Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Yoga An Anti-Christian Practice?

1. Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I wish all atheists, or nonbelievers, would enter a religious conversation in the manner you have.
    Indeed! It was a very pleasant opinion to read!

One idea that I would like to "flesh out" a bit, is the referenece to yoga's "original purpose." Good luck figuring out what that was! I highly doubt that someone developed an idea one day (or even one lifetime) and called it "yoga- a path to nirvana." If it has been named such, then this probably stems from observed insight into the benefits it offers rather than any supposed origin. With this in mind, a christian walks the same world as any other, and those of all faith (dark arts dismissed) are progressing toward some heaven. I would sooner argue that things beneficial can be found on the path of righteousness. I would sooner argue that yoga is the development of physical exercise in a fashion that has been found beneficial, and that it is perfectly righteous to practice, and not unrighteous not to. Its just there. And what would satan want to paint black? Anything that would be truly beneficial. Anything on the path of righteousness.

I personally struggle withthe idea of being "called" to yoga. I don't know about that. But I'm certainly confident that God sends rain to the just and the unjust, giving them both water. If it is such an incredible blessing for a christian to give a cup of water, why would it be unacceptable to receive a cup of water from a non-christian who has some insight into improving the health of my body, or temple, as our atheist friend put it?

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Indeed! It was a very pleasant opinion to read!

One idea that I would like to "flesh out" a bit, is the referenece to yoga's "original purpose." Good luck figuring out what that was! I highly doubt that someone developed an idea one day (or even one lifetime) and called it "yoga- a path to nirvana." If it has been named such, then this probably stems from observed insight into the benefits it offers rather than any supposed origin. With this in mind, a christian walks the same world as any other, and those of all faith (dark arts dismissed) are progressing toward some heaven. I would sooner argue that things beneficial can be found on the path of righteousness. I would sooner argue that yoga is the development of physical exercise in a fashion that has been found beneficial, and that it is perfectly righteous to practice, and not unrighteous not to. Its just there. And what would satan want to paint black? Anything that would be truly beneficial. Anything on the path of righteousness.

I personally struggle withthe idea of being "called" to yoga. I don't know about that. But I'm certainly confident that God sends rain to the just and the unjust, giving them both water. If it is such an incredible blessing for a christian to give a cup of water, why would it be unacceptable to receive a cup of water from a non-christian who has some insight into improving the health of my body, or temple, as our atheist friend put it?
    Well said Strider!!

+1 for Condition one
    I agree with Ron. As a Christian I appreciate your point of view and the way you delivered it.

Just to clarify, I do not chant or worship any other God however I cannot say that this journey through life is completely in my control. My footsteps are led by another, to deny this is to deny God. I was led that direction at that time because it is what I needed, a sound mind through meditation which is my time to reflect on God and life. And through a sound body. My world has changed indeed.

The greatest joy of it all is that it is my journey and my life. I get to see events and situations unfold that are unbelievable and see things in this world go by knowing that I am being shown all things for a reason.

I do not have to worry, "many are called but few are chosen." Whenever I do fall short, the very thing that I would do I do not do and the very thing that I would not do I do. "Who can save me from this body of sin and death, Jesus Christ"

I am a very lucky and happy man but realize that the wages of sin is death and no one gets out of here alive especially me.
    Bottom line: Is yoga a anti-christian pratice? No. The reality for me is simple, I don't care if it is or not if God didn't want me there, i wouldn't be there.

There is a thing called faith.
    Great discussion, I hope to meet you all one day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234