Carry in church vs. church culture - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry in church vs. church culture

Our church is VERY gun friendly. Even though it's not made public many people every service are armed. One thing that we do that I think helps break the taboo about guns is have outing and menís fellowships to the range. In the cooler months, several times a year the men get together, have breakfast, and head out to one of outdoor ranges. Several of us bring a nice selection of firearms and we spend the day shooting. You may want to talk to the pastor about heading up something like that.

Best of luck....
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Our church is VERY gun friendly. Even though it's not made public many people every service are armed. One thing that we do that I think helps break the taboo about guns is have outing and menís fellowships to the range. In the cooler months, several times a year the men get together, have breakfast, and head out to one of outdoor ranges. Several of us bring a nice selection of firearms and we spend the day shooting. You may want to talk to the pastor about heading up something like that.

Best of luck....

Same thing at our church.
    Our church school even has a championship "skeet" team; where elementary to high school students compete.

One thing that people tend to forget is that in most churches the Pastor is not the ruling authority of the church and in too many cases the Pastor also forgets this. Here in SC carrying in a church is illegal without permission of the ruling body of the church which would be the Deacons, Session, Elders or whatever term is used. It would help to get the Pastor on our side which would make it much easier but one would also have to convince the ruling board also or have the board overrule the Pastor. In our church most of the members (at least the male members) are hunters or have been around guns all their lives but I don't know if any actually carry regularly. However we did have a CWP instructor come and speak at one of our Men of the Church dinners so it isn't like there is much anti sentiment.

For the most part I find little anti gun sentiment in the community but little activisim toward liberalizing the laws. I did have one Sheriff tell me that he estimated that 50% of all men over 60 in his county carried a gun in their pocket but few had permits or were in any mood to get one. The basic thought is behave yourself and don't worry about it.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular_Joe View Post
    VA law states that state citizens can't carry into a "place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held" unless the person has a "good and sufficient reason".

My church meets in a public school, so carrying is not a legal option. We are planning to move into a permanent location in the future so I am sure many folks will find that a "good and sufficient reason" is the safety of self and family.

However, our senior pastor - who often sets church culture - does not have a background that involves firearms nor is he comfortable even talking about the issue. I know folks will CC, but the attitude will remain negative towards the use of firearms for self defense.

For those that have been through this or that live in places where the church leadership is more 2A supportive, any suggestions on how this church culture can be influenced to be 2A-friendly?
    I am almost positive that our church would not like the fact that I carry anytime I go there, but I don't care. That chuch in Colorado, that got attacked about two years ago, is why I carry there. I don't know of any city ordanances that prohibit CC in churches here, but I still carry there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    +1. Reminds me of the patriot guard guy who felt compelled to announce his CCW status to the LEO, or the various CCW badge and ID threads that get started from time to time. What a bunch of nonsense. People who feel the need to wear their CCW status on their sleeve are disturbed and should really think twice about what they are doing out there before they get themselves or someone else hurt.

If it's that big a deal either leave it at home or don't go to church. But whatever you do, don't make a public issue out of it.

What part of CC does the OP not understand. I can appreciate asking for permission but my CC is not up for discussion, Nor is it anyone business.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Back when I lived in NC several of us carried in church every Sunday.
    The pastor encouraged this as he was very security aware.
    Since I now live in SC I don't carry but have thought about approaching the pastor here, I think it may be already happening as the church has "security people" I will likely wait until I am a little more involved in functions before broaching the subject.

So tell me again what the purpose of the "religion & guns" forum is? I thought certain people didn't want discussion of religion. In fact, they seemed to hate it. So, what the hell are they doing in this forum? One of 'em disparaged going to church and the other made a crude joke regarding the size of his manhood. I must be missing something.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by Safebustr View Post
    Back when I lived in NC several of us carried in church every Sunday.
    The pastor encouraged this as he was very security aware.
    Since I now live in SC I don't carry but have thought about approaching the pastor here, I think it may be already happening as the church has "security people" I will likely wait until I am a little more involved in functions before broaching the subject.
    Why don't you just ask whoever heads up the Security people, what does it take to be a part of the team??

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Just another victim disarmament zone. If posting places as off-limits to firearms would deter anyone then why don't we just take it another step and put up signs in dark alleys that say "No Crime Allowed"?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

The Southern Bapt. Convention just OK'd CCP holders carrying in church. Was at a deacon's meeting when it was announced by a delegate. I chuckled and told them that I had been carrying for 8-10 years. No one had any idea that I did. There are several of the church body that carry and I have a buddy pastor that carries all the time also.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast