Couple of CWP questions:)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of CWP questions:)

Couple of CWP questions:)

I took my CWP class and aced it:) 100 on test and 100 on range. I am so proud of myself. Of course my time in the Marines I think helped a little with the shooting part:)

Anyways I will be mailing my packet to SLED either tormorrow or Monday...

My questions are...

On the form it asked for my social security number, I learned in the Marines, that I am not obligated by federal law to list my social on any document. Do I have to list it on this form? Or does it really matter? If I dont list it, will it result in a denial or will it take longer for them to process?

What exactly do they do? I know they do background checks, both State and Federal correct? Do they send it off to all 50 states?

I have never been arrested. The only thing I have ever did was 11 years ago when I was a minor (15 years old) and it was a dispute between me and another person. The only thing that happened was I have a restraining order put on me (as he did also) for 30 days (I believe it was 30 days). Again this was in another state (Indiana) and when I was 15 years old (Minor).. I doubt it will show up.

I dont have any problems buying guns. Handguns and Rifles, and have never had to wait more than a few mins for them to call, to be approved for them.

I think I am fine, but I guess I just want some reassurance lol:) I get nervous with this, I have been wanting to take the CWP for 4 years now, and just finally did it.

Also I already checked my Driving Record. Only 2 tickets in 6 years, one for speeding and the other was a seatbelt violation.

thanks!!!
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants---Thomas Jefferson

Here is a good thread on providing info on your application. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...s-c-cwp-2.html All they are going to do is contact your county sheriffs office and have them sign off on your application. Then do a state and federal background check. From what you said about your background you won't have any problems getting your permit. Just fill it out and sen it in...you'll be OK!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

For most states your SSN is optional. Law enforcement agencies can get it using the ID info you supply, though in many cases it will speed up the process if there are questions as to your identity due to common name, description, etc. If in doubt, contact the issuing agency and see if it is a requirement of optional.

As for what they check, each state is different. Most states will do a nationwide NCIC database search. The FBI fingerprint check is pretty standard as well. Others contact the local authorities where you live and may contact previous states if you recently moved to your present address.

From what you described, you shouldn't have any problem getting your permit/license. Good luck!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Ok that's good...

I got the last step done today. Which were the fingerprint cards. But I think the lady did it wrong..

On the card it say l. Thumb l. Middle, etc..... shedid the right hand where it says left, and the left hand where it says right thumb etc... should I have them redone? Also I did mine with ink, but I heard some apps get sent back because they were done with ink, is there any way to tell if mine were done allright???? I don't know anyplace near me that does electronic fingerprinting
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants---Thomas Jefferson

Be sure that the correct finger prints are in the appropriate blocks. Failure to do so could result in delays in receiving your permit. I don't understand what you mean by "Also I did mine with ink, but I heard some apps get sent back because they were done with ink, is there any way to tell if mine were done allright????"

As stated earlier, contact the issuing agency with any questions. You'll probably get more accurate answers then from random people on an open internet forum.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

On the ink thing... I was told that some people who do their fingerprint cards in Ink, get them sent back and that it is bettter to do the fingerprints electronically...

I guess on Monday I will have to find a place to get my fingerprints done again, since the lady put my left fingerprints in the right hand block and my right fingerprints in the left hand boxes....

I would have the finger prints redone for sure.... folks that process these things are sticklers for exactly right.... as for the application, I would not fret it. I also would not list the restraining order, I don't think you have to since you were only 15 and I don't think they should be able to find it any way.

All this makes me thankful that the folks I did my CWP class with took care of all this for me.... did the prints.... helped with filling out the form correctly... took my money and sent SLED a money order with the applicaton and other paperwork... all I had to do was spend a day with them and help out....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I would have the finger prints redone for sure.... folks that process these things are sticklers for exactly right.... as for the application, I would not fret it. I also would not list the restraining order, I don't think you have to since you were only 15 and I don't think they should be able to find it any way.

All this makes me thankful that the folks I did my CWP class with took care of all this for me.... did the prints.... helped with filling out the form correctly... took my money and sent SLED a money order with the applicaton and other paperwork... all I had to do was spend a day with them and help out....
    Get the prints redone - the permit department is a stickler for accuracy. However I don't know how they would know they were wrong.

On the restraining order, you may want to ask a lawyer. I was told to list EVERYTHING. Even an offense that would not disqualify you can give them cause to turn you down if you don't tell them about it. The issue is, since you were 15, it would be in your juvenile records and I don't think SLED can see that. Read over the website carefully (the parts most of us skim over) - the answer may be hidden in there somewhere.

The current application doesn't give an opportunity to list prior offenses. You only certify that you meet the federal and state requirements which are pretty loosey goosey. If the FBI background check uncovers the restraining order you may be denied and have to appeal. That just means it will take a little longer. You may want to just call them and ask if it will be a problem and if there's anything you can do to provide them with additional info. Every time I called them they were very helpful.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The same was for me, they did everything, but since the Lady forgot the fingerprint stuff, they came back friday to redo them...and I have been working so I havent had a chance to get them redone.....kind of sucks, but it will be worth it in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast