Open carry in sc - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry in sc

why is oc so important cc is the name of the game oc just asking for trouble if u cc on one knows u have a gun but if u oc than you are the first person to get taken out

Quote Originally Posted by thomasres View Post
    why is oc so important cc is the name of the game oc just asking for trouble if u cc on one knows u have a gun but if u oc than you are the first person to get taken out
    # 1 Comfort
    #2 ALL that use the same argument against OC use the process of thinking that a tactical plan has been established, hit the guys/gals carrying OC then complete the mission. TAKE OUT the OC's first. That thinking is great if you're actually planing a mission. BUT MOST violent crime that's committed is NOT by a professional, military minded criminal. MOST are crimes of opportunity and convenience. Yes some are planned but I have yet to read any credible story that Joe Citizen was targeted by BG's first prior to robbing the store, the bank Yadda-YAdda-Yadda.
    Deterrent of OC and or the thought of CC will and does keep most criminals from committing crimes. The stats prove it.
    #3 Because it's my right to!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    Where does it say limited to conceal carry????

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

-- IT DOESN"T -- it is "whether concealed or not"

Section 13 has requirements for employees @ the fixed business and prohibition for places that serve alcohol for consumption. It is a compound conditional clause for non-owners, "if it is a fixed place of business" and "if you are at the fixed place of business" and "if you are an employee" and "if you are not a business that serves onsite consumption of alcohol" then you the employee need a permit and permission.

If one of the factor does not equate ie: you are not an employee then it falls back onto section 8, persmission of the owner or legal possesor of the real property...

Mappow,

Sorry for the distraction...

We should at least establish a baseline of where we can OC, so we can at least talk to our representatives with some level of cohesion.

I've heard politicians say we can OC...but just on private property.
    However, even then in our autos which are private property and also defined under Castle Doctrine as such we cannot OC.
    Didn't say you are limited to concealed for section 13, just pointed out that you need a permit if you are an employee to carry concealed (owner/controller does not need permit). On private property nobody needs a permit to carry concealed, but for fixed place of business, employees do.

Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    # 1 Comfort
    #2 ALL that use the same argument against OC use the process of thinking that a tactical plan has been established, hit the guys/gals carrying OC then complete the mission. TAKE OUT the OC's first. That thinking is great if you're actually planing a mission. BUT MOST violent crime that's committed is NOT by a professional, military minded criminal. MOST are crimes of opportunity and convenience. Yes some are planned but I have yet to read any credible story that Joe Citizen was targeted by BG's first prior to robbing the store, the bank Yadda-YAdda-Yadda.
    Deterrent of OC and or the thought of CC will and does keep most criminals from committing crimes. The stats prove it.
    #3 Because it's my right to!
    # great responses!!! My thoughts exactly, especially the one on comfort.

Open Carry, because it should be legal and is easier... also takes away the burden of always being concealed. We are in a political climate right now where many 'citizens (sheeple if you will) have been conditioned over the last few years to fear anyone with a gun that is not in uniform. Ironically this is the exact opposite of how people thought 200+ years ago... they feared anyone in uniform with a gun.... this is why most police for the first 50-100 years of our countries existence did not wear uniforms and in many places also did not carry guns either.

My only fear in getting open carry in S.C. is that businesses would then start to exercise their (property rights) if they saw folks open carrying... because our lawmakers are going to put businesses first before citizens.

Blume357 "My only fear in getting open carry in S.C. is that businesses would then start to exercise their (property rights) if they saw folks open carrying... because our lawmakers are going to put businesses first before citizens."

I would NEVER fear someones property rights, I'm glad if someone could actually enforce their God Given Rights!. As for the business angle, demographics rule. If a business wants to enforce a NCC on his property, I would respect that and or CC and no one would be the wiser. If caught, whoops didn't see the sign

I ask again that ALL that reside in SC contact their rep's and a least plant the seed of amending current law and or writing a new law to OC.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

8. Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Blume357 "My only fear in getting open carry in S.C. is that businesses would then start to exercise their (property rights) if they saw folks open carrying... because our lawmakers are going to put businesses first before citizens."

I would NEVER fear someones property rights, I'm glad if someone could actually enforce their God Given Rights!. As for the business angle, demographics rule. If a business wants to enforce a NCC on his property, I would respect that and or CC and no one would be the wiser. If caught, whoops didn't see the sign

I ask again that ALL that reside in SC contact their rep's and a least plant the seed of amending current law and or writing a new law to OC.
    Ditto. +1 absolutely. And...in states like Arizona and Washington where open carry is legal without any permit at all business typically tend to not care. IF one customer complains about another customers gun, 99% of the time one of two things happens. 1. The manager explains to the complainer that there is nothing wrong with the other customer carrying a gun. I like this best because, after all, the open carrier is a paying customer just as much as the complainer is. or more likely:

2. The manager will ask the open carrier to cover their gun or leave for the duration of Mr. Complainer's visit.

I have never heard of a business banning guns by posting a sign simply because of the isolated case of a complaint against an open carrier.

I was eating dinner in a restaurant and had the cops called on me. The cop took it upon himself to coerce a <21 year old waitress to allow him to boot me out of the restaurant. When I talked to the manager about it the next day she was absolutely pissed that the police chased off her customer. She said I was more than welcome with my friends and family anytime with our guns. The following weekend a group of 12 to 14 of us open carriers, all armed, had a luncheon in the restaurant with our families and gave them a lot of business. I try to make it back there at least once a month for dinner. We invited the local police to join us for social interaction, but they never showed.

NavyLT.... now who let you into our state? :)

I'm always glad to hear of good things from open carry states.... because like I said... I would welcome it over here.... back when I was a teenager I opened carried a lot.... I wonder how well that would fly these days... even in S.C.

I really think we need to push throwing out the no carry in restaurants that serve alcohol first though.

(Headed over to the firingline now.... final stop in my morning internet surfing. See you there.)

10. Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    (Headed over to the firingline now.... final stop in my morning internet surfing. See you there.)
    My evil twin brother hangs out over there. Say Hi to him for my, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post

Mappow,

I thought the same thing but when I lived in Georgia and frequently OC'd, it wasn't the stores so much as the people who saw me packing. I had a few calls in Atlanta, but North Georgia, Macon - not a word. Actually got a lot of complements on my revolver (mostly from older generations).

Most chain stores told the customers who were disturbed by my OC said they followed state laws.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast