Open carry in sc - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Open carry in sc

No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol -- isn't that an AG opinion? How about we get another opinion from the new AG?

I'd like to see OC but wouldn't give up anything else for it. I'm not sure OC is always a good idea, but would like to see it as an option.

I agree with the GR no compromise position -- with compromise we may well give up more than we gain.

3. Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    that's a good point... I'm sure it would not happen in Wallmart....

but what happens when the person you tackle, bop on the head and hold at gun point is an employee or owner of the place?
    Blume, mappow, SC Tiger, et.al.

OK, guys, this hurts to say, but I WAS WRONG!!! Y'all were right!

I stepped back and looked ast the arguing points from a different perspective, and came to the conclusion that what you were trying to tell me about interfering with someone Open Carrying in Walmart would not result in a favorable experience for me. Legally I would wind up in a bunch of trouble most likely, even IF I was technically right, which is suspect.LOL!

What brought me to this conclusion is a conversation at a doctor's office with a young lady who didn't believe in gun ownership or CWP/Open Carry. It suddenly dawned on me that if there are so many folks that don't understand that they need to have a right, and means, by which to protect themselves, then who am I to argue with them. Let them walk around with no protection if that is what they desire. But don't look my way when someone is bothering you and you need some help. I will not be there to help. I will protect myself and family.

I chose to get armed and go through the proper channels to do so, and get some training. If the folks that don't think that way won't exercise their Natural, and Constitutional right to do the same, so be it. I hope a cop is always around when and if they need help. I personally just don't like the odds that everybody will be that fortunate.

No more "Good Samaritan" acting on my part. It's their responsibility to protect themselves. If more folks thought about it like that, we wouldn't have all these crazy anti-gun laws we are trying so hard to fight against.

I've been watching this for a while and just decided to stay out of the debate. I really didn't have anything new to add. I'm glad you've taken a step back and reassessed your position but you really seem to look at things as black and white. No shades of gray for you. I've never been put in a position to need to choose whether to get involved but I would like to think that if I saw a 90 year old woman get dragged out of a car and beaten, that I'd take some action. Whether I was armed or not. That's substantially different in my mind from holding somebody at gunpoint for littering ( I know you never said that) or approaching somebody in Walmart that's open carrying. Having and carrying a weapon is a personal choice that gives me a tool to better protect myself and my family. Having that tool does not in my opinion make me any more or less responsible for others than I would normally be. In my mind it does however make it more important to exercise judgment and restraint. Unlike a punch, a bullet can't be taken back. So long story short I think I would prefer to analyze the situation presented, use my judgment, take the appropriate course of action.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

5. to: badarac

Very well put, sir. An educated post or reply is refreshing. You get a lot of overboard folks involved in these threads. It just reinforces the intolerance some people have about our rights as citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by badarac View Post
    I've been watching this for a while and just decided to stay out of the debate. I really didn't have anything new to add. I'm glad you've taken a step back and reassessed your position but you really seem to look at things as black and white. No shades of gray for you. I've never been put in a position to need to choose whether to get involved but I would like to think that if I saw a 90 year old woman get dragged out of a car and beaten, that I'd take some action. Whether I was armed or not. That's substantially different in my mind from holding somebody at gunpoint for littering ( I know you never said that) or approaching somebody in Walmart that's open carrying. Having and carrying a weapon is a personal choice that gives me a tool to better protect myself and my family. Having that tool does not in my opinion make me any more or less responsible for others than I would normally be. In my mind it does however make it more important to exercise judgment and restraint. Unlike a punch, a bullet can't be taken back. So long story short I think I would prefer to analyze the situation presented, use my judgment, take the appropriate course of action.
    Most people want to look a gun laws and laws in general as black or white and look at them through emotion rather than thought. Laws are black and white but the enforcement and interprtation of them is gray. Situations are gray especially when it comes to defendoing yourself although we don't want it to be and sometimes can't understand how it can be. Much of our discussion on what we think we would do is based on a difference of what is happening and totally different situations. The one thing that we always must do is determe what it actually happening and who is the GG and who is the BG. The case in Tuson demonstrates this as the GG who got there first thought that the fellow holding the gun was the shooter. In the case of the Baltimire police they thought the plain clothesed officer was a BG. Know what is happening before jumping in and do not let emotions override good judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Know what is happening before jumping in and do not let emotions override good judgement.

Best words of advise I've heard in awhile. Thanks FN!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011