)

Given the murder-suicides of Melanie and Scott Hain as well as high-profile school shootings at Littleton, Columbine, and Virginia Tech, it's only natural that such cases would spark debates about gun control and whether or not stricter laws would have prevented these senseless shootings. In the debate over gun control, one could point to parallels in prohibition.

There are compelling arguments against the constitutionality of federal gun control laws. The Constitution delineates basic rights including freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and the right to bear arms. There is, of course debate over the meaning of "well-regulated militia."

Still, one only needs to point to history to realize that federal restrictions on private behavior are unproductive. Alcohol prohibition of the 1920s led to violence, gangs, and the creation of the black market which ultimately increased the prices of alcohol. As a result, mobsters such as Al Capone were able to prosper during Prohibition. On top of that, prohibition did not even significantly curb the use of alcohol.

It's often said that a teenager has an easier time buying a gram of cocaine than buying a pack of cigarettes. That teen has to show ID before buying cigarettes. Similarly, while the government can't always prevent tragedies like Melanie and Scott Hain, allowing citizens to purchase arms under regulated conditions is still better than turning guns over to the chaos and brutality of the black market.

Sources:

Gun-toting Pa. soccer mom, husband found shot dead, Associated Press

Meleanie Hain Dead, CN Panyu

Soccer Mom Melanie Hain and Husband Scott Found Shot to Death - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Of course. Her marital problems resulting in murder-suicide happened because she owned a gun. I hate the media.

It's unfortunate she captured the spotlight at all, but then this - tragic for the kids.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

That’s what gets me is that there is no guns on school property. Obviously if they trust you to have a concealed permit, why not trust that you would not be shooting up kids because you come there with a gun. It's crazy. Not like there is such high security at elementary schools that someone with a gun can’t get in. In this case, maybe she should have kept it concealed, might have saved her life if the sheriff hadn't taken her right to carry away. The other thing a year later the case is still pending, what the heck?! Despite the tragedy and being against most frivolous law suits, someone from the relatives should sue the sheriff’s department and hit them in the pockets. Maybe that idiot governor will hear about this and shut the heck up about trying to take gun rights away. Man he makes me mad. I’ve heard him on some Sunday morning shows and in my opinion his logical thinking is lacking to say the least.
    "You must prove you feared for your life. Pee in your pants."
    -Someone on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by chudak25 View Post
    That’s what gets me is that there is no guns on school property. Obviously if they trust you to have a concealed permit, why not trust that you would not be shooting up kids because you come there with a gun. It's crazy. Not like there is such high security at elementary schools that someone with a gun can’t get in. In this case, maybe she should have kept it concealed, might have saved her life if the sheriff hadn't taken her right to carry away. The other thing a year later the case is still pending, what the heck?! Despite the tragedy and being against most frivolous law suits, someone from the relatives should sue the sheriff’s department and hit them in the pockets. Maybe that idiot governor will hear about this and shut the heck up about trying to take gun rights away. Man he makes me mad. I’ve heard him on some Sunday morning shows and in my opinion his logical thinking is lacking to say the least.

What are you talking about, she got her gun back about a month later.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Bohemian

I think they de-fused their own spin when they confesed the following:

"Still, one only needs to point to history to realize that federal restrictions on private behavior are unproductive. Alcohol prohibition of the 1920s led to violence, gangs, and the creation of the black market which ultimately increased the prices of alcohol. As a result, mobsters such as Al Capone were able to prosper during Prohibition. On top of that, prohibition did not even significantly curb the use of alcohol."

"It's often said that a teenager has an easier time buying a gram of cocaine than buying a pack of cigarettes. That teen has to show ID before buying cigarettes. Similarly, while the government can't always prevent tragedies like Melanie and Scott Hain, allowing citizens to purchase arms under regulated conditions is still better than turning guns over to the chaos and brutality of the black market."

Who will still have guns and worry about doing the right thing, The Bad Guys or the Good Guys?
    Even the Libs must be able to figure this one out.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    that's what I thought too. pretty sure it was posted on this site too following up the story when she got her pistol license taken away.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

AFAIK, she never lost her weapon over her incident ~ a year ago, just her concealed carry permit. Ironically in PA, she lost her *concealed* permit due to OC-ing and "making people nervous" (the person in question just had a friend in a high place) which means that she could ONLY OC after that.

Duh.

This in particular is really sad, but also IIRC, her husband was a police officer, so from what tiny bit of info we have now it's another case that LEO's are not any less human (or particularly safer/more trustworthy) than any other citizen. (not saying for sure that's what happened, but based on what they're letting us sheep know, that's what it sounds like).

