Training - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Your reply just shows the ignorance I pointed out. Thanks.

I have received radiation during a nuclear accident. Does that make me a nuclear physicist, a nuclear plant operator, or a nuclear bomb expert? Being shot at and shooting back does not mean that you have the right training. It means you have life experience!
    No your reply displays ignorance. There are certain things you can only learn on a two way range. Primarily you learn how to perform when your life really does depend on it.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    No your reply displays ignorance. There are certain things you can only learn on a two way range. Primarily you learn how to perform when your life really does depend on it.
    Well, while I agree that they are certain things you only learn when you are put to the test in a deadly force situation, my original reply to PhillySoldier focused on the overconfidence that people have based on their prior service. Many service members and law enforcement officers never fired their weapon in combat or self defense.

We are talking about defensive handgun training for the civilian and non-LEO here. You know as well as I do what the quality of standard handgun training is in the military. You know as well as I do what the quality of standard handgun training is in law enforcement and that passing the FBI standard test is traditionally done on day 2 of a defensive handgun class.

As I said, I regularly see active and retired members of the military and law enforcement who come to classes thinking very high of themselves about their skills. They very quickly realize that a significant amount of their past training was for that particular job and that they miss a significant amount of practical self defense skills. I have come to learn that training offered by civilian firearms schools now often supplements military and law enforcement training.

Well, while I agree that they are certain things you only learn when you are put to the test in a deadly force situation, my original reply to PhillySoldier focused on the overconfidence that people have based on their prior service. Many service members and law enforcement officers never fired their weapon in combat or self defense.

We are talking about defensive handgun training for the civilian and non-LEO here. You know as well as I do what the quality of standard handgun training is in the military. You know as well as I do what the quality of standard handgun training is in law enforcement and that passing the FBI standard test is traditionally done on day 2 of a defensive handgun class.

As I said, I regularly see active and retired members of the military and law enforcement who come to classes thinking very high of themselves about their skills. They very quickly realize that a significant amount of their past training was for that particular job and that they miss a significant amount of practical self defense skills. I have come to learn that training offered by civilian firearms schools now often supplements military and law enforcement training.
    I think the truth is somewhere in the middle
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Well, while I agree that they are certain things you only learn when you are put to the test in a deadly force situation, my original reply to PhillySoldier focused on the overconfidence that people have based on their prior service. Many service members and law enforcement officers never fired their weapon in combat or self defense....
    That's true about military service members.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    That's true about military service members.
    I concur. I learned a lot more about handguns as SD firearms after I left the military. Its not like riding a bike. Use the training and acquired skills or lose them. Getting older means understanding your limitations also.
    I was actually very familiar with shotguns and long guns years before I joined.

The Place To Be

7. Quote Originally Posted by daniel804 View Post
    How do you find the time to go to the range so often
    Its not bad. I belong to an outdoor club and am there by 9am on Sat & Sunday mornings. Also I work earlier hours during the week and am home by 3pm so will occasionally go during the week after work. My sessions arent long and usually only there for about an hour.

8. Been trying to not get into this debate here. First, I only mentioned what my experience was not that its all that is needed. Id be very interested in taking any type of classes around me even if it was remedial and would also like to at least get into observing competition shooting if I could ever find anything near me. Yes I would agree most military and LEO only shoot enough to stay qualified and isnt part of there particular job. I was infantry and would say we trained a wee bit more. Id also say that training has been put to much practical use while deployed. Cocky/overconfident? Definitely (im a grunt)! Ive been in shootouts, knife fights, self defense trials etc so yes Im confident in what I can do and accepting that the results may not always be positive. But overall and again Ive never said thats all that was needed to be learned. There's always more to learn as well as trying to continually improve one's skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12