It's Called Christmas - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Called Christmas

I have a nephew who doesn't believe in God, yet he celebrates Christmas. He doesn't work, but he celebrates Labor Day.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I have a nephew who doesn't believe in God, yet he celebrates Christmas. He doesn't work, but he celebrates Labor Day.
    Did he vote in the last election? Did he vote democrat?
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Merry Christmas.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Arrow Easter is also a coopted holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Easter is also celebrated on varying days. It's not about the exact day (which has long been lost in history) but simply remembering and celebrating the greatest gift in the world.
    Easter is also a coopted holiday from Roman culture. It gets its name from the Roman godess of fertility Astarte, hense the name. The reason for the varying dates of Easter has to do with how the lunar cycle matches up with the vernal equinox on the particular year. Unless you are an Orthodox Christian, they celibrate Easter on a fixed date to get away from all this pagan sillyness. The Easter Egg is also a pagan symbol.

You won't find any mention of Easter, Easter Eggs, Christmas trees, or Advent wreaths in the Bible. You will find all sorts of dietary guidelines which most Christians don't bother to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Easter is also a coopted holiday from Roman culture. It gets its name from the Roman godess of fertility Astarte, hense the name. The reason for the varying dates of Easter has to do with how the lunar cycle matches up with the vernal equinox on the particular year. Unless you are an Orthodox Christian, they celibrate Easter on a fixed date to get away from all this pagan sillyness. The Easter Egg is also a pagan symbol.

You won't find any mention of Easter, Easter Eggs, Christmas trees, or Advent wreaths in the Bible. You will find all sorts of dietary guidelines which most Christians don't bother to follow.
    I find it uncanny how closely the style, wording, and content of your posts reflect those of a banned member...

So how will you be celebrating Christmas? Or will you?

You seem to have missed the point. It's not the day that matters, only the reason for the celebration. I don't believe you're going to find the exact birthday of Christ or the exact day of his death and resurrection so one was picked to remember those events. This basic understanding can be shown in the following:

Romans 14:4-6 (King James Version)

4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
    Last edited by ronwill; 12-11-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Grammer

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I am simply acknowledging one thing; I believe in Christ... All the rest of this crap is meaningless to those who believe in Christ as the son of God..
    So historical truth is meaningless? I guess we can just make things up as we go along then?

So historical truth is meaningless? I guess we can just make things up as we go along then?
    Not sure who "we" encompasses...

I made nothing up... Again, none of this crap is meaningful to those who believe in the son of God... It matters not what day we celebrate him. I go to church tomorrow and celebrate him and at the table each night we thank him and celebrate him...

Well, nobody better start messing with Festivus of there'll be BIG trouble.

Festivus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

G50AE is correct and the Holiday was outlawed by the Churches until sometime in the 19th Century.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast