Religion and Self-Defense - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion and Self-Defense

1. Quote Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
    it was a joke!
    And a good one. But I really liked what Ringo had to say too!

I don't completely agree, in that I think there are spiritual ramifications "turning the other cheek." Strictly from the Christian perspective, it seems inarguable that we should strive for the same love and consideration for our fellow man that Christ did. Jesus "gave" his life on the cross, but he "did not give" it up before then. To turn the other cheek when good can come of it is always noble. To die a senseless death is, well, senseless. And even worse, to allow someone else to die a senseless death because one has "issues" on the topic of self defense is just sad. I would not stand between a man and our God over his if someones "issues" cost me my life, but I can tell you that no one will have the chance to do that if it be up to me!

I'm here to serve God, and as a corollary to that, I'm here to serve mankind. Protection, safe-keeping, and the like are all just part of the job. I might lay down my life to allow someone a real opportunity to change theirs for the better. I say may because, obviously, I haven't done that. I hope that I would. But, as a rule, there is no spiritual ground to be gained by allowing a gross act of immorality terminating in death to continue unchecked. If Jesus taught that the Sabboth "should" be broken under the old law in order to save a lamb from "possible" danger, then how the more so we must be responsible for the safe-keeping of our fellow man, saved or not.

I must say though, for those that just aren't up to it, I would never wish you harm for that anymore than I'd wish you harm in general. Just please be gentle with me as I continue to look out for the both of us to the best of my ability!

Blog Entries
    Hmmn, Thank heavens for the document “The Family: A Proclamation to the World" given to us by a living prophet. This scripture states, as a man, it is your responsability to provide for and PROTECT your family. This LDS member has no issues with self defense.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

Religion and self defense

Me personally as a "christian" will always protect my family of 6 kids and my wife. I personally dont care about what my old pastor had to say about bearing arms, I've had a firearm since I was 8yrs old, and that was 22yrs ago. I'm geting my CCW in jan. And in Mn it's only a concealed carry and will OC when and if its ever passed, (unless i'm wrong and Mn has an OC) and I personally will use it to protect my family. Yes I believe in God and heaven and hell.nut my 2nd amendment rights come before my faith that I found after knowing about firearms and the benefit and allowing me to understand that they taught me disicipline and responsibility more than my "faith". So in MHO I'd rather carry than worry about what a church thinks.

Thornton8000

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    And a good one. But I really liked what Ringo had to say too!

I don't completely agree, in that I think there are spiritual ramifications "turning the other cheek." Strictly from the Christian perspective, it seems inarguable that we should strive for the same love and consideration for our fellow man that Christ did. Jesus "gave" his life on the cross, but he "did not give" it up before then. To turn the other cheek when good can come of it is always noble. To die a senseless death is, well, senseless. And even worse, to allow someone else to die a senseless death because one has "issues" on the topic of self defense is just sad. I would not stand between a man and our God over his if someones "issues" cost me my life, but I can tell you that no one will have the chance to do that if it be up to me!

I'm here to serve God, and as a corollary to that, I'm here to serve mankind. Protection, safe-keeping, and the like are all just part of the job. I might lay down my life to allow someone a real opportunity to change theirs for the better. I say may because, obviously, I haven't done that. I hope that I would. But, as a rule, there is no spiritual ground to be gained by allowing a gross act of immorality terminating in death to continue unchecked. If Jesus taught that the Sabboth "should" be broken under the old law in order to save a lamb from "possible" danger, then how the more so we must be responsible for the safe-keeping of our fellow man, saved or not.

I must say though, for those that just aren't up to it, I would never wish you harm for that anymore than I'd wish you harm in general. Just please be gentle with me as I continue to look out for the both of us to the best of my ability!

Excellent post, Strider...

Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a rifle, sell your cloak and buy a Winchester lever action.
    The price of ammo must have been a lot less back then.

since all of these religious paths spring from comman roots.........Beg to differ on that point sir. All religions do not spring from common roots.
    Back to the topic of the thread: Will stir the pot here a bit--only ignorant(without adequate knowledge) "Christians" will not protect their family or person. Jesus Himself said to be gentle as a dove but wise as a snake. He also said that He did not come to break the law(of Moses/prophets) but to fulfill them(and the Old Testament). When the walls were being rebuilt around Jerusalem the workers kept their weapons on them. There were watchmen who would blow their horns if danger arose. David kept his bow arm strong. In the Garden of Gethsemane the guards ear was cut off by a sword wearing disciple. He did not chide him for wearing the sword but by an attitude that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. In Luke @ 22 Jesus gives clear orders to not go out unarmed. The Bible also tells us that a man that will not provide for his family is worse than an infidel. Protection is part of "providing". Why let someone injure/kill a family member or yourself but make sure you feed them. We are to "provide" for the family.
    God wants us to live at peace with our neighbor-to treat them as you would want them to treat yourself. He does not intend for us to be slaughtered by some demon possessed minion of the devil.
    I have absolutely no qualms about defending myself/family/friends even to the point of deadly force. I had rather ask for forgiveness than to be a "notch" on some scumbag's pistol handle.

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    since all of these religious paths spring from comman roots.........Beg to differ on that point sir. All religions do not spring from common roots.
    I never said that all religions spring from comman roots, please re-read my original posting. What I did say is that most of the more comman western religions spring from comman roots. These include, Christianity (Including Catholicism, Protestantism, and Mormanism), Judahism, Islam, Sihkism, and Zorroastrianism.

Sorry "G". Some of those are not "western" religions. They are on the rise but based on far eastern and mid eastern roots. Even "Christianity" as we understand it today springs from the Eastern end of the Mediterranean basin. I am so very thankful that the Protestant Reformation took the "church" back closer to where it should be. America sprang largely from those seeking religious freedom.

10. Pov

So it seems that most are quite familiar with Christianity based arguments for and against self-defense. Does anyone have any insight as to how Hindus and Buddists deal with the issue? Perhaps with references rather than conjecture?

Not trying to hijack this wonderfully enlightening thread, but would someone answer a question? Why do most States CCW laws restrict carrying in churches? It's a valid question. Does being in church provide some safe haven from a criminal trying to rob the collection plate at gun point?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast