SC Permit renewal - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC Permit renewal

I don't have one but I understand that PA includes GA and is much cheaper and about the same process.

None of my references were contacted that I know of. At one time NH said that if you didn't have your permit in two weeks to call them so there was no way they could contact references and issue the permit in that time frame. Thye were so flooded with permit applications until someone saw the dollar signs and went from $20 to $100. Processing time went from two weeks to I think 8 weeks for mine,

PA does give you GA but it doesn't cover AL and MS. I travel through all three states occasionally and NH give gives me all three. If you don't travel through AL and MS then the PA permit will work.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Since NH is now $100 bucks I would get the Florida one first... $117, yes, you can carry in Florida with your S.C. permit but as mentioned above Florida gives you some other states as well over PA. I'm kind of off on N.H. I had the permit and then failed to renew it in time... they actually were nice enough to send me a renewal notice and bill for $20 and then when I sent it in the law makers up there had changed the price to $100 during the two weeks it took!

Unless you are going to N.H. no reason for the permit... and I'm much more likely to be in Florida, GA, AL, or MS than I am in NH.

If you need to go cheap and just want a easy fix for GA. then go with the PA permit from Centre County... you can get this in about 2 weeks via mail..... but some time in 2011 this all changes and PA is not going to allow non-resident permits to be issued by mail.

but some time in 2011 this all changes and PA is not going to allow non-resident permits to be issued by mail.
    I had not heard this but I am not surprised. I think you are going to find more states following the Utah lead of either amking the requirements for getting a non-res permit more strict or the NH lead of raising the price 400% for a revenue stream. If you read the fine print for the NH permit FAQ it tells you that it is no good for any state other than NH but since they can't control what any other state does so they can't stop GA from accepting it.

Re: PA requiring non resident permits be applied for in person:

I could be wrong but saw that on some other forum. I believe Centre County PA is the only county in PA that issues non resident permits by mail right now.... others you already have to show up in person. Since I have one, I plan to renew before then and hopefully that will let me have it for another 5 years..

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    If you read the fine print for the NH permit FAQ it tells you that it is no good for any state other than NH but since they can't control what any other state does so they can't stop GA from accepting it.
    I would imagine that NH does that because of people getting a non-resident permit from that state so they can carry in states with reciprocity (basically what I plan to do once my renewal shows up). It's probably kind of a "no warranty expressed or implied" statement. This came up in another thread also about SLED claiming no reciprocity with (I think) FL but FL claims you can carry in that state with a SC permit (basing this on the poster's word). It comes down to what the state you plan to carry in says, as they are the one that is choosing not to deny your right to self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    I would imagine that NH does that because of people getting a non-resident permit from that state so they can carry in states with reciprocity (basically what I plan to do once my renewal shows up). It's probably kind of a "no warranty expressed or implied" statement. This came up in another thread also about SLED claiming no reciprocity with (I think) FL but FL claims you can carry in that state with a SC permit (basing this on the poster's word). It comes down to what the state you plan to carry in says, as they are the one that is choosing not to deny your right to self-defense.
    You are correct. The NH permit in reality only carries weight in NH. Other states may recognize it on their own but NH has no control over that. It a CYA statement. On your example, FL and SC has had a reciprocity agreement for over a year.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Whoever SLED has updating their website either does in very part-time or should be replaced by me. If that job comes open I will be applying. Keep your eyes out and if they post the job for SLED Webmaster let me know. Right now I am trying to get one in Berkely County.

It's been almost 5 weeks since I renewed online, hopefully it will arrive this week. What do you get, something to place on the original license, or a new digital license?
    Pat
    Southern National Congress
    NRA life, GOA Life, SAF life

I just got my renewal in the mail. 43 days after I filed my renewal. Not too bad I guess.

Pat H - I got an entire new permit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast