Confusing gun laws
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusing gun laws

1. Confusing gun laws

Good Day Everyone,

New member here and to SC in general. Moved down from Michigan a few months ago to the SC/NC border area by Charlotte. Enjoying the area so far.

One of the things that I wanted to do was to purchase my first handgun and then sign up for the CCW class. Has always been something that I wanted to do. First thing I did was to go to a local gun store about 5 miles from me in SC. They informed me that before I could purchase a handgun in their store I had to show residency for 3 months in the state of SC. Alright then. I applied and received my SC drives license AND VOTER REGISTRATION CARD qand have had this for approximately 5 weeks now.

On a whim this past Saturday I was at a gun store in NC just browsing. Imagine my surprise when a store member informed me that I could purchase a handgun there that day! The only thing that I would have to do is have the gun delivered to a pawn shop in SC! What the heck? I'll be able to pick the gun up tomorrow evening. I've heard so many crazy things regarding the gun laws I'm not sure what is required these days.

Do they do back ground checks, waiting periods, etc. around here? When can I actually take a CCW class and apply for my permit?

So confused,
    Michael

You could have taken the class anytime... you would have just had to wait till you had the proper documentation... D.L. and such before sending the paper work in....

the deal with the gun show.. is that a resident of one state can not go to another state.... even if that state is just across the street and purchase a handgun.... if purchasing a handgun out of state the gun must be shipped / delivered to a gun store (FFL) in the buyers resident state to be transfered... you may pay for the gun in N.C. but the transfer has to be done in S.C. through a licensed dealer... yes, there will be a back ground check... which means they have to call the government and check on you... put your social security number on the form even though it is optional.. this won't hurt and might help.

Keep in mind that you can now as a resident of S.C. purchase a gun hand gun, rifle, or shotgun. from another resident of S.C. in a private sale and no government forms are required. You could have done this legally the day you moved to S.C. A lot of the folks selling guns at gun shows are 'private sellers' not licensed dealers.... if you attend a gun show here in S.C. you can then just buy the gun out right from a private person...

N.C. is different... all handgun sales (private or through a store) must have a permit from the County Sheriff... be glad you don't live up there.. this is left over from the old Jim Crowe days when 'they' didn't want blacks to have handguns.

Once you receive your Concealed Weapons Permit if you want to buy a gun from a store (FFL) in S.C. you will not have to go through the back ground check... your CWP saves you that hassle

I'm not sure about the three month requirement. I always thought once you established a home and got your DL you were considered a resident of SC. SLED probably has their own requirements that are not listed. An out of state FFL doesn't care if you are a resident or not. All they see is a SC DL. Once they ship it to a SC FFL you have to meet SC requirements and fill out the 4473 to pick up the firearm.

Background checks are required on all dealer transaction in every state. Fed law! One exception in SC is if you have a SC CWP then you are exempt from background checks. One great benefit of having a CWP. There is no waiting period in SC. Just fill out a 4473, pay for the firearm and carry it home. For CWP class and others residency questions I'd recommend calling SLED and find out their requirements.

Concealed Weapons Permits, Security Guard, and Private Investigator Questions
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I'm not sure about the three month requirement.
    That was changed a few years back, IIRC. And I think the requirement had to do with issueing CCW permits. Once you are a resident of the state, you're a South Carolinian. Welcome to the state by the way. The only extended residency requirement is for the South Carolina lifetime hunting and fishing licences. You have to be a resident for the last 180 days, this is to prevent out of state visitors from obtaining these licences while on vacation.

I don't see what the big deal is with issuing CCW permits and Hunting licences to out of staters, but aparently the state of South Carolina does not want to do it at this particular time.

Quote Originally Posted by Labratinamaze View Post
    Good Day Everyone,

New member here and to SC in general. Moved down from Michigan a few months ago to the SC/NC border area by Charlotte. Enjoying the area so far.

One of the things that I wanted to do was to purchase my first handgun and then sign up for the CCW class. Has always been something that I wanted to do. First thing I did was to go to a local gun store about 5 miles from me in SC. They informed me that before I could purchase a handgun in their store I had to show residency for 3 months in the state of SC. Alright then. I applied and received my SC drives license AND VOTER REGISTRATION CARD qand have had this for approximately 5 weeks now.

On a whim this past Saturday I was at a gun store in NC just browsing. Imagine my surprise when a store member informed me that I could purchase a handgun there that day! The only thing that I would have to do is have the gun delivered to a pawn shop in SC! What the heck? I'll be able to pick the gun up tomorrow evening. I've heard so many crazy things regarding the gun laws I'm not sure what is required these days.

Do they do back ground checks, waiting periods, etc. around here? When can I actually take a CCW class and apply for my permit?

So confused,
    Michael
    Welcome Rat. Just a couple questions for clarification. Do you live in SC or NC? Your actions indicate that you live in SC, but you never actually said where you live.

Regarding the gun, you can purchase a gun from anyone in any state, as long as it is delivered through an FFL in your resident state (assuming you can own a handgun in your state). It doesn't have to be a pawn shop. Gun stores are of course FFL holders, but there are one-man FFLs too. The FFL will run a background check when he turns over the gun to you. Takes about 3 minutes.

You can buy a gun from an individual within your own state (SC) with no background check, no registration, no paperwork, or any other formality.

There is no waiting period in SC. There is no time frame for residency for firearm purchases in SC.

And there's no silly one gun a month law anymore either. South Carolina has the distinction of being the first state to pass such a law, realize that it didn't actually do anything, and take the law off the books. Other states should learn from our lesson.

8. State by State gun laws

Just read the State by State gun laws for CCW in " Concealed Carry Handguns" magazine. Very specific, but like most publications, suggested that one research the laws in their specific state (or the ones they wish to travel to) so as to not be in error when carrying. Just new to this web site, but look forward to reading all site members comments.

Quote Originally Posted by lurossda View Post
    Just read the State by State gun laws for CCW in " Concealed Carry Handguns" magazine. Very specific, but like most publications, suggested that one research the laws in their specific state (or the ones they wish to travel to) so as to not be in error when carrying. Just new to this web site, but look forward to reading all site members comments.
    Welcome aboard.

10. Thank you for all of your information that you all supplied to me. It seems a little overwhelming right now. I guess I need to slow down and take one step at a time. I'm actually in no hurry right now so that is good.

I actually live in SC near Lake Wylie or Clover. Anybody from around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Labratinamaze View Post
    Thank you for all of your information that you all supplied to me. It seems a little overwhelming right now. I guess I need to slow down and take one step at a time. I'm actually in no hurry right now so that is good.

I actually live in SC near Lake Wylie or Clover. Anybody from around here?
    That's a cool place to live. I have friends that are revolutionary war reinactors at King's Mountain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast