Rhode Island Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhode Island Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

1. Contact your police department and ask for an application. What town do you live in? The PD is required by law to process applications, but many don't so you can take them to court if you want to... This was done once and the person won. You can read about Archer vs. McGarry here Citizens Rights Action League Rhode Island

The other option is to apply to the AG and give the reason you gave in your post and he will most likely give you a permit (if you satisfy all the other criteria) with a Target Range restriction.

3. Listen to NewportRI, I was a rifle shooter in RI, and the laws are a little more relaxed for rifles. My impression of the CCW process in RI was from other pistol shooters who applied for CCW from Patrick Lynch. If you do apply to the AG, just be specific on why you are requesting it. Don't know if you are from in state or out of state, but I was from in state, and never felt uncomfortable transporting my rifle in its case in the trunk. Just obey the traffic laws and you won't get hassled. Here in AZ if we get stopped, and we have a CCW, we are required to inform the officer that we have a CCW, that we have a firearm in the vehicle, and request the officer give specific instructions on what to do, and follow their instructions exactly. That makes things go very smoothly.

4. As far as transporting rifles... Its perfectly acceptable here in RI without a license, just be sensible about it. In fact, the CCW in RI is a "Pistol Permit".
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

5. I do live in RI, and I was looking at the AG application. So, I was looking for advice on what people might have used successfully as a reason to carry. I can't say I need it for my job, and don't have a record of violence against me or in my neighborhood. I didn't think they would approve a reason like - too lazy to go straight home from the range.

Non Resident CCW Permit in R

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Guns View Post
    i applied for the RI Non-Resident permit and all they approved me for was a permit while working. i asked if it could get reviewed because i was interested in a full carry and all they told me is that in RI they dont issue full carry. I told then that i go mostly up there on private matter alot more times that i go for work related.

anyone has an idea on what i should do next>?
    i am supposed to go pick it up this coming Monday.
    any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I am a resident of RI with a CCW permit. I would recommend contacting an Attorney. That has always worked for people who were denied. Let me know your results at [email protected]

Al

Non Resident CCW Permit in RI.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Guns View Post
    i applied for the RI Non-Resident permit and all they approved me for was a permit while working. i asked if it could get reviewed because i was interested in a full carry and all they told me is that in RI they dont issue full carry. I told then that i go mostly up there on private matter alot more times that i go for work related.

anyone has an idea on what i should do next>?
    i am supposed to go pick it up this coming Monday.
    any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I am a resident of RI with a CCW permit. I would recommend contacting an Attorney. That has always worked for people who were denied. Let me know your results at [email protected]

Al

Quote Originally Posted by jagia View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good reason the AG would qualify the average person? I have my blue card, but like others, I don't want the hassle of not being able to stop on the way to and from the range.
    The only way is to apply for a CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by cbreaker View Post
    Hey caldwelljoe what did you put for your "demonstrated need" to carry?

I'm going to take the Blue Card test tomorrow so I can buy an XD 40 and own one for range shooting. However, I'd like to eventually get a carry permit (largely so I'm not a slave to the firearm - only being able to drive it to and from the range - when I have it in the truck. I'd like to be able to stop somewhere without worrying about getting busted.)

I'll need to get better at the range to qualify, but I'm pretty close I think.

So I've been trying to think about what a demonstrable need would be. I'm still kicking my own ass for not getting the permit when I worked at the Dept of Corrections (You're automatically allowed as long as you pass the shooting qualifier.) I mean, I live in a crappy neighborhood, but I don't want to say that because they'll think I want to shoot my neighbors. I transport very expensive IT equipment around the state sometimes, but I don't want to be restricted to just "while working" like Nuts4Guns was.

Anyway, if you have any tips let me know. I'm going to try and find out if I know anyone that can put in a good word for me at the police station (unfortunately, I never did any work for the Pawtucket PD - but I did do work for several other departments around the state.. )
    I am a resident of RI and also a Correction Officer in Mass. I have a CCW permit in RI and Florida. My reason to justify my permit application was - As a Correction Officer it is known that we are often assaulted, threatened and the safety of our families are threatened. Some Officers have had contracts taken on them and their family by Inmates, former inmates/families, friends and gang associated members outside of prison. Let me know your results at [email protected] AL

The thread on RI carry in schools I don't think is is entirely accurate. RI General Law 11-47-60 states:

"b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who shall be exempt pursuant to the provisions of 11-47-9, 11-47-11, and 11-47-18 or to the following activities when the activities are officially recognized and sanctioned by the educational institution:"

Since 11-47-11 is police issued carry permits and 11-47-18 is AG issued carry permits, it would appear that the holder of a valid RI LTC can indeed carry on school grounds in RI. Correct me if I am wrong, please.
    Last edited by kiehtan; 02-29-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12