So, sad coincidence leaving young children in the lurch. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people?
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Good Morning Bohemian

I think they de-fused their own spin when they confesed the following:

"Still, one only needs to point to history to realize that federal restrictions on private behavior are unproductive. Alcohol prohibition of the 1920s led to violence, gangs, and the creation of the black market which ultimately increased the prices of alcohol. As a result, mobsters such as Al Capone were able to prosper during Prohibition. On top of that, prohibition did not even significantly curb the use of alcohol."

"It's often said that a teenager has an easier time buying a gram of cocaine than buying a pack of cigarettes. That teen has to show ID before buying cigarettes. Similarly, while the government can't always prevent tragedies like Melanie and Scott Hain, allowing citizens to purchase arms under regulated conditions is still better than turning guns over to the chaos and brutality of the black market."

Who will still have guns and worry about doing the right thing, The Bad Guys or the Good Guys?
    Even the Libs must be able to figure this one out.
    I have to agree to disagree, their so-called attempt at defusing was ambiguous at best...

The people of the country, have been lied to and conditioned for so long, that statments by the Usurper such as "Just Because You Have A Right, Does Not Mean The Government Cannot Constrain That Right" are agreed to by individuals & orginations that claim to support the Constitution & the Second Amendment as they were written and intended by our founding fathers...

"THE FIRST FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE OF CONSTITUTIONAL INTERPRETATION: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT" - Dr. Stewart Rhodes Esq.

The Second Amendment does not state “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED” Except… if your zip code is X, your standing at Y, or the type or class of weapon/arm you have or desire to have is Z…
    Or you wish to carry that weapon open or concealed...
    Or provided that weapon is licensed, registered, and otherwise in a unconstitutional non-existent government database indexed to your zip+4, S.S #, D.L. # and if ObamaCare gets passed to your DNA etc...

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Additionally, A Lebanon County, Pennsylvania judge did rule that Sheriff Deleo was not justified in revoking Hain's LTC (CCW/CCP)...

Thankfully, since Pennsylvania's Governor Ed Rendell has been calling for federal & state gun bans every time there is any kind of shooting in Pennsylvania or elsewhere just this year alone; Gun Ban Rendell is also known for such comments as "The National Rifle Association, is a paper tiger." and "the nation must confront the need for new gun control"

September 25, 2008
    Toting gun at soccer costs mom her permit

The Associated Press

LEBANON, Pa. — A woman’s concealed-weapons permit was revoked after other parents complained about seeing her carrying a loaded handgun at her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game.

Meleanie Hain wears her weapon, a loaded Glock 26, in a holster to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game Tuesday in Lebanon, Pa.

Meleanie Hain, of Lebanon, said she takes her holstered Glock 26 everywhere for personal security and is fighting the revocation by the Lebanon County sheriff.

“I’m just a soccer mom who has always openly carried (a firearm), and I’ve never had a problem before,” Hain said in Wednesday’s editions of the Lebanon Daily News. “I don’t understand why this is happening to me.”

She declined a request by The Associated Press for comment through her attorney, Robert Magee, of Allentown.

Youth soccer coach Charlie Jones said he approached Hain at the Sept. 11 game and asked her to move to the other side of the field, away from the sideline where the children were standing, after hearing that some parents were upset at seeing her gun.

“More than one parent was upset,” he told the newspaper.

Hain later received a notice that her permit was being revoked by Sheriff Michael DeLeo.

DeLeo cited a section of state law that bars the issuance of concealed-weapons permits to people who are deemed a danger to public safety based on their character and reputation. Hain showed poor judgment by wearing her gun at the game, he said.

DeLeo said he understood his decision would now force Hain to keep her weapon in plain view whenever she carries it, but revoking her concealed-weapons permit was his only recourse because he could not legally confiscate her gun.

Hain later received a notice that her permit was being revoked by Sheriff Michael DeLeo.

Toting gun at soccer costs mom her permit | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    Oh my bad, I was going off the story posted and in there is stated she had her permit revoked and the case was still pending. Now I see the Associated Press one actually states she did get it back. Sorry guys! I gotta stop posting in the middle of the night! lol
    "You must prove you feared for your life. Pee in your pants."
    -Someone on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by chudak25 View Post
    Oh my bad, I was going off the story posted and in there is stated she had her permit revoked and the case was still pending. Now I see the Associated Press one actually states she did get it back. Sorry guys! I gotta stop posting in the middle of the night! lol
    While the first Judge to hear the case DID overrule the Sheriff, the CASE IS STILL PENDING...

Because the stinking Gun Ban Governor Ed Rendell lovers appealed it...

Just like the stinking D.C. & Chicago b.s....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast