Non-resident reciprocal Permits in SC - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-resident reciprocal Permits in SC

Quote Originally Posted by ForceTech View Post
    Actually, the law was changed and South Carolina can now become reciprocal with any state that requires a "criminal background check and course in firearm training and safety." The law is posted below.

Now, if you are aware of a state that qualifies but is not on the SLED list (remember, Washington is now reciprocal but isn't on the list, and Delaware is NOT a reciprocal state), give SLED's Regulatory office a call and let them know. They will research it. That's how we got Florida, because when I called, SLED was under the impression that FL didn't require training, but when I pointed out the law, they looked researched it and signed an agreement within a few days.

23-31-215:
    (N) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

SC is very slow to update their page. Wasn't WA added about this time last year? The SC page hasn't been updated since 2008. Which means DE won't be added anytime soon....

First off I want to say I am new to this forum and want to say hello to all. looks like a wealth of information here. Hopefully someone here has an idea that can help me obtain a non-resident SC CWP.

I have a residence in GA and must maintain a GA driver's license for my work. I recently got married, my wife lives in SC and maintains a residence there. When not at work I am at my wife's home in SC.

I know I could declare residence in SC and get a SC driver's License and then get a CWP, but then I would lose my GA DL and may have problems at work. I would then also loose my GA CWP since I would not be considered a GA resident.

Is there a way to get a SC non resident CWP or somehow declare dual residency that would allow be to get a SC Sate ID (not a DL)?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Quote Originally Posted by category4 View Post
    First off I want to say I am new to this forum and want to say hello to all. looks like a wealth of information here. Hopefully someone here has an idea that can help me obtain a non-resident SC CWP.

I have a residence in GA and must maintain a GA driver's license for my work. I recently got married, my wife lives in SC and maintains a residence there. When not at work I am at my wife's home in SC.

I know I could declare residence in SC and get a SC driver's License and then get a CWP, but then I would lose my GA DL and may have problems at work. I would then also loose my GA CWP since I would not be considered a GA resident.

Is there a way to get a SC non resident CWP or somehow declare dual residency that would allow be to get a SC Sate ID (not a DL)?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.
    Property owners can get a CWP. Put the house in both of your names, fill out the affidavit of property ownership, and send in your stuff. GTG. Just go read the SLED instructions. Piece of cake.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Property owners can get a CWP. Put the house in both of your names, fill out the affidavit of property ownership, and send in your stuff. GTG. Just go read the SLED instructions. Piece of cake.
    Good info there and an answer to his question. I looked at the law to be sure but it does require Real Property so putting a car in his name and the SC address wouldn't work. It has to be land, house, condo etc. something that you have to pay property taxes on.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Good info there and an answer to his question. I looked at the law to be sure but it does require Real Property so putting a car in his name and the SC address wouldn't work. It has to be land, house, condo etc. something that you have to pay property taxes on.
    You have to pay property taxes on vehicles in SC, but I think I found a solution.

I can get a SC State ID card by just having my mail forwarded to our address in SC. With that I should be able to get a CWP and still keep my GA DL and GA CWP. Going to have the lawyers look at that on Monday.

You have to pay property taxes on vehicles in SC, but I think I found a solution.

I can get a SC State ID card by just having my mail forwarded to our address in SC. With that I should be able to get a CWP and still keep my GA DL and GA CWP. Going to have the lawyers look at that on Monday.
    This will work right up until you get arrested.

Just follow the intent of the law. You are either a resident, who actually lives here, or you are property owner (land owner). There is no wiggle room for just having a State ID card, and having one does NOT make you a resident. Are you willing to lie, in writing, to get your SC CWP? Are you "that guy"? Hopefully not. Do the right thing.

If you can't put it on the front page of the newspaper, don't do it! Otherwise, you may end up on the front page of the paper.

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.
    As used in this article:
    (1) "Resident" means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.
    (2) "Qualified nonresident" means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state.

You MUST answer yes or no to the following question on your application for a SC CWP:

Are you a South Carolina resident or qualified non‐resident (Section 23‐31‐210, SC Code of Laws)?

MEMBERS: Have you noticed that this sort of post almost always comes from brand new posters? Almost makes you think someone is trying to entice us to encourage others to disobey the law. Hopefully it's just a new subject to these perspective permit holders. We have an obligation to keep these new folks on the right path. Never forget that EVERYONE is watching what you and I are typing on this forum.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

Everything you need is right here. Since you will own the property once you put your name on the deed...you're good to go. Putting your name on this deed will not effect your GA residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    MEMBERS: Have you noticed that this sort of post almost always comes from brand new posters? Almost makes you think someone is trying to entice us to encourage others to disobey the law. Hopefully it's just a new subject to these perspective permit holders. We have an obligation to keep these new folks on the right path. Never forget that EVERYONE is watching what you and I are typing on this forum.
    Yeah, I also like how brand new posters come onto this site and post flames or too good to be true stories as their first posts.

Follow Islander's advice - Ask to put your name on your wife's property - Maybe a Quit Claim Deed - do the same for her with your property in GA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123