Gun Under the Seat.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Under the Seat....

1. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    It will be interesting to read the bill to see what else is in it.
    Here ya go: 2009-2010 Bill 3298: Handgun - South Carolina Legislature Online

A BILL

TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-20, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A HANDGUN, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON MAY LAWFULLY STOW A HANDGUN UNDER THE SEAT OF A VEHICLE.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-20(9)(a) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 28 of 2007, is further amended to read:

"(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle, or stowed under a seat. However, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or"

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

I would be nice to be able to stow it under the seat if you need ti disarm to go in somewhere but I personally would not want under there when the vehicle was in motion.

Thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't go ahead and extend private property carry rights to vehicles!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

For some reason i am thinking that this is not the latest version of the bill and the one that has emerged from committee or sub-committee is different. If it does contain this language they need to remove the first or. Wording like this can cause great problems down the road.

secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle, or stowed under a seat.
    With the present sentence structure an English Grammar expert could easily claim that the additional or means that to be stowed under a seat requires it to be in a closed container. Then there would be another fight.
    Last edited by FN1910; 04-18-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    ...With the present sentence structure an English Grammar expert could easily claim that the additional "or" means that to be stowed under a seat requires it to be in a closed container...
    I haven't been following this bill, so I haven't seen or read the intention of it's author. But not only could it be construed to mean that, I'm almost willing to bet that it is intended to mean that. When you look at all the other acceptable methods of storage, you see that NONE of them allow for immediate access to the firearm. All of them require, at the very least, some container or compartment to be opened. It seems to me that this is just an additional location that is acceptable to place your closed container.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

House says OK to guns under car seats

House says OK to guns under car seats - SC Politics Today - TheState.com

House members voted 104 to 0 to allow South Carolinians with concealed weapons permits to stow their guns under their vehicle seats.

That's in addition to the other places already allowed by law: a vehicle trunk and glove compartment. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, now heads to the Senate where two-thirds of senators must agree to take up the bill
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    House says OK to guns under car seats - SC Politics Today - TheState.com

House members voted 104 to 0 to allow South Carolinians with concealed weapons permits to stow their guns under their vehicle seats.

That's in addition to the other places already allowed by law: a vehicle trunk and glove compartment. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, now heads to the Senate where two-thirds of senators must agree to take up the bill
    That's a poorly written synopsis, isn't it? I haven't read any updated version of the bill, but if it hasn't been changed since the OP, the bill was to allow that storage location without a permit. And of course we all know that the trunk and glove box are allowed without a permit. But the article suggests otherwise.

Typical media ignorance.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    That's a poorly written synopsis, isn't it? I haven't read any updated version of the bill, but if it hasn't been changed since the OP, the bill was to allow that storage location without a permit. And of course we all know that the trunk and glove box are allowed without a permit. But the article suggests otherwise.

Typical media ignorance.
    Very true. Not much more here either. NRA-ILA :: South Carolina: Carry Reform Bill Passes Unanimously in the House!

OK, reading that article, it seems that the bill was just changed at the last minute. The bill now adds to the existing code:
    If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment
    So originally it seems that it would have allowed a "closed container" under the seat for non-permit holders. Now, it allows only permit holders to stow under the seat (not necessarily in any container) or in any opened or closed compartment anywhere in the vehicle.

What a freakin' waste of time. They just added more confusion to the already not-so-clear regulations. If they are going to spend the time crafting supposed pro-gun legislation, why not just get it over with and allow completely unrestricted carry inside a vehicle?

If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment
    This might be a plus for us. The way I read it we will be able to store it in the door compartment or covey hole in the dash. A cup holder could be considered a storage compartment. To heck with under the seat they can strike that out for all I care!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast