Sunday Hunting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting

Sunday Hunting

Can someone point me to the law(s) or regulations restricting Sunday hunting? According to this map http://www.nraila.org/maps/sh.jpg Sunday hunting in the state of SC is limitted to private land only.

Yeah, I am looking for another letter to write my state representatives.

SCDNR - Rules and Regulations almost at the bottom of the page

Sunday Hunting

Hunting is prohibited on Sundays on all WMA lands. On private lands statewide, Sunday hunting for all game is legal except bear hunting which is prohibited on Sundays in Game Zone 1.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

So then the state legislature is esentially out of the loop? I need to contact the DNR?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    So then the state legislature is esentially out of the loop? I need to contact the DNR?
    Good luck with that..
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Yep. Give them a phone call. I always get through, and so far they have always answered my questions. The last answer they gave me was in the "hunting with a silencer" post (allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    Good luck with that..
    Is that a statement of pesimistic resignation, or of encouragement?

I still don't understand why the division between game zones 1 and 2 does not fall along county lines like all the others do.

Unless you have a crop on 25 or more contiguous acres....

Does this mean that if you have a corn or soybeans growing, fruit trees, etc, you can kill any animal that may threaten your crop? SC DNR rules and regs do not apply...Am I reading this section correctly...

ARTICLE 7. LOCAL REGULATIONS

SECTION 23-31-510. Regulation of ownership, transfer, or possession of firearm or ammunition; discharge on landowner's own property. [SC ST SEC 23-31-510]

No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate:

(1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things; or

(2) a landowner discharging a firearm on the landowner's property to protect the landowner's family, employees, the general public, or the landowner's property from animals that the landowner reasonably believes pose a direct threat or danger to the landowner's property, people on the landowner's property, or the general public. For purposes of this item, the landowner's property must be a parcel of land comprised of at least twenty-five contiguous acres. Any ordinance regulating the discharge of firearms that does not specifically provide for an exclusion pursuant to this item is unenforceable as it pertains to an incident described in this item; otherwise, the ordinance is enforceable.

I don't think you need a crop on your land to comply. It states, or the landowner's property from animals that the landowner reasonably believes pose a direct threat or danger to the landowner's property. The way I read it is if you have animals that can damage your property you are good to go. If I see a Beaver in my pond then I can assume it will damage my pond. If a Coyote is on my land I can see danger to my family and land so I should be able to shoot it. I have 41 acres so I should be able to protect my land and family regardless what I have growing on it.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I don't think you need a crop on your land to comply. It states, or the landowner's property from animals that the landowner reasonably believes pose a direct threat or danger to the landowner's property. The way I read it is if you have animals that can damage your property you are good to go. If I see a Beaver in my pond then I can assume it will damage my pond. If a Coyote is on my land I can see danger to my family and land so I should be able to shoot it. I have 41 acres so I should be able to protect my land and family regardless what I have growing on it.
    You have an excellent point...A deer may be in rut and they definitely destroy trees...

Do you think that means regardless of day or times?...night hunts for like coon, rabbits and hogs?

I see no time stipulation! However, I'd stick to daytime for game like Deer and night for animals that are allowed to be hunted at night...just to be on the safe side. If they became dangerous for my family I wouldn't care what time of the day it was.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast