Open carry in sc
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry in sc

Open carry in sc

Anyone ready to start a drive to establish OC as a right in this State? I think if we assail this issue from multiple levels and areas we might have a chance to have the existing law changed to be able to OC anytime/anywhere.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

A bill for that was filed in the state legislature not long ago and did not even make it to a committee hearing. I don't think it has much of a chance right now but I do think that the change for OC such as TN where you can OC with a CWP has a possibility. However there is little support for that from most Pro 2A groups as it is considered a compromise.

With Columbia... unfortunately it's baby steps.... the word I see is 'our' next step is to get rid of the stupid no carry in restaurants that serve Alcohol Law... that's the BIG one we need to force on them. I'm hoping that's what Grassroots S.C. is going to be pushing next time around.... who knows what the state's NRA leaders will do.. they are a pretty lame bunch in my opinion.

I remain hopeful. Once we get our new Gov in place and replace a few members in our legislature, something may change.

Like Blume.. said, "baby steps".

Many years ago I worked for S.C. public radio and we used to have

a late afternoon news cast.... Often some one down in Cola would record some of the debates between our state legislature.... I think they finally stopped airing this... it was pretty embarrassing to hear just how stupid and ignorant the people we elect are....

I remember both sides of the issue on a mandatory seat belt law quoting the bible.

example more recent.... when one of the committees were debating a year or so back about accepting all other states permits.. the representative from SLED testified that if we did then 16 year olds from New Hampshire could carry in S.C. because it seems one sheriff in New Hampshire issued a permit to one 16 year old.... none of these idiots including the rep of SLED had the brains to point out that this didn't matter because what ever permit you have you still have to go by the laws of the State you are carrying in. Minimum of 21 years old in S.C.

Most of the debate in the senate and such is just smoke and mirrors....

I depends on the state and how the laws are worded. In North Carolina if the permit is from a state with reciprocity they will honor the permit even if the person is less then 21. So if the same principle were applied to SC then SLED would be correct. I read about one 18 year-old resident of NC that was able to obtain a permit from another state and had it verified through the legal channels that it was valid.

The SLED spokesman was exaggerating some but it was possible if the law was worded in such a way as to accept all permits with no restrictions. In SC right now you have to be 21 to obtain a permit but only 18 to carry a handgun but I don't know if SC has reciprocity with any state that issues permits to anyone under 21. If so SC would have to accept that permit.

I'll support OC.
    I really miss it when I left Georgia.

Especially, when hunting/camping and coming back into town.
    Did it once here in SC.
    Still had my 357 when I got out of the truck and went into Walmart.
    Picked up some water, ice and more inspect repellent.
    No one said anything, but it was partially concealed by my jacket.

I don't understand why our legislators and especially SLED has such a problem with it.
    Does OC allow more crimes to be committed than CC?

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    I'll support OC.
    I really miss it when I left Georgia.

Especially, when hunting/camping and coming back into town.
    Did it once here in SC.
    Still had my 357 when I got out of the truck and went into Walmart.
    Picked up some water, ice and more inspect repellent.
    No one said anything, but it was partially concealed by my jacket.

I don't understand why our legislators and especially SLED has such a problem with it.
    Does OC allow more crimes to be committed than CC?
    I suppose technically you were legal stopping by Wal Mart on the way back from hunting and OC'ing. The way the law is written that is exactly what is means to me but I don't know what a judge would say and I don't know of any court ruling on it.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I remain hopeful. Once we get our new Gov in place and replace a few members in our legislature, something may change.

Like Blume.. said, "baby steps".
    Guess it's just me and my out look on Life BUT, I took baby steps when I was a baby. I've been an adult for many years now and I have heard through out my life, especially from "THOSE" that supposedly know better. It's the same mantra; To wait, bide one's time and formulate a plan. Don't rush into to it. Take a deep breath and relax. That kind of thinking has got us where we are today. Don't care what side of the aisle you hale from!

Well I'm tired of sitting by, tired of waiting. I will start in my district and work upward to resolve this issue of OC in SC. Actually as an amendment to existing law. I might ask that provisions be made that if you're honorably discharged. You qualify to CC and OC through out the State. As for a business that serves alcohol, if you carry and have ANY BAC, it's a felony.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Guess it's just me and my out look on Life BUT, I took baby steps when I was a baby. I've been an adult for many years now and I have heard through out my life, especially from "THOSE" that supposedly know better. It's the same mantra; To wait, bide one's time and formulate a plan. Don't rush into to it. Take a deep breath and relax. That kind of thinking has got us where we are today. Don't care what side of the aisle you hale from!

Well I'm tired of sitting by, tired of waiting. I will start in my district and work upward to resolve this issue of OC in SC. Actually as an amendment to existing law. I might ask that provisions be made that if you're honorably discharged. You qualify to CC and OC through out the State. As for a business that serves alcohol, if you carry and have ANY BAC, it's a felony.
    I am totally disappointed with Grassroots S.C. I got an email back from them that stated they would NOT COMPROMISE on anything. Well, SPORTS FANS, THAT ATTITUDE WILL GET US nowhere!

I don't see having to get a CWP to be able to carry open is a compromise. With A CWP, you would then have the OPTION to carry CONCEALED or OPEN, as the conditions dictated. But for our lobby group to say that "We will NEVER compromise" is holding back progress.

NOW, I do feel that the NRA blew it's chance at the recent Supreme Court case of McDonald when it DIDN'T go all out! It should have taken that opportunity to ask for an interpretation of the Second Amendment that was emphatic...we can keep and bear arms...ANYWHERE in any condition, be it concealed or open. In my opinion, they wimped out!! But what is different about what the NRA did, and what we are asking S.C. to do is that the NRA had the attention of the highest court in the land, and the timing to bring it off.

Maybe we just ought to find a "McDonald" in South Carolina, and bring this issue to court.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast