Thread: potential handgun owner: recommendations needed

Quote Originally Posted by huntindogg 0701 View Post
    can you help me pick the right handgun?:
    here are my requirements:

1. 9mm, .380 auto, .40S&W
    2. compact and easy to conceal.
    3. minimum 6 capacity magazine.

all recommendations will be helpful.
    First, I recommend you read Why Not Carry the Big Gun that was published recently. It's excellent food for thought.

I carry a SIG P239 SAS in .40 S&W caliber. Mine is a bit older than the current Gen II model and is double action only, the current one is double action on the first shot, single action for each additional shot. The SAS models have been through the SIG pro-shop, verified for function and have a smoothed exterior specifically for concealed carry. Magazines are seven rounds & single column, with one carried in the chamber and one extra magazine you have fifteen rounds available.

I used to carry a .45 ACP, moved to the more modern .40 S&W round due to a wider variety of pistol selection with more than adequate power.

I have no trouble concealing the P239, it is not a lightweight however. You will need a good holster for it, I recommend either Galco or Rosen. I use strong side, belt carry almost exclusively.
    Pat
    Southern National Congress
    NRA life, GOA Life, SAF life

3. does anyone own or have shot these glocks:
    1. glock 27 .40s&w (compact)
    2. glock 28 .380 (subcompact)

I own a 27 but it's a safe gun. I don't know any LE's that have a 28 and have never seen one. The 28 can't be imported for civilian use since it doesn't have enough import points. So the only way to get one is if you are in LE.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Your problem with the stress fracture in the thumb kind of worries me on all these suggestions...

Keep in mind most .380s do not have less recoil than a 9mm because most of them have a blow back design.... also, usually they are smaller framed guns and have less mass to absorb the recoil.

Pesonally, I would consider a small frame 357 magnum revolver like a Ruger SP 101 and shoot standard 38's in it until your hand is well and also for qualifying for the CWP.

Bersa, Berreta and Sig all make a .380 pistol that is not a sub compact, are slightly smaller than most standard 9mm, and are pretty easy to conceal. But not a pocket gun. My carry gun is a Sig 230, the current 'upgraded' model is the Sig 232... look it up... (Not the 238!) is probably one of the best looking pistols on the market, besides that and more important is absolutely reliable... never a hint of a problem with them ever mentioned on the internet... with Hogue grips this pistol fits in my hand perfect .

As mentioned above the Sig 239 is another choice... but a good notch or two larger than the 232.... I think the 238 is way too small and will have too much recoil.

6. blume357 thanks for the info. my thumb is completely healed as far as the bone, but i still have some discomfort. i may choose to shoot with a thumb brace on if that's a good idea. another thing i always thought .357 magnums were notorious for their massive recoil issues.

does anyone own or have shot these glocks:
    1. glock 27 .40s&w (compact)
    2. glock 28 .380 (subcompact)
    I have a Glock 27 and it's a great pistol. I found the recoil to be a little snappy at first but I got used to it. The Glock 28 does not meet US import requirements and is not available.

You are right.... 357 mags have a serious recoil... and especially in a small frame

what I was suggesting is a 357 mag revolver shooting 38 rounds.... which are much easier....

I don't shoot 357 mag hardly ever anymore... I'm a 9mm fan right now... but when I did shoot my 357's I despised the magnum loads except in the BIG pistols like a Colt trooper with an 8" barrel..... but you could shoot standard 38s in any of the revolvers all day long with no trouble at all.

Keep in mind to get an SC. CWP you are going to be shooting 50 rounds.

Since you are healed up.... and it just hurts sometime... (I have the same troubles on many parts of my body) I would just figure out which pistol you want.... if at all possible try out a couple and then buy what you want.

You have a picture of a Glock in your icon... so, I'm a little confused. I'm not a glock fan but that is probably for a different discussion... as long as you don't oil the firing pin and learn the specifics for shooting one.... lots of folks love them.... then again, it's called 'going to the dark side' when you buy a Glock.

If you are in S.C. and let some folks know what part of the state, there may be a way to try different handguns at little or no cost.

9. Quote Originally Posted by huntindogg 0701 View Post
    can you help me pick the right handgun?:
    here are my requirements:

1. 9mm, .380 auto, .40S&W
    2. compact and easy to conceal.
    3. minimum 6 capacity magazine.

all recommendations will be helpful.
    two other requirements i have:

1. minimal recoil ( recovering from a stress fracture in the thumb of my shooting hand).
    2. accessory (scopes,lasers,etc.) accessible.
    Some of your requirements seem to be in conflict with each other. For example ... easy to conceal and scope.

I'm not big on hanging a bunch of "accessories" off of my self-defense weapons so I may not be of much help, but I would say you have a wide variety of guns that fit your first three criteria and VERY few that fit when you add the last two criteria.

If your stress fracture is in your dominant hand, you could practice shooting with your off hand until you're completely healed. It never hurts to be able to shoot with your off hand ... since you could (and have) suffer an injury to your dominant hand.

Take a look at the Kahr CW9. It meets most of your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
    Some of your requirements seem to be in conflict with each other. For example ... easy to conceal and scope.

I'm not big on hanging a bunch of "accessories" off of my self-defense weapons so I may not be of much help, but I would say you have a wide variety of guns that fit your first three criteria and VERY few that fit when you add the last two criteria.

If your stress fracture is in your dominant hand, you could practice shooting with your off hand until you're completely healed. It never hurts to be able to shoot with your off hand ... since you could (and have) suffer an injury to your dominant hand.

Take a look at the Kahr CW9. It meets most of your criteria.
    I to am confused on what the OP is looking for.

I think he needs to buy at least three pistols. Those should fit all his needs.

I strongly recommend you get a .357 revolver in at least 4" barrel length. Recoil is a non issue with 100g semi wad cutters in .38. You can scope a Red hawk.
    If you didn't know already, you can fire .38 in the .357.

If you have a thumb issue, practice with a 9mm, or 380 concealable pistol is not the best idea. They recoil a bit.

The rule of thumb is, the lighter weight pistol, the more the recoil.

Anymore questions, just ask, someone will help you.

11. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I to am confused on what the OP is looking for.

I think he needs to buy at least three pistols. Those should fit all his needs.

I strongly recommend you get a .357 revolver in at least 4" barrel length. Recoil is a non issue with 100g semi wad cutters in .38. You can scope a Red hawk.
    If you didn't know already, you can fire .38 in the .357.

If you have a thumb issue, practice with a 9mm, or 380 concealable pistol is not the best idea. They recoil a bit.

The rule of thumb is, the lighter weight pistol, the more the recoil.

Anymore questions, just ask, someone will help you.
    i starting to hedge towards a 9mm. what do you think of the glock 19,glock 26,kel tec pf9,ruger sr9c,sig sauer p225,s&w sigma sw9ve,s&w sd9,s&w m&p 9c. also if anyone can think of other 9mm i might be interested in let me know.

thank you again for all the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast