Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice?

Good points tcox4freedom, the same people who claim that weightlifting is a Luciferian activity seem to forget that Paul Anderson (Champion Weightlifter) was a Christian and before passing away founded a Christian youth outreach organization.

FWIW, I lift weights six days a week and do not feel that doing so threatens the religious beliefs that I or anyone else holds. I don't practice Yoga, but I thought he was an interesting character in the Star Wars series of movies.

Anything you allow to take over your life and place before your Christian beliefs is anti-Christian. Remember that some practices today are remnants of pagan practices. Tithes and offerings are the modern sacrifices. Wine drinking is accepted in many church's while others don't condone it. As I said before it comes down to following your conscious (heart). If the little voice in you says it's wrong it probably is, at least for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Remember that some practices today are remnants of pagan practices. Tithes and offerings are the modern sacrifices.
    Huh????
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Huh????
    Yeah maybe I said that a little wrong. I was trying to give an example of how religion grew. In the early years animals were sacrificed as "offerings" and as people matured as a race this became a cruel practice. It then changed to using incense, food items and, in time, financial offerings. I know my original statement seemed strange to say the least but I really didn't mean anything bad by it. It was simply an example of things accepted in the past that now would be considered anti-Christian. It is just a matter of "offering" part of your finances. Before it was goats today it's money that's all I meant. By the way, I do give tithes or offerings through my wife to her church. I don't consider it evil. Again it was only given as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Yeah maybe I said that a little wrong. I was trying to give an example of how religion grew. In the early years animals were sacrificed as "offerings" and as people matured as a race this became a cruel practice. It then changed to using incense, food items and, in time, financial offerings. I know my original statement seemed strange to say the least but I really didn't mean anything bad by it. It was simply an example of things accepted in the past that now would be considered anti-Christian. It is just a matter of "offering" part of your finances. Before it was goats today it's money that's all I meant. By the way, I do give tithes or offerings through my wife to her church. I don't consider it evil. Again it was only given as an example.
    Understood. Nothing of God is pagan. Tithes & offerings are given (in Christianity) in obedience to God through faith in His word & His promises. MALACHI 3:8-12
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

The Advent Wreath, Yule Tree, Easter Egg, and candlelight service are all borrowed pagan customs. December 25 is signifigant because it was the Roman holiday of Saternalia. The day Easter is celebrated on is based on the lunar calendar.

Christianity barrows a lot from other religious traditions, I don't see why weightlifting or yoga would be any different.

Long ago I was into Kung Fu fairly deeply and as a Christian was alarmed at the references to "deeper" practices. I still use some of the stretches and exercises and do not consider them evil. Paul did write about not doing what others consider sin as it detracts from your witness.

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Long ago I was into Kung Fu fairly deeply and as a Christian was alarmed at the references to "deeper" practices. I still use some of the stretches and exercises and do not consider them evil. Paul did write about not doing what others consider sin as it detracts from your witness.
    This is something I'm struggling with today. I know that matial arts can be very good for self-discipline; exercise and self-defense. (I think this could be very good for my 10yo son.)

Several of my son's friends take Tay Qwon Doh at our local YMCA. I'm really thinking of allowing my son to do the same. HOWEVER, even though the class is taught by a very respectable "christian" instructor AND he stays away from the eastern mysticism, I still feel conflicted.

I had planned on teaching him some of these things myself. But, because of health issues I can no longer participate in such vigorous activities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a "Yoga" related note:
    I read an article today about a "Southern Baptist" preacher speaking against christians doing yoga. He has been taking a lot of flak from the christian community.

He mentioned that when christians tell him they like yoga for exercise and pain relief; BUT they do not chant or anything like that. He tells them they really are NOT doing yoga.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    On a "Yoga" related note:
    I read an article today about a "Southern Baptist" preacher speaking against christians doing yoga. He has been taking a lot of flak from the christian community.

He mentioned that when christians tell him they like yoga for exercise and pain relief; BUT they do not chant or anything like that. He tells them they really are NOT doing yoga.

Any thoughts?
    It wasn't Fred Phelps was it?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It wasn't Fred Phelps was it?
    I'm not sure.
    I'll try and find the article online again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast