Georgia and South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia and South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit Question

1. Question Georgia and South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit Question

I just moved to Georgia from South Carolina, where I have my CWP. Since I am now a resident of GA, I can technically get a my GA carry permit correct? But this poses a problem, will my SC CWP permit still be valid? I frequently travel back and forth between both states as I live very close to the state lines, so what is my best option?

I don't see a "resident time" for which one has to be a GA resident before applying...so you should be good to go there.

Your SC permit may or may not be voided when you inform them of your address change.

As I understand SC law, your SC CWP is no longer valid since you have moved to Georgia. If you own property in SC, you qualify for a SC non-resident CWP. Otherwise, I don't know how you can solve the problem because SC does not recognize permits of people who are not residents of the state that issued the permit. Is that confusing enough?!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    As I understand SC law, your SC CWP is no longer valid since you have moved to Georgia. If you own property in SC, you qualify for a SC non-resident CWP. Otherwise, I don't know how you can solve the problem because SC does not recognize permits of people who are not residents of the state that issued the permit. Is that confusing enough?!
    That's the way I understand it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    msbrown, sc does not recognize Ga. Get yourself a Fla. ccp and problem solved.
    It solves the GA problem but SC is still a problem. SC doesn't recognize FL non-resident permits.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

8. Thanks guys, I was just trying to find a way around it. I guess the only way I can technically have both is if I still lived in SC, then I could just get a NH non-resident and be done with it.

You are correct. Even if you get a NH nonresident permit once you move to GA you won't be able to carry in SC. Hopefully they will pass the new bill and we start recognizing all permits.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

GA has done a lot of things that won't help, SC will never probably except a States Permit that has a finger print instead of a picture. That doesn't make any sense to me, having a finger print on a Permit. I'm from GA and have family there. I shop in GA a lot and I have a NH Permit.

...South Carolina permit INVALID..

As previously stated, your South Carolina permit is INVALID. It cannot be used in South Carolina (as you are no longer a S.C. resident)...unless, you still own real property in S.C.
    If you own real property in S.C., I would contact SLED Regulatory division and ask IF you should apply for a S.C. non-resident permit