John Quincy Adams. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Quincy Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    Maybe the focus should be christianity,if he believes it is most dangerous, or better yet the dangers of religion.
    Almost anything can be dangerous in some way. Contextually speaking, violent behavior being justfied through religious texts appears to be the most predonimant in the Quran. I know verses can be pulled from just about every kind of text, my point is in which ones make it the clearest.

Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion, but I thought I would contriblute mine!

He is also quoted saying:

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, December 27, 1816
    You're correct; Christianty is the bloodiest religion.

[Millions "more" Christians and Jews have been slaughtered and murdered in cold blood by people from other religions.]

It's a religious site, you shouldn't expect to see any sort evidence/references/factual representation. I do find it funny they try to use an atheist to further their agenda though.
    And here I thought the rationale for this forum was that those not interested in, or who have a virulent hatred of, religious discussion would not be exposed to it.

Ol' dopey me...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    And here I thought the rationale for this forum was that those not interested in, or who have a virulent hatred of, religious discussion would not be exposed to it.

Ol' dopey me...
    Yes the discussion for or against it. The only thing i have a hatred for is the constant blasting of anothers religion, especially when there's no one here to defend any of it so it just breeds even more hatred.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post

Ol' dopey me...

He presents a projection of himself, it's all there in his signature.
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

For those who know nothing about Islam attacking America before the 13 Colonies became The United State of American.
    Islamic piracy had been plaguing American shipping in the Mediterranean Sea for over 20 years, seizing the cargoes and the sailors, taking both back to Islamic lands and enslaving those American seamen who sometimes could be ransomed.

“Adopting from the sublime conception of the Mosaic law, the doctrine of one omnipotent God; he connected indissolubly with it, the audacious falsehood, that he was himself his prophet and apostle. Adopting from the new Revelation of Jesus, the faith and hope of immortal life, and of future retribution, he humbled it to the dust by adapting all the rewards and sanctions of his religion to the gratification of the sexual passion. He poisoned the sources of human felicity at the fountain, by degrading the condition of the female sex, and the allowance of polygamy; and he declared distinguishing and exterminating war, as a part of his religion, against all the rest of mankind. THE ESSENCE OF HIS DOCTRINE WAS VIOLENCE AND LUST; TO EXALT THE BRUTAL OVER THE SPIRITUAL PART OF HUMAN NATURE (Capitals in original)...Between these two religions, thus contrasted in their characters, a war of twelve hundred years has already raged. The war is yet flagrant...While the merciless and dissolute dogmas of the false prophet shall furnish motives to human action, there can never be peace upon earth, and good will towards men.” John Quincy Adams

And Adams concluded: “As the essential principle of his [Muhammad’s] faith is the subjugation of others by the sword; it is only by force, that his false doctrines can be dispelled, and his power annihilated.”
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Here is another article;

Tripolitan War
    Tripolitan War (tripol'itun) [key], 1800–1815, conflict between the United States and the Barbary States. Piracy had become a normal source of income in the N African Barbary States long before the United States came into existence. The new republic adopted the common European practice of paying tribute to buy immunity from raids. Difficulties began in 1800 when William Bainbridge, the officer who took tribute to the dey of Algiers, was compelled to go under the Ottoman flag to Constantinople. When the pasha of Tripoli demanded (1800) more tribute than previously agreed upon, the United States refused payment.

Hostilities broke out in 1801, but Commodore Richard Dale's blockade of Tripoli failed to daunt the pirates. President Thomas Jefferson then decided to settle the affair by negotiation, but his envoy Richard Valentine Morris could not reach an agreement with the pasha. The war continued. Tunis was more or less drawn into the struggle because of ill feeling between the bey's court and William Eaton, the U.S. consul there.

After Eaton and Morris quarreled over the campaign, the blockade of Tripoli was lifted, and the U.S. government considered resuming tribute payments. Edward Preble then succeeded Morris as the U.S. commander in the Mediterranean. Preble dispatched the frigate Philadelphia under Bainbridge to resume the blockade. A storm drove the ship aground. It was captured, and Bainbridge and his crew were imprisoned. Stephen Decatur and a small group of men were sent (Feb., 1804) into the harbor. They set fire to the Philadelphia and destroyed her.

Despite this exploit Preble was still unable to take Tripoli, and, in Sept., 1804, he was succeeded by Samuel Barron. Meanwhile William Eaton had convinced the U.S. government of his plan for supporting a rival claimant for the rule of Tripoli by a land expedition. Eaton landed in Egypt and after an arduous march took the port of Derna. Before he could advance farther, the war was ended. John Rodgers, sent out with a strong force in May, 1805, negotiated a settlement in June. The U.S. prisoners were ransomed, and Tripoli renounced all rights to halt or to levy tribute on American ships.

Though the most favorable agreement yet made with a Barbary power, the treaty was not a brilliant triumph and did not end the threat of piracy to U.S. shipping. During the later Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, the pirates increased their raids on American commerce. Algiers actually declared war on the United States. In 1815 a squadron under Decatur forced the dey of Algiers to sign a treaty renouncing U.S. tribute, and the so-called Algerine War was ended. After 1815 the United States no longer paid tribute to any Barbary State.

See G. W. Allen, Our Navy and the Barbary Corsairs (1905, repr. 1965); D. B. Chidsey, The Wars in Barbary (1971); F. Lambert, The Barbary Wars (2005); R. Zacks, The Pirate Coast (2005).
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Mr. Hamberger, if there is some way of including "Professor of American History" in your credentials, I would second the motion for it! Thanks for the history lesson.

Thomas Jefferson knew all to well what the political idiots of our day choose to ignore: keep the terrorists off of US soil and kill them on their own soil! No constitutional rights for enemy combatents wearing no uniform, thank you.

It took me a few years to figure it out, but most excellent history lesson above is why "To the shores of Tripoli" is in the Marine's Hymn. I have learned so much about history AFTER 20 years of schooling!

Great post Ed and thanks for your past service to our country....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Great post Ed and thanks for your past service to our country....
    Out of curiosity where is the quote you have by Father Corapi actually attributed to him?
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast