Open carry in sc - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in sc

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Blume357 "My only fear in getting open carry in S.C. is that businesses would then start to exercise their (property rights) if they saw folks open carrying... because our lawmakers are going to put businesses first before citizens."

I would NEVER fear someones property rights, I'm glad if someone could actually enforce their God Given Rights!. As for the business angle, demographics rule. If a business wants to enforce a NCC on his property, I would respect that and or CC and no one would be the wiser. If caught, whoops didn't see the sign

I ask again that ALL that reside in SC contact their rep's and a least plant the seed of amending current law and or writing a new law to OC.
    I know you said you were tired of waiting, so don't get mad at me for my following suggestion.

AFTER Haley's win in November, and more conservatives that go in with her( I hope),I think we can make an all-out assault on this issue. Haley is a CCW holder, so she puts her words into action. I think we will have a VERY friendly audience in Columbia when she gets there. In my opinion, THAT is the time to do it.

Let's say that we do it now, and somebody ACTUALLY does get it brought up on the floor of the House. We might get it voted down without Haley's support. All that will do is table it again for who knows how long, since it just got killed. ( That would be the opponents argument.) I think with Haley in there, we have an EXCELLENT probability of getting Open Carry passed, along with the ability to conceal carry if you like that option better.

How does that idea( other than the wait again) sound to you?

p.s.: I'll also volunteer to help you with the movement.

the truth is I myself would never have enough time to work on something like this. this is why I support Grassroots in S.C. they are the lobby that will get something if anything done down in columbia. The NRA is too busy smoozing the big boys in washington to worry about us here. I'm hoping Grassroots has something on the table for this time around... but then just because a bill goes in to our advantage does not mean it will come out as such.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    the truth is I myself would never have enough time to work on something like this. this is why I support Grassroots in S.C. they are the lobby that will get something if anything done down in columbia. The NRA is too busy smoozing the big boys in washington to worry about us here. I'm hoping Grassroots has something on the table for this time around... but then just because a bill goes in to our advantage does not mean it will come out as such.
    I wrote Grassroots and got back an email from Bill R. that said "we don't compromise!" The entire email response had an "in your face" type attitude to it. That type of strategy will only hurt us and not get us anywhere. I don't put much stock in their ability to do anything positive.

This is just my opinion from a one-time exchange with them. Maybe they have done good work in the past. But I can tell you with the current attitude of the President of the organization, I have my doubts about any positive results coming from their efforts in the future.

That is why I think we as gun owners need to work ourselves on this issue. I am retired, so I can spend a certain amount of time on this. Not as much that it becomes another JOB, but I will spend enough time to be effective. Columbia is in the middle of the State, so it really isn't hard for ANY of us to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    I wrote Grassroots and got back an email from Bill R. that said "we don't compromise!" The entire email response had an "in your face" type attitude to it. That type of strategy will only hurt us and not get us anywhere. I don't put much stock in their ability to do anything positive.

This is just my opinion from a one-time exchange with them. Maybe they have done good work in the past. But I can tell you with the current attitude of the President of the organization, I have my doubts about any positive results coming from their efforts in the future.

That is why I think we as gun owners need to work ourselves on this issue. I am retired, so I can spend a certain amount of time on this. Not as much that it becomes another JOB, but I will spend enough time to be effective. Columbia is in the middle of the State, so it really isn't hard for ANY of us to get there.
    Wow, you formed your opinion based on a one-time exchange? Unlike the stock market, past performance is a good indicator for future success, just like with politicians (what they say to you at your front door can't compete with judging them by how they have voted for their entire careers).

Personally I support and have great confidence in our friends at Grass Roots (GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose.)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Wow, you form you opinion based on a one-time exchange? Unlike the stock market, past performance is a good indicator for future success, just like with politicians (what they say to you at your front door can't compete with judging them by how they have voted for their entire careers).

Personally I support and have great confidence in our friends at Grass Roots (GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose.)
    Ok then, here is a opinion coming from someone who has been around grassroots and had exchanges with them many many times...They do have a in your face attitude, and not to big of being told by a SC resident what may be a better idea... If they have a idea, then nothing you have can be better than it.

I support Grassroots and what they are doing, but lately it seems like alot of them need some attitude adjustments......
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants---Thomas Jefferson

It's kind of Like the problem I have with the NRA in a smaller way.. I think the NRA has gotten way too political and spends too much time putting a spin on things but in the end they are the big guy on the block and I'll continue to be a member even though I don't like some of the things they do... what's my alternative? Join the Brady Campaign?

From what I've seen S.C. Grassroots has learned to a degree how S.C. politics and the legislature works, and it ain't simple or easy... there are politicians who will help sponsor a bill and then vote to kill it in committee... the vote is not recorded, then they can say they sponsored this bill.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    You would never have time to work on this, eh? Yeah, I can hear one of the farmers in the field saying the same thing about having to tend to their crops, but all the while cheerleading for the shopkeepers that would have to answer the call for freedom, closing the shop and picking up their guns and going at a moments' notice...literally. That's what our founding citizens did when danger came around. But they didn't help the farmer that wouldn't go with Barnraisings when the time came.

Well, if you're gonna QUOTE the Constitution, you got to back up your words with ACTION. You can't spew all this "WE have the right" stuff when you won't fight to back it up when the time comes. If our patriot citizens had been like that collectively, we wouldn't have this wonderful Country!! And times were a LOT harder back then. You worked, ate, and slept. Pick one of the three that you call your daily entertainment. It was a HARD life. But it was a FREE life! And they wanted it to stay that way! They wanted it so badly that they would risk their LIFE for it!

But YOU are so important that YOU can't spare a moment toward the CAUSE, even when you have a moment or two to post your cheerleading at this site. But don't worry, the REST of US will still protect you. But we will also ask you to turn in your CCW License. Since you don't have time to fight, and depend on others to fight for you, you no longer need it.

Wow, you formed your opinion based on a one-time exchange? Unlike the stock market, past performance is a good indicator for future success, just like with politicians (what they say to you at your front door can't compete with judging them by how they have voted for their entire careers).

Yeah, I DID form an opinion based on that exchange. I made a good living by being able to size up people and situations very quickly. I got to be REAL good at it too! Very seldom did I get surprised by my decisions.

In this case, anybody could size up the situation. The guy was a jerk! If a dog comes up to me with it's teeth showing, and barking loudly with his tail up in the air,with the hair on his back raised, I don't figure he wants to cuddle up with me and lick me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Yeah, I DID form an opinion based on that exchange. I made a good living by being able to size up people and situations very quickly. I got to be REAL good at it too! Very seldom did I get surprised by my decisions.

In this case, anybody could size up the situation. The guy was a jerk! If a dog comes up to me with it's teeth showing, and barking loudly with his tail up in the air,with the hair on his back raised, I don't figure he wants to cuddle up with me and lick me.
    Have you read their position on the current bill, which is probably behind the "attitude" from Grass Roots? The current bill would be a HELL of a compromise, and is unacceptable:

H. 3003
    GrassRoots Position: GrassRoots cannot support this bill unless amended (as explained below).
    Current Status: In House Judiciary Committee.
    Primary Sponsor: Cooper.
    Full Text: 2009-2010 Bill 3003: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online GrassRoots GunRights Analysis of H. 3003
    As currently drafted, H. 3003 is a compromise bill that forces gun owners to give up something (i.e., in vehicle concealed carry for CWP holders; concealed carry for business owners, employees, and managers; and any kind of carry for business owners and managers of businesses that serve alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption) in order to get something (i.e., open carry).

Have you read their position on the current bill, which is probably behind the "attitude" from Grass Roots? The current bill would be a HELL of a compromise, and is unacceptable:

H. 3003
    GrassRoots Position: GrassRoots cannot support this bill unless amended (as explained below).
    Current Status: In House Judiciary Committee.
    Primary Sponsor: Cooper.
    Full Text: 2009-2010 Bill 3003: Weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online GrassRoots GunRights Analysis of H. 3003
    As currently drafted, H. 3003 is a compromise bill that forces gun owners to give up something (i.e., in vehicle concealed carry for CWP holders; concealed carry for business owners, employees, and managers; and any kind of carry for business owners and managers of businesses that serve alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption) in order to get something (i.e., open carry).
    I havent studied the bill, but have talked to some of the grassroot guys I own...While they are against it, they explained to me a bit differant.

Heres what I heard from some of them.....

H3003 will allow SC residents to Open Carry, and I believe it is without a permit correct?

Ok so no concealed carry in vehicles? Ok that isnt a big deal because according to the bill you will be allowed to open carry in a vehicle....Thats what I have been told by some grassroot people.I would rather have Open Carry and be able to open carry in my car, then concealed carry.

Employees, Buisness owners, etc.. I am not worried about truthfully, since my workplace doesnt allow it either way... I know some want it, but doesnt bother me at the moment...

I am going to read the bill right now myself to get a better view of it...so dont attack me for this post, this is just what I have been told....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants---Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast