Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced

I have only followed this fiasco via the SC firearms forum... but it seems the politicians could and should run their ideas by folks who understand S.C.'s existing gun laws and how throwing out a section and pushing in another is going to effect the overall situation.

there were problems with Pitt's original bill and Grassroots tried to give suggestions to fix these and the committee intentionally disregarded all this... then Viers threw in an amendment that on the face of it looked good until you understand what the words 'carry' and 'non resident' means...

the way I understand it... Vier's original amendment would have made it illegal for anyone from out of state to even have a handgun in S.C. unless they have a permit from their home state and S.C. has reciprocity with that state... they could not have it in their car stored in the glove box or I think even in the trunk unloaded... let alone go to a shooting event.

that was just a classic mistake and could be 'forgiven' but in stead of owning up to this, Viers claimed it was not a problem... then when he discovered Grassroots was right he slipped in a 'newer' amendment on the state's web page and claims this is his original one....

it appears the guy is showing his true colors.

Red Hat, I am with you on this. I have no idea what Mr. Butler and GRSC is screaming and throwing tantrums about. I agree that the bill that came from the subcommittee was screwed up but it was not a major problem to fix it if only the problem had been politely pointed out and the subcommittee notified. I seriously think that they did not realize the effect of the bill due to someones misinterpretation of it. As it is now the bill is in great danger of being killed and we will wind up with nothing.

After all the screaming and name calling the subcommittee as I understand has refused to reconsider the bill and will let it die rather than try to change it. However Rep. Viers has rewritten it and will submit his proposal to the full Committee on Tuesday. In the previous meeting he was granted a week to rewrite it and present it to the full committee.

His rewritten proposal is posted on line at the following link:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/citizens...dAmendment.pdf

His proposal is a long way from being perfect but does make the major change that I assume that GRSC was so inflamed about. The parts about restaurant and school carry were left intact from the subcommittee version as well as the 21 carry regulation. It does not change any of the reciprocity agreement regulations which would have to be in a different bill due to the sentiment in the legislature about that and fought at a different time. The parking lot carry is the same as there is already another bill to cover that.

I think it is a good bill but not perfect and if it can get through the process I will be happy but I am sure that GRSC will not. I can find nothing in this bill, but I am subject to be corrected, that removes any rights that we now have.

Red Hat , I like you cannot say that Grass Roots speaks for me unless they will fully support this version.

I'm tired of trying to have a one way discussion on this. Grassroots and their spokesman hp-hobo have taken a page out of the liberal/brady handbook. Put out a point sheet and defend it by calling people names, belittling people, confuse the facts by misdirection and claiming everyone that doesn't agree as anti-gun and anti-2A. I've said all along that this bill has problems just as every bill in it's infancy. Instead of working with them to get the best bill possible they have decided to denigrate it since they didn't get their changes implemented. Let see why they are mad, didn't get carry age changed to 18, didn't get the change to allow drinking while carrying, didn't get officer notification removed and didn't get homeowners requirement to post signs if they didn't want someone carrying on their property. In fact they couldn't get support from any member on any of their changes. How demeaning...

Just like any bill the very first version is just a draft that sometimes receives major changes in committee. Compromises and deals are made to insure the votes are there. You have to remember that we are not losing anything if it's not in the law already. This All-or-Nothing attitude will be a bill killer no matter how minor or major the changes are.

[email protected], I addressed your concerns in this post. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/south...tml#post185644

As far a Viers and his "No contest" plea, June 14, 2007, for threatened to beat up his estranged wife's lover no one can defend that. But that doesn't give Grassroots members the right to do the same to him.

If you look at all the pro gun bills in SC you'll find Mike Pitts and until last year Jeff Duncan at the top of the sponsor list. Luckily in SC we have somewhat of bipartisan support on most gun bills and a lot of other states envy us for that. We are not moving as fast as some like AZ but we're chipping away to get there. Instead of being pessimistic we need to be optimistic and work for changes not throw them away!

I took the existing bill, removed all the deleted line and added the sub-committee changes so you could see the meaning of this bill. If anyone wants to look at it I'll post it.

This is my last post on this issue!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    This is my last post on this issue!
    In other words, you can't find a single item that is wrong in GrassRoots analysis of the bill. What a shocker.

If anyone in this thread adheres to the uneducated liberal mindset it would be you. You don't want to be confused with the facts, you're only concerned with how you feel.

Good job.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I thought the bill originally allowed open carry. This one does not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    In other words, you can't find a single item that is wrong in GrassRoots analysis of the bill. What a shocker.

If anyone in this thread adheres to the uneducated liberal mindset it would be you. You don't want to be confused with the facts, you're only concerned with how you feel.

Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by stateisevil View Post
    I thought the bill originally allowed open carry. This one does not correct?
    As far as I can tell this one meets the requirements of both Pitts, GRSC and Viers that it only includes concealed unpermitted carry and not OC. The one line in it that says that you cannot carry in an unconcealed manner is what I am basing that on and it what I understand that all wanted. One of the problems I kept hearing about the original and subcommittee versions was that it allowed OC and no one wanted that for some reason.

As for the Grassroots analysis I don't know that there was anything technically wrong with the legal analysis but there were several items in there that I totally disagreed with as for as being put into law including some of the proposed changes recommended. If this bill passes SC will become the only state in the nation that I know of that requires no permit to CC but does not permit OC. That will place SC in a very unique position.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    As far as I can tell this one meets the requirements of both Pitts, GRSC and Viers that it only includes concealed unpermitted carry and not OC. The one line in it that says that you cannot carry in an unconcealed manner is what I am basing that on and it what I understand that all wanted. One of the problems I kept hearing about the original and subcommittee versions was that it allowed OC and no one wanted that for some reason.

As for the Grassroots analysis I don't know that there was anything technically wrong with the legal analysis but there were several items in there that I totally disagreed with as for as being put into law including some of the proposed changes recommended. If this bill passes SC will become the only state in the nation that I know of that requires no permit to CC but does not permit OC. That will place SC in a very unique position.
    Well, hopefully it will pass anyway. If it does, you probably won't have to wait long before SC has open carry. If Fl and TX get open carry, it could happen pretty quick. 1-3 years in government time.

I just found this on another forum. Looks like it is dead until later this year.

I just received this from my representative, Eric Bikas. __________________________________________________ ____________________ Hey Eddie: I would have emailed you back on Sunday, but I didn't have any substantial information for you. Now I do, Thad Viers(sub committee chair) and Mike Pitts(original author) have decided to pull 3292 off of the table because of the flak they have received. Instead a new bill will be introduced and become the new gun rights bill. They tell me that we will take the new bill up this year. I am frustrated but sometimes that is how things goinColumbia. I am optimistic about this new bill though. EB _____

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Enos Strait, Rosco P. Coltrain and Cleatus

Alot of the money that goes through that orginization probably goes to Couter Davenport's garrage and towing service.

These idiots are doing every trick they can to keep this from coming up. We need to vote the bunch of bureaucratic out of office and take control of our state!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast