Bible quiz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bible quiz

Bible quiz

So I found this video that I thought I would share with everyone. its kind of an informative quiz on the facts of the bible.

video

Good find - just proves you can't be wrong quoting the bible.

But they won't get it.

I say again, anyone can take bits and pieces of the Bible and make it say what ever you want. That's all this video did which proves my point. The Bible must be read and taken in it's entirety to get the true meaning from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I say again, anyone can take bits and pieces of the Bible and make it say what ever you want.
    Isn't that what every different bible following church does as well? Pick and choose the parts that they will follow. Which could be why there are so many different offshoots of christianity in itself. Not to mention all the other religions that are around....

On the topic of context, let me present this informative video:

YouTube - Context!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    Isn't that what every different bible following church does as well? Pick and choose the parts that they will follow. Which could be why there are so many different offshoots of christianity in itself. Not to mention all the other religions that are around....
    I agree that this is the cause of religious separation and the formation of so many churches. There are a very few churches that don't teach single versus but teach entire chapters and books of the Bible. Anytime people become involved with something the chances of error and misunderstanding is always prevalent. If the Bible is read in it's entirety, and the over-all view is taken, there's much to be learned.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I say again, anyone can take bits and pieces of the Bible and make it say what ever you want. That's all this video did which proves my point. The Bible must be read and taken in it's entirety to get the true meaning from it.
    The Bible is read and taken in its entirety to mean many things by those who actually read it. This is not a supposition. There are thousands of churches interpreting the Bible differently, and of course millions of people who do the same thing.

This is because:

1) The Bible is filled with inconsistent and mutually exclusive passages
    2) The Bible is filled with nuance and "hints" as well as some "written in stone" passages
    3) All of this add up to REQUIRING the reader to INTERPRET, and that interpretation depends a great deal on the ideals and beliefs of the reader

The video is an excellent demonstration that the Bible (1) contains errors and (2) contains contradictions. Therefore it is prima-fascia NOT an infallible document. If you actually read the Bible and still BELIEVE it is the infallible word of God, you simply are ignoring what you just read.

These books were written by iron/bronze-age desert dwellers with little knowledge of physics, medicine, cosmology, geology, etc. This is clear to even little children who read it. It takes a huge suspension of disbelief to accept much of what is in the Bible, and many of us are TRAINED to do this from the time we are small children.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The Bible is read and taken in its entirety to mean many things by those who actually read it. This is not a supposition. There are thousands of churches interpreting the Bible differently, and of course millions of people who do the same thing.

This is because:

2) The Bible is filled with nuance and "hints" as well as some "written in stone" passages
    3) All of this add up to REQUIRING the reader to INTERPRET, and that interpretation depends a great deal on the ideals and beliefs of the reader

The video is an excellent demonstration that the Bible (1) contains errors and (2) contains contradictions. Therefore it is prima-fascia NOT an infallible document. If you actually read the Bible and still BELIEVE it is the infallible word of God, you simply are ignoring what you just read.

These books were written by iron/bronze-age desert dwellers with little knowledge of physics, medicine, cosmology, geology, etc. This is clear to even little children who read it. It takes a huge suspension of disbelief to accept much of what is in the Bible, and many of us are TRAINED to do this from the time we are small children.
    Like a skydiver in freefall who, after much reasoning, thought and discussion, has dismissed the concept of the ground under him, you better hope you are right!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

This is because:

If you really look closely at these church's they are not teaching the Bible in it's entirety. They are instead taking verses and building on them. This is how the "snake handlers" came about and how many church's became organized. This is demonstrated when they ask you to open your Bible to a particular verse, or a few verses, and then have a sermon on that very small part of the Bible. It's kind of like teaching world history. You can take a time period here and a time period there and make it look like Earth has always been the most peaceful place to exist. You can also take a time period here and a time period there and make it look like the most violent place to ever exist. You need to teach the entire Bible just as you need to teach the entire history.

Soooo... what you are saying is that most all religions are teaching it wrong? Then if you were to to suggest one religion that has is down right which would it be?

How do you decipher which guy at the front of the church is teaching an overview of the bible and that will never refer back to the specifics listed within it?
    I imagine that once you start spouting off the specifics then you would be bound to only take the passages and teachings that you want to hear, and not the bible in its entirety...

On a different note, isn't how you learn different lessons from a story is by taking different parts of the story that YOU as an individual relates to, then build off of that? Take the story of the three little pigs for example... you could interpret from the story the obvious point to the story, that you should take the time to build your shelter up to code for your area that will provide you the most protection from the elements around you. Then again someone could interpret the entirety of the story as HOLY CRAP they have pigs that build houses and can talk, and talking wolves that blow down those buildings to eat those scrumptious pigs! From this interpretation we should learn that pigs are liars and have been generally lazy when around humans, because they have the ability to talk and to build houses.

Maybe I have generalized a bit, because the story of three little pigs does not have bold concrete direction to kill all the children of the non-believing wolves... but I think you get the idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast