Wrenn v. DC

Thread: Wrenn v. DC

Cool Wrenn v. DC

From LI | Appeals court invalidates D.C.’s “good reason” constraint on public carry of firearms:

Attorney Alan Gura has scored another huge win for civil rights in today’s Wrenn v. DC decision out of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal District of Columbia Circuit (you know, the one Harry Reid blew up the fillibuster for in order to load it up with Progressive judges amenable to Obama’s “pen-and-a-phone” style of governance).

Wrenn v. DC, decided today, was a 2-1 decision by the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. The decision invalidates the District of Columbia’s prohibitionist “good reason” constraint on the lawful carry of arms in public for purposes of self-defense.

Circuit Judge Thomas B. Griffith (appointed by George W. Bush in 2005, 63 years old) and Senior Circuit Judge Stephen F. Williams (appointed by Ronald Reagan in 1986, 80 years old) signed off on the majority opinion, and Circuit Judge Karen L. Henderson (appointed by George H.W. Bush in 1990, 73 years old) wrote a dissent.

Now, this is certainly an interesting development and a great win for Alan Gura. There are several questions that arise from this decision. Is DC going to issue carry permits now to anyone? What does that mean for the Peruta case? Is SCOTUS now being forced to take up both conflicting cases? Will there be an appeal?

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    From LI | Appeals court invalidates D.C.’s “good reason” constraint on public carry of firearms:

Now, this is certainly an interesting development and a great win for Alan Gura. There are several questions that arise from this decision. Is DC going to issue carry permits now to anyone? What does that mean for the Peruta case? Is SCOTUS now being forced to take up both conflicting cases? Will there be an appeal?
    My first thought was how this ruling might influence SCOTUS in light of the recent Peruta refusal to hear. I haven't researched it recently, so my memory may not be up to snuff here, but I don't think this is the only circuit appeals courts conflict on this specific issue. I'll try to look into it tomorrow sometime, but either way, other conflicts or not, the gutless wonders of SCOTUS aren't "forced" by the Constitution to rule according to the Constitution, so I seriously doubt they'll feel "forced" by this conflict either. It's hard to know what to root for, actually, because SCOTUS can screw the pooch just as well as any other government agency, and Second Amendment "advocates" like some on this site can and will support their screwed-the-pooch rulings as "law" just the same. It might be good or bad either way they go with the conflict. Hard to tell. Guess we'll see. Thanks for posting the news.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

This potentially gets appealed to the full court, which has a 7-4 majority of Democrat appointees.

5. Yes. NRA is trumpeting this in recent this in recent NRA-ILA updates as the court having "schooled" DC. They also try and make it appear that this has some impetus from the Grace case because they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

As stated, it's probably a temporary victory as it is on hold until they can get it in front of the full circuit court. The fact that Wrenn and Peruta have little or no NRA fingerprint on them just reinforces that non action (see Castile case) is in fact, their strategy.

I have been getting NRA CG info emails, Chris Cox begging for my money, etc... and it is apparent that they are in this for the Benjamin's and for no other reason. If I didn't have a relationship because of my Rod and Gun club then I would not have one at all.

The Place To Be

The history of this case and an analysis by Adam Kraut: