It's Called Christmas - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's Called Christmas

i really don't care !!!!

you got that right i really don't care what other people think because they don't care what it think i always did and always will wish all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and i will sing it whisle it !!! i work for a guy how is atheist and his wife is and children he even dist his oldist son because he changed !but the bastard has trees and lights and exchange gifts and the hole 9 yards and even has a company CHRISTMAS party and he gets upset when i call him a hipocrate SCREW THEM ALL and get out of my way !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    G50AE is correct and the Holiday was outlawed by the Churches until sometime in the 19th Century.
    You are correct to a point. Christmas was made illegal in the 1600's because of a "puritan" drive to do so. They forced it on a people even though many disagreed and this is exactly what is happening today. You can read more about this at:

Christmas — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Now I ask, why does it offend anyone so much for me to say "Merry Christmas" to them? It doesn't offend me if they say "Happy Holidays" back. I have always said everyone is entitled to their beliefs, it's when someone tries to force theirs on someone that makes it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    G50AE is correct and the Holiday was outlawed by the Churches until sometime in the 19th Century.

Was Christmas outlawed? Or was "celebration" of it outlawed because the day was too sacred?

I'd be ALL FOR outlawing the celebration of Christs birth, and let individuals honor his birth in their own way, with out all the corporate driven frenzy buying, driving us deeper into debt because the tv commercials prompt us to.

I finally found something which I liked about Muslims when I realized that they don't contribute to traffic jams Christmas shopping at the malls.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Now I ask, why does it offend anyone so much for me to say "Merry Christmas" to them?
    How many people have you offended saying that, and what did they say?
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    It shouldn't offend anyone. Just as "Merry Mythmas" shouldn't offend anyone.

We are responsible for our reactions to what others say or do.

I meant that in the "all inclusive". There are many who want the word "Christmas" removed from store adds, from television and you better not use that term on government property. Personally, I've only had one individual turn to me saying, "I'm atheist and don't celebrate Christmas." His actions, while showing annoyance (we'll call it that), wasn't belligerent. It was simply that he acted as if it offended him. Have we, as a people, become so self centered that anyone doing or saying something we don't agree with offends us? What happened to everyone having a right to their own opinions? I've said it before, I believe everyone has a right to believe what they want. The wrong is in trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

Appreciate that. Merry Christmas to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I meant that in the "all inclusive". There are many who want the word "Christmas" removed from store adds, from television and you better not use that term on government property. Personally, I've only had one individual turn to me saying, "I'm atheist and don't celebrate Christmas." His actions, while showing annoyance (we'll call it that), wasn't belligerent. It was simply that he acted as if it offended him. Have we, as a people, become so self centered that anyone doing or saying something we don't agree with offends us? What happened to everyone having a right to their own opinions? I've said it before, I believe everyone has a right to believe what they want. The wrong is in trying to force their personal beliefs on others.
    Seems as though the Christians are the self centered ones not wanting the sales or whatever to include the other winter holidays. I don't blame the ones that do change it either, they want to appeal to all customers. Christmas is a federally recognized holiday, I doubt there is any problem saying it on government property. This like many other things on this forum is so blown out of proportion it's unbelievable. Do you think if there was a 'No God' holiday or something to that effect and someone were to wish a Christian a happy no god day it would be taken well? Or even if a Muslim were to wish some of the people on this board a happy Ramadan, there would be cries of an outbreak of sharia law... How is telling someone merry Christmas or god bless you not forcing their beliefs on them?
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Seems as though the Christians are the self centered ones not wanting the sales or whatever to include the other winter holidays.
    You mean you didn't know that there is a double standard? Freedom of religion to most people on this forum is only acceptable if you are going to practice Christianity.

Seems as though the Christians are the self centered ones not wanting the sales or whatever to include the other winter holidays. I don't blame the ones that do change it either, they want to appeal to all customers. Christmas is a federally recognized holiday, I doubt there is any problem saying it on government property. This like many other things on this forum is so blown out of proportion it's unbelievable. Do you think if there was a 'No God' holiday or something to that effect and someone were to wish a Christian a happy no god day it would be taken well? Or even if a Muslim were to wish some of the people on this board a happy Ramadan, there would be cries of an outbreak of sharia law... How is telling someone merry Christmas or god bless you not forcing their beliefs on them?
    Saying "Merry Christmas" during this time of year, or "God Bless You" when you sneeze, is not forcing a belief on you. It is a courtesy and you don't have to believe in God or Christ. They're not taking anything away from you as are those who don't want even the Ten Commandments shown in public. As for Christmas you are free to say "Happy Holidays" or even "Bah, Humbug" back and it wouldn't offend me. Why should saying "Merry Christmas" offend you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast