97 days and counting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 days and counting

97 days and counting

Has anybody gotten a permit recently? How long are they taking? How long should I wait before I reach out and touch someone?
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by badarac View Post
    Has anybody gotten a permit recently? How long are they taking? How long should I wait before I reach out and touch someone?
    They're only allowed 90 days...call them now. Make sure your paperwork wasn't lost.

Mailed February 1st, received May 5th. It will get there any day now...but there was just one lady doing them, due to budget cuts...coudos to her for staying as caught up as she is.

Thanks for that info. I have read here that there's just one person doing the work. I'll give it a little longer. If I do decide I need to follow up where do I call to check?
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

If I were to call, I would start at the SLED Data Center in Columbia... that is where we sent the applications.

I think the 'one person excuse is bogus' last I heard they had 15-18 people working on them but some were volunteers.

Are you counting weekends? I think they only have to count M-F and also not holidays. I'd give a call anyway.

I called this morning to check on the status. They claim that the app was received on March 4th and they were still waiting on stuff to come back from the FBI. Told to expect it beginning of June. I had to resubmit the fingerprint cards and my CWP instructor told me that should not have reset the clock but apparently it does. Based on SLED's comments it seems that the 90 days includes weekends and holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I think the 'one person excuse is bogus' last I heard they had 15-18 people working on them but some were volunteers.

Are you counting weekends? I think they only have to count M-F and also not holidays. I'd give a call anyway.

Exactly. the statute only allows them 90 days from receipt of application. It is up to SLED to make sure they are all processed in a timely fashion to meet that 90 day deadline.

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

(C) SLED shall issue a written statement to an unqualified applicant specifying its reasons for denying the application within ninety days from the date the application was received; otherwise, SLED shall issue a concealable weapon permit. If an applicant is unable to comply with the provisions of Section 23-31-210(4),
    SLED shall offer the applicant a handgun training course that satisfies the requirements of Section 23-31-210(4)(a). The course shall cost fifty dollars. SLED shall use the proceeds to defray the training course’s operating costs. If a permit is granted by operation of law because an applicant was not notified of a denial within the ninety day notification period, the permit may be revoked upon written notification from SLED that sufficient grounds exist for revocation or initial denial.

I don't see in the relevant SC statutes where a definition of "day" is expressed. Paragraph C above does NOT say 90 "working" days.

10. My CWP Instructor told us that if the fingerprints had to be re-submitted you went to the bottom of the stack and had to start the wait all over.
    It has only been about 45 days for me. I have a while yet before I can expect mine.

I'm getting the feeling that the SC gun laws, permit process, and instructors are a lot like medicine. There's some science, lots of guesswork, and you hope you feel good at the end of it. And they wonder why I carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast