Open carry in sc - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry in sc

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just to throw another Item in the mix... a person can also open carry in S.C. if they are going to or coming from their hunting or shooting club or an event at one....
    NO THEY CAN'[email protected]!! I don't know where this B.S. started, but it isn't true!! You can only have that gun in an Open Carry mode if you are in your vehicle. If you are going fishing, it's Ok to have it in sight at a boat ramp.

There are no deer or fish in Walmart! Open Carry in the stores is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    NO THEY CAN'[email protected]!! I don't know where this B.S. started, but it isn't true!! You can only have that gun in an Open Carry mode if you are in your vehicle. If you are going fishing, it's Ok to have it in sight at a boat ramp.

There are no deer or fish in Walmart! Open Carry in the stores is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe it started here:

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

So what if someone climbed down their tree stand, went to the store, got some inspect repellent, nice ice cold drink(s) and a bag of ice. They haven't washed off the raccoon urine, removed their camo, or sidearm and everyone knows (and/or smells) you are and have been engaged in hunting.

Also the last time I looked, most "stores" are private property that are open to the public. Owners have the right to say who can CC or OC as far as that goes.

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

So do you automatically assume seeing an OC and if not the privileged LE community, they are breaking the law?

From your posts it sounds like you think the government grants you a privilege when you carry or own a gun.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about going to or coming from your shooting club...

but I'm too lazy to find the law right now... so, if somebody wants to prove me right or wrong help yourself...

as for the Wally World thing... I'll just throw something else really stupid in the pot... (in one of those moods)

Gov 5 ... what happens if you forget where you are and the Wally World is in N.C.?

this is a pretty lame debate anyway... I stick with what I said... I'd leave the person alone... just because I see someone with a gun does not mean they are a threat.... I've had people meet me at the door of their homes (I do in home service work) with a gun.... no big deal... they don't point it at me... so I'm okay with it.

As for your opinion on laws... I don't know where to go with that. I see just way too many stupid laws that should not be.... I think as long as someone is not harming someone else then they are not breaking my law...

I hope you never put a rifle in a boat in S.C. if so please send me your address and I'll come and make a citizen's arrest... :)

"So do you automatically assume seeing an OC and if not the privileged LE community, they are breaking the law? "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Because it IS breaking the law.

The "on foot" part of that phrase is while hunting or fishing, like from a bank of a pond. It doesn't say that you can walk around with a gun strapped to your side just because you have a hunting/fishing license!

If you don't believe me, ask a cop or game warden.

From the book South Carolina Gun Laws:

Are a licensed hunter or fisherman who is engaged in hunting or fishing or are going directly to or from your place of hunting or fishing in a vehicle or on foot. Directly does not include stopping for gas or coffee or any other diversion.
    I am not sure where they got this interpretation but this is what the authors of the book said. Remember that tis falls under 16-23 portion of the SC Codes and this portion makes no mention of either OC or CC, only the carrying of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5

The "on foot" part of that phrase is while hunting or fishing, like from a bank of a pond.

If you don't believe me, ask a cop or game warden.
    Ummm, "or are going directly to or from your place of hunting or fishing in a vehicle or on foot" very clearly and specifically does NOT mean WHILE hunting or fishing. It very clearly and specifically says and means "WHILE GOING TO OR FROM" your place of hunting or fishing. No abiguity. And it also clearly says and means either on foot or in a vehicle.

I agree, however, that this does not include rummaging around in WalMart, pumping gas, etc. For that I carry concealed or leave weapon in the car.

There are fish at Wal-mart. All the goldfish, betafish, and other small fish you could want.

They're in the pet supplies aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    There are fish at Wal-mart. All the goldfish, betafish, and other small fish you could want.

They're in the pet supplies aisle.
    Unfortunately most of the Wal-Marts have gotten out of the fish business. Maybe Pet Smart would let you drop a hook in one of their tanks. Usually they have lots of birds for hunting so carry your shotgun and your bird dog. I would bet that would be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Gov 5 ... what happens if you forget where you are and the Wally World is in N.C.?
    Or even back in GA including Atlanta where I OC'd all the time when I was a resident.

Not True...

You can also Open Carry on Personal Property, and also at a private gun range......When I go to ATP I see alot of people Open carrying there, not just the emplyees...

I myself hope one day that SC allows full open carry...Until then:):):)
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants---Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast