Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice?

  1. On the martial arts thing, if you are really worried about the "Eastern Practices", Brazillian JuJitsu, Krav Maga, plain old boxing or kick boxing are all valid alternatives to Eastern Martial arts.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I'm not sure.
    I'll try and find the article online again.
    Fred Phelps is the sorry knucklehead who keeps protesting at military funerals.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Fred Phelps is the sorry knucklehead who keeps protesting at military funerals.
    Then no, it was not him.

    It was some guy that was associated the the Southern Baptist Association.

  5. Using martial arts, yoga, or any other "gym type" activity to stay or get in shape would be considered constructive use of the time God gave me in my book. Paul handily conceded that a bit of exercise was a good thing!

    Yoga is not a religion. It is, however, a part of hindu culture, and hindi is a religion. We don't have to worry about things like that, we just have to keep our faith grounded in the infallible word of God (as Christians that is). Hindis, yogis, and "grasshopper's" have no power over us that we don't give them.

    I would sooner be afraid of the car that most of us have; which is both more likely to take our lives than any of the situations we prepare for in "self defense," and more likely to sway our souls by siphening off time & energy into the vanity of the American consumerism.

    Or the television that so many of us permit in our homes, and I doubt I need to justify that one!

    I practice yoga, and have a bit of martial arts under my belt. It is not unlikely that some perp will one day have a second-chance to get right with his God because I take him down, rather than shoot him. Its very likely that, barring accident, I will grow old healthier than the average American, and be less of a burden on society and my family. There is no doubt that I am currently better equipped to handle my every day for it, the only question I might present is whether or not it is worth the expense of time. When I look around at my saggy middle-aged peers, I have to conclude that it probably is.

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    There is no doubt that I am currently better equipped to handle my every day for it, the only question I might present is whether or not it is worth the expense of time. When I look around at my saggy middle-aged peers, I have to conclude that it probably is.
    And you'll probably be more self-reliant in your old age than your "saggy middle-aged peers".

  7. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    And you'll probably be more self-reliant in your old age

    I think so! But, lest I be thought to mislead, I have a few detectable sags myself! There seem to be a few things in life that we are just fated to, eh?

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    31
    Is it possible that my having a life threating illness and a Christian for most of my life that I was led to yoga by God in order to allow me to help myself physically and to relief the stress brought on my by the illness?
    The yellow jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
    and smiles as the puppets dance in the Court of the Crimson King

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by stormrider54 View Post
    Is it possible that my having a life threating illness and a Christian for most of my life that I was led to yoga by God in order to allow me to help myself physically and to relief the stress brought on my by the illness?
    I have a life threatening illness that I've been combating for almost 9yrs.

    I do believe God led me to "Alternative" medicine treatments in order to help me overcome this illness.

    However; God would NOT want me to "chant" (PRAY=YES) and call on some "FALSE" god (Jesus= YES); and he would not want me to do any "mind clearing" meditations.

    The Bible tells me to "meditate" on HIS word; and this is what I have done to survive.

  10. #29
    I just thought I'd chime in with my own opinion. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an atheist, though I do come from a Christian family. I offer my opinion only as a different perspective, and not to argue, mock anyone's beliefs, or incite anything (other than polite discussion).

    I don't see how attending a Yoga class means a Christian buys in to any spiritual or metaphysical component; I would assume they are getting what they want out of the class, and nothing more. I would think that a true Christian could take something like Yoga or Eastern martial arts and mentally filter it with their own beliefs, without feeling threatened by it.

    There are some obvious physical benefits to the sorts of stretching and strength-building involved with these activities. Am I correct in remembering the Bible essentially says the body is a temple, and is to be treated as such? If so, anything which (safely) enhances and respects the body is, taken by itself, a positive thing.

    I personally believe there are advantages to at least some of the mental aspects of them as well. Any meditation and "mind clearing" involved with these practices could be tailored by each individual to suit their beliefs with little difficulty. While Yoga's original "true" purpose may be to assist with reaching nirvana, no one can force a Christian to view it that way. A Christian may simply choose to clear their minds of the worldy, thus opening their minds to the Heavenly. As for chanting... well, if you view it as just a method to assist in calming your mind, and don't believe it has any special powers, then it doesn't. It's just a calming, repetitive noise. There's nothing mystical in that.

    Following this line of reasoning, I find it a little distressing anyone would actively speak out against something like this, or even worry about it overmuch. Why is it that I, as an atheist, don't worry that Yoga will "corrupt" a Christian's mind and drive them away from their faith, but many Christians seem to? Do you not trust each other's ability to determine what fits with your faith, and what does not?

    Trust yourselves and each other. Take what you want from it, make it positive, disregard the rest. Save your energy for fighting real fights.

    Just my $0.02.
    South Carolina CWP holder and proud member of GrassRoots GunRights

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionOne View Post
    I just thought I'd chime in with my own opinion. In the interest of full disclosure, I am an atheist, though I do come from a Christian family. I offer my opinion only as a different perspective, and not to argue, mock anyone's beliefs, or incite anything (other than polite discussion).

    I don't see how attending a Yoga class means a Christian buys in to any spiritual or metaphysical component; I would assume they are getting what they want out of the class, and nothing more. I would think that a true Christian could take something like Yoga or Eastern martial arts and mentally filter it with their own beliefs, without feeling threatened by it.

    There are some obvious physical benefits to the sorts of stretching and strength-building involved with these activities. Am I correct in remembering the Bible essentially says the body is a temple, and is to be treated as such? If so, anything which (safely) enhances and respects the body is, taken by itself, a positive thing.

    I personally believe there are advantages to at least some of the mental aspects of them as well. Any meditation and "mind clearing" involved with these practices could be tailored by each individual to suit their beliefs with little difficulty. While Yoga's original "true" purpose may be to assist with reaching nirvana, no one can force a Christian to view it that way. A Christian may simply choose to clear their minds of the worldy, thus opening their minds to the Heavenly. As for chanting... well, if you view it as just a method to assist in calming your mind, and don't believe it has any special powers, then it doesn't. It's just a calming, repetitive noise. There's nothing mystical in that.

    Following this line of reasoning, I find it a little distressing anyone would actively speak out against something like this, or even worry about it overmuch. Why is it that I, as an atheist, don't worry that Yoga will "corrupt" a Christian's mind and drive them away from their faith, but many Christians seem to? Do you not trust each other's ability to determine what fits with your faith, and what does not?

    Trust yourselves and each other. Take what you want from it, make it positive, disregard the rest. Save your energy for fighting real fights.

    Just my $0.02.
    I wish all atheists, or nonbelievers, would enter a religious conversation in the manner you have. I consider myself a Christian and the points you present about Yoga and martial arts are valid and those which I agree with. While there are many bonafide sins there are also many things that some want to present as sins that aren't necessarily. It is these things that each individual must consider carefully and follow what their conscience tells them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bring Your Guns To Church This Sunday...
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM
  2. Judge Declares Prayer Unconstitutional - Here's What You Can Do
    By Conservative Wife & Mom in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
  3. Is the Colt Commander REALLY the best Pistol?
    By Edvon in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
  4. POLITICALLY CORRECTED Glossary of Terms
    By Red Hat in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
  5. The most anti gun members of Congress
    By tattedupboy in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast