Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Hopefully we won't. Reciprocity requires both states to enter into an agreement to accept the other states permit. Some states currently won't accept our CWP only because we won't accept theirs, normally because their training does meet South Carolina's standards. Reciprocity can be cancelled at any time.
    If you read the bill you'll see that they want to do away with Reciprocity. Under this bill SC must honor all states permits regardless of their training or requirements. It will be up to the other states to add SC to their list without an agreement.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I see that one thing this bill does is get rid of three no-carry zones, daycare and pre-school facilities, hospitals and doctor's offices, and churches. That's a good improvement.

Thanks

for the clarification. I like "recognition" better!

Hopefully we won't. Reciprocity requires both states to enter into an agreement to accept the other states permit. Some states currently won't accept our CWP only because we won't accept theirs, normally because their training does meet South Carolina's standards. Reciprocity can be cancelled at any time.

What we want is recognition. This is how drivers licenses work. If you're licensed to drive in one state, you can legally drive in any other state as long as you follow their laws. Much easier and much more encompassing.

Gov Haley will sign any pro-gun bill that comes across her desk. We just need to ensure the right bills get to her. H.3292, with a few tweaks, just might be that bill. Unfortunately, she has her hands full with more pressing matters so I doubt she'll be leading the way in the gun rights arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    If you read the bill you'll see that they want to do away with Reciprocity. Under this bill SC must honor all states permits regardless of their training or requirements. It will be up to the other states to add SC to their list without an agreement.
    If you read my post in context to the quoted post, you'd know I'm not the one who brought up reciprocity. You're correcting the wrong guy.

I've read the bill and know exactly what it says, and at least for the most part exactly what's wrong with it. I'm also taking an active part in improving it and getting it passed. Where are you expending your time, energy and money?
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I called my Representative today to ask for his support of this Bill. He was not availible but returned my call in about fifteen minutes He informed me that he reviewed the Bill last night and will be signing on to it today.

I agree that this Bill is not perfect and needs some tweaks but it is far Superior to what we have now.

If you read my post in context to the quoted post, you'd know I'm not the one who brought up reciprocity. You're correcting the wrong guy.

I've read the bill and know exactly what it says, and at least for the most part exactly what's wrong with it. I'm also taking an active part in improving it and getting it passed. Where are you expending your time, energy and money?
    I stand corrected. I did misread your post. As far as my time, energy and money...I do my share!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

NRA-ILA :: South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Reform to be Heard on Thursday, February 3!

South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Reform to be Heard on Thursday, February 3! Friday, January 28, 2011

House Bill 3292, the comprehensive Right-to-Carry reform bill introduced by state Representative Mike Pitts (R-14) has been scheduled to be heard on Thursday, February 3, in the House Judiciary Committee’s General Laws Subcommittee. The meeting is scheduled at 9:00 AM, and will be held in room 515-A of the Blatt Building in Columbia.

H. 3292 seeks to reform current law to remove certain restrictions on where one may lawfully carry a concealed firearm, establish that property owners may not set policies or rules that would prohibit the transportation or storage of legally-possessed firearms or ammunition if it is locked, out of sight, within a privately-owned motor vehicle, and create a straight recognition standard for valid permits issued by other states.

Please take a moment to contact members of that subcommittee and urge them to support H 3292.
    For a listing of subcommittee members, go to www.scstatehouse.gov/html-pages/housecommlst.html#jud, then click on the “Subcommittee Assignments” link. Once you have the list of Subcommittee members, you can go to www.scstatehouse.gov/html-pages/housemembers.html to find contact information for each member.

I would contact my House Rep Joe Jefferson, District 102. But he's got a big "D" after his name and would probably be an obstructionist verses helpful. If it gets out of the House I will follow up with Paul Campbell in my District for his support.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

mappow, contact him anyway. Let them know you are a voter and won't vote for anyone that votes against this bill. Can't hurt!

I'm hoping for this bill to pass. However, I'm sure this will get hacked away to nothing substantial, while Bill H.3405 will probably pass untouched. But we will see.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast