Religion and Self-Defense
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion and Self-Defense

Question Religion and Self-Defense

As I have read the newspapers, magazines and the Net, listened to the TV and radio and it seems that today's judo-christian beliefs are more passive than anything else.

I have had discussions with religious leaders and almost everyone of them state that having a weapon and defending yourself is wrong if you use deadly force.

When I grew up the church I went to expressly stated that defending yourself and your family was demanded in the bible. They often quoted chapters and verses to back up their statements.

After I got out of the Army and got married, I started attending a local church and almost all of the local churches no longer advocate this belief.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators! I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Liberalism is like cancer, it spreads if nothing is done about it. At some point there is no remedy. If a church preaches that you can't protect yourself and others then it's time to find another church!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Liberalism is like cancer, it spreads if nothing is done about it. At some point there is no remedy. If a church preaches that you can't protect yourself and others then it's time to find another church!
    Some Cancer treatments;
    Radiation
    Surgery
    Chemotherapy

Which ones will work on those pesky liberals?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Yep, that about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    As I have read the newspapers, magazines and the Net, listened to the TV and radio and it seems that today's judo-christian beliefs are more passive than anything else.

I have had discussions with religious leaders and almost everyone of them state that having a weapon and defending yourself is wrong if you use deadly force.

When I grew up the church I went to expressly stated that defending yourself and your family was demanded in the bible. They often quoted chapters and verses to back up their statements.

After I got out of the Army and got married, I started attending a local church and almost all of the local churches no longer advocate this belief.
    Don't let anyone steer you wrong. It's still in the Bible and Jesus even told some that if they didn't have a sword to sell their cloak and buy one.

Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a rifle, sell your cloak and buy a Winchester lever action.

Once again I post the rules here:

Keep all religion discussions in this forum. Due to the many different views, please refrain from ALL FIGHTING, BICKERING, and INSTIGATING. Anyone breaking these rules will be banned.

Pay particular attention to "INSTIGATING".

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Once again I post the rules here:

Keep all religion discussions in this forum. Due to the many different views, please refrain from ALL FIGHTING, BICKERING, and INSTIGATING. Anyone breaking these rules will be banned.

Pay particular attention to "INSTIGATING".
    ron even though the rules say no instigating it is obvious there are a couple that get away with violating this rule at will. I wonder if this will ever be enforced.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    ron even though the rules say no instigating it is obvious there are a couple that get away with violating this rule at will. I wonder if this will ever be enforced.
    +1. Seems to be quite the double standard, here. I honestly don't get it at all. They bitched, screamed, and hollered about religious discussion til Luke set up a specific forum for that. And then they pile into that forum and continue with their badgering. And of course, we're all supposed to smile meekly and accept whatever they choose to throw at us. Not quite my style, which should be readily apparent by now.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post

There is nothing passive about the "Judeo" part of your statement. I'm not sure why "Judeo" still gets linked with Christianity as much as it does. It's a lot of the Levitical law that gives the baiters the ammunition to make it all look dark and nasty. This will be the fifth time or so I mention context.

You mentioned being in the Army. I take it that you were able to come to justify that. How is owning a firearm outside the military different?

Peace!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast