Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize For Promising to Disarm America
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize For Promising to Disarm America

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize For Promising to Disarm America

Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for “extraordinary efforts” to strengthen global diplomacy and cooperation less than a year after taking office.
    None of the organizations or analysts who follow Nobel prizes predicted the award to Obama, who is the third sitting U.S. president to have won the prize, following Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson in 1919. Former President Jimmy Carter won in 2002 and former Vice President Al Gore received the prize in 2007. Obama, who said he was humbled by his selection, took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 Nobel nomination deadline. Obama will deliver a statement on the award today.
    “The Nobel Committee has in particular looked at Obama’s vision and work toward a world without atomic weapons,” Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the five-member Nobel committee, said. “Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics.”
    Obama, 48, the first black U.S. president, was elected last year on a platform of extracting American forces from Iraq and changing the way the U.S. was perceived abroad after the presidency of George W. Bush, in particular by pledging to close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. He has sought to improve relations with the Arab world, urged Iran to cooperate on its nuclear program and promoted a cut in atomic weapons held by Russia and the U.S. in a landmark speech to the United Nations last month.
    ‘Dangerous’ Decision
    “It’s a dangerous thing to give Obama this prize after just nine months in office because what happens in the next three years could show him to have been undeserving of this prize,” said Shen Dingli, deputy dean of the Institute of International Affairs at Fudan University in Shanghai. “It takes decades to determine what scientific work is deserving of a Nobel prize.”
    Italy’s Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said he “applauded the award,” U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown sent Obama a private message of congratulation and Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg called the decision “surprising, exciting” because “it can contribute to the realization of the president’s visions.” Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama said now everyone should support Obama’s goal of a nuclear weapon-free world.
    Princeton University presidential historian Fred I. Greenstein said awarding the prize to Obama “seems like premature canonization” and could bring scorn to the awards committee. “I don’t think it will bring him any political advantage in the United States, but I doubt that it will be damaging either,” Greenstein said.
    Arms Control
    Daryl Kimball, Executive Director of the Arms Control Association in Washington, said it was “an exciting morning” with the announcement of the prize for Obama’s work against nuclear weapons. “Before the election, Obama came out clearly in support of a broad, balanced agenda to reduce and eliminate the nuclear risk.”
    Former U.S. ambassador to Germany John Kornblum said Obama has defined and positioned U.S. diplomacy and worldwide opinion differently. The prize “is part of this resonance.”
    By contrast, former Nobel Peace Prize winner and Polish President Lech Walesa said the prize was handed out too quickly. “He hasn’t made such a contribution. He’s proposing things, getting started, but he still has to do something.”
    Choosing Obama is “highly political,” said Nicole Bacharan, associate researcher at the National Foundation of Political Sciences in Paris. The Nobel jury “chose a symbol over completed actions.”
    Cooperation on Afghanistan
    Obama is also attempting to increase international cooperation on Afghanistan, where U.S. and other Western forces have been fighting since 2001. The president is currently mulling a shift in strategy in the country with his top military advisers.
    “Obama is an inspirational leader,” said Ahmed Nader Nadery, a member of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission. “Afghans worry that his pragmatism may lead him to reduce the U.S. commitment as it becomes more politically difficult” Nadery said. The commission’s chairwoman, Sima Samar, was a leading candidate for this year’s prize, analysts said.
    Previous winners include Finland’s Martti Ahtisaari in 2008 for promoting peace talks, Gore’s 2007 win was for his work on the environment while Bangladesh’s Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank won in 2006 for giving loans to the poor. In 2005, the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency and its head won for preventing the military use of nuclear energy and Kenya’s Wangari Maathai was the first environmentalist to win in 2004.
    Diplomacy Center Stage
    “Multilateral diplomacy is again central, with emphasis on the role the United Nations and other international institutions should play,” Nobel’s Jagland said of the Obama award. “Dialogue and negotiations are the preferred method to solve even the most difficult international conflicts.”
    Obama used a June 4 speech at Cairo University to address Muslims, pledging to “seek a new beginning” for the U.S. and the Islamic world and end a “cycle of suspicion and discord.” The comments were an effort by Obama to lift U.S. standing with Muslims as the administration works to reignite the Middle East peace process, fight Islamic insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan, and choke off support for al-Qaeda.
    Working for Peace
    “There’s a lot more that Obama needs to achieve for peace and for the Palestinian people in order to receive this award,” Fawzi Barhoum, Hamas spokesman in the Gaza Strip, said in a telephone interview. The U.S., European Union and Israel brand Hamas, which controls Gaza, a terrorist organization. “So far nothing has changed in the Obama administration’s policies from previous governments.”
    Other Arab politicians said they hoped the award would strengthen Obama’s hand in Middle East peace negotiations. The decision may “provide a stimulus for peace,” said Lebanon’s foreign minister, Fawzi Salloukh.
    “Very few leaders, if at all, were able to change the mood of the entire world in such a short while with such profound impact,” said Israeli President Shimon Peres, co-winner of the 1994 Nobel award.
    The prize, along with other honors for literature, physics, medicine and chemistry, was created by Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel in his will and first awarded in 1901. Past laureates include Martin Luther King Jr. and groups such as the International Committee of the Red Cross.
    “We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty,” the Nelson Mandela Foundation said on behalf of its founder.
    The peace prize is worth 10 million kronor ($1.4 million). Past laureates include Desmond Tutu and Mother Teresa.
    Prizes for literature, chemistry, medicine and physics, are picked by the Stockholm-based Nobel Foundation.

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize for Reviving Diplomacy (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

you beat me too it bohemian. Congratulation Mr. Obama from all of us here at USA carry. We are happy for you. Bohemian and HK4u wanted to send an extra special congratulations on winning this most prestige honour. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jwtollett21 View Post
    you beat me too it bohemian. Congratulation Mr. Obama from all of us here at USA carry. We are happy for you. Bohemian and HK4u wanted to send an extra special congratulations on winning this most prestige honour. LOL

WASHINGTON - Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Michael Steele released the following statement today:
    "The real question Americans are asking is, 'What has President Obama actually accomplished?' It is unfortunate that the president's star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights. One thing is certain - President Obama won't be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action."

Are you kidding me? Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize?:
    http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=2018

5. Speak for yourself.

Don't you think it's a bit presumptuos of you to speak for the rest of us here? I, for one, am not in a congratulatory mood. I'm actually sitting here scratching my head thinking HE HASN"T DONE ANYTHING!
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

being sarcastic. just aggravating mainly. I am truly happy though.

7. Why?

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know why.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

How does Obama winning the 2009 Peace Prize for striving for world wide nuclear disarmament equate to the disarming of America, as per your thread title? Cannot we keep our arms, disarm the rest of the nuclear and atomic world, and keep everyone safe? I understand that many people don't like the idea of the USA being the world's police, but it seems to me that it's a good way to do things. Just my opinion, yours may vary.

Do not Include me in your congratulations, This man has got to be the Anti-Christ. What in *****creation has he do to deserve this? NOTHING>>> This man is leading this country to the verge of civil war and you want to celebrate that? He is certainly no Mother Teresa... From here on out the honor of a Nobel Piece Price will mean no more that a free White castle hamberger... Speaking of Honor... Mr Toilet, Where are you from, Canada, England or someplace else?
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    How does Obama winning the 2009 Peace Prize for striving for world wide nuclear disarmament equate to the disarming of America, as per your thread title? Cannot we keep our arms, disarm the rest of the nuclear and atomic world, and keep everyone safe? I understand that many people don't like the idea of the USA being the world's police, but it seems to me that it's a good way to do things. Just my opinion, yours may vary.
    The guy was nominated for the Nobel prize for his hype 2 weeks after he took office...

What would you call it when the guy with the only Arm capable of defending us against anything known on earth, says he is going to take it apart and not use it even if the same is used on us?...
    Sounds like Disarmament to me...

You don't bring a knife or a bat to a gun fight...

And you don't bring a speech when someone has Nuked a major city in the U.S.

How you ask? how does the ability to defend our Country (or our planet for that matter, from big chunks of rocks for instance) from any force that may be brought against us, using equal or greater than that which may be brought against us sound for starters?

There is no way that the Russians or or others are going to not have the same thing we do if they can get it...

Heck we cannot or will not even disarm N. Korea ...

Not withstanding it is one of the best sources of energy on the planet, and he actually thinks he can give some speech and put the Atomic Genie back in the bottle...

For what ??????? Maybe the 1.4 Trillion $ deficit , or maybe the non - stimulus Stimulus Package, ummm he didnt do anything in the senate , Maybe the crap job he has done as Pres. Might be the great people he has put in as his advisers (czars) no that cant be it, hmmm think he did give the ok for Partial Birth Abortion. I give up if you all find out why ( and i mean the real reason ) let me know!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast