Clarification for People w/o CCW - car and on others property - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification for People w/o CCW - car and on others property

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ought View Post
    Looks like they changed this one, yet again.

S.C. Code Section 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

Just curious what your reference is for this statement. Case law? Another section? Section 16-23-20(15) doesn't seem to list any limitations other than between your vehicle and another legal location. Not a rhetorical question or being a smart A. Sincerely interested.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.
    Section (10), "a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;"

I guess I was seen concealing to my truck and police cited clause. Example given: business and home owners don't have have control over parking lots and public streets, even the ones in front their business or your house.

I guess one of my neighbors didn't like me openly carrying then concealing before I got into my truck when it was parked on the street. Not showing off but I hunt and target shoot as much as I can. Probably the same ones that called the police when I set off fireworks on Vietnamese New Years.

Fortunately, I produced my permit and the dropped the issue after he called in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Ought View Post
    Looks like they changed this one, yet again.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;
    I think section "(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;" trumps a individual that is not an employee or business owner to carry on the property given permission from the owner. Section 8 did not limit to residences so it could apply to all real property they have legal control like private hunting land, farms and businesses.....OR at least it could be argued

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    While on the subject...In the state of Pennsylvania where open carry is legal. If you open carry and get into your car while you OC you are now considered "concealed carry"
    therefore you need a CCP or you are breaking the law. Maybe this applies in other states that allow open carry. Just a heads up. You avoid a lot problems lie this if you have your CCP.
    We don't have that problem in SC. OC is illegal...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12