NEED HELP!!! Just got a Denial Letter... HELP?!?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP!!! Just got a Denial Letter... HELP?!?!

What county are you in? It may be a denial from the Sheriff's Office since they have to sign off on it. I have a friend that had a similar problem and he contacted the Sheriff's Office and they took care of it. He was busted with pot in NC when he was young and they were able to get it resolved. They can get the info quicker and they will send the letter to SLED. He made an appointment with the Greenville County Sheriff, plead his case and got his permit. Worth a call.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I'm still trying to figure out what STATE he's in. None the less, in a may issue state, the decision is left to the discretion of the police chief / sheriff yada yada. I know a guy who had an arrest on a spousal abuse charge and after explaining what happened and it was run by the arresting officer he got his CC.

Get your ducks in a row. ALL of them. Then present your strongest case you can muster. Be patient. Be thorough. Good luck.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

I would check to see if you are able to access CLERK of the Courts via the Internet. A lot are now accessible and list records of arrest and or adjudication of the arrest. If they do and system show null pros, I would think this would assist in clearing your name. OR push comes to shove, re-submit after all paperwork is in order. SOMETIMES, things just take time............Good Luck, Semper Fi!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

5. Alright, Here is some clarification of some of the earlier post and what you guys are asking...

The incident that took place in 2004 was in Stafford County, Virginia.

I currently live in Berkely County in Ladson, SC.

So I doubt that contacting the local Sheriff in Stafford, Virginia is going to care to much about helping me obtain a CWP in the state of South Carolina. I'm sure that he has more things to worry about then helping me get my CWP in two states south of him.

I never thought about asking if I could access the records online. I would imagine though, if it was that easy, the lady I spoke with from Virginia Court would have directed me to the website, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. The worst they could say is no right?

Thanks for all the feedback... This is good stuff. Thanks and please keep it coming.

tyjack09-your local county sheriff is the one to call bud, not Virginia . Sled contacts your county sheriff and they may have possibly thrown the wrench in the works-wouldn't hurt to call or even go talk to them in person.

7. Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    tyjack09-your local county sheriff is the one to call bud, not Virginia . Sled contacts your county sheriff and they may have possibly thrown the wrench in the works-wouldn't hurt to call or even go talk to them in person.
    Alright so what your saying is, SLED contacts the Sheriff's Office of the county I currently reside in here in SC... Then the county Sheriff's Office runs a check and reports back to SLED...

This is all starting to come together for me... If the above is correct, SLED only utlizes local agencies to run the background checks vice when I went for my security clearance and bought my guns, the background checks for those things are run by federal or national agencies, i.e. the FBI... It makes sense of why SLED only see's the arrest but not the outcome of the charges being dropped and the case being thrown out.

homershoots... Thank you for the heads up... Fortunately I have a few friends that work for the Berkely County Sheriff's Office and they will be able to help get the answers I am looking for or at least get me started in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tyjack09 View Post
    Alright so what your saying is, SLED contacts the Sheriff's Office of the county I currently reside in here in SC... Then the county Sheriff's Office runs a check and reports back to SLED...
    That's correct just like the example I told you about in my post. If you satisfy the Sheriff's objections they will the sign off on the CWP. All they see is the arrest on your record not the outcome.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I had the same thing happen to me when I applied. The only difference was that the court records required were 40 years old. When I contacted the courts to find out what I needed they told me the same thing with regards to time frame. I filed my appeal with SLED and explained in the letter that I was attempting to get the records and would supply them as soon as I received them. In the letter to the court I indicated that I needed to supply the records to SLED within 30 days. I think I received the records in just over a week and sent them on to SLED. As soon as they received the records they processed the appeal. In the denial letter from SLED they indicated that as a matter of policy they deny applications for any arrest/conviction. If it appears in the background check they deny the app. You'll be fine just submit it and do what you need to.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

10. If the county clerk in VA really doesn't offer an expedited service to citizens (FedEx + a fee) like the last poster described, you can hire (by phone) a legal courier in that county instead of a lawyer. The courier will go to the Clerk's office, do the research for you, and FedEx the certified copies to you. Probably the same day, and much cheaper than a lawyer. That's who a lawyer would hire to do it.

Worst case scenario, file your appeal with the Chief of SLED before your 30 days are up even if you don't have the documentation yet. That way your appeal isn't denied for untimely filing. Explain the situation, and request that he obtain the disposition information. Alternatively, request more time to provide the documentation.

If he quickly denies your appeal before you have time to amend it with the additional documentation, then you still have 30 more days from that date to file another appeal with the Administrative Law Court. And the ALC will accept amended filings, so really you have even more time to get the documents. SLED will probably issue the permit to you as soon as you provide them with the disposition documents, so you'll probably never have to go to court.

If the Berkeley County Sherriff can help you, great. If not, don't let the 30 days expire without filing something with SLED. This really isn't a big deal, if you don't let the time expire. Just hire a courier up there in VA. Here's one I found up that way with a quick Google search:

Professional Legal Resource Group
    123 Martin Drive
    Manassas, VA 20111
    (888) 216-1880

There may be others up there who are cheaper, better, quicker, not out-of-business. Who knows? Not me. Try an old Yellow Pages from up that way, if you have one. Ask the Clerk's office for a recommendation. Good luck.

11. Arrest record

I'd work on getting that arrest record purged.
    It can come up to bite you again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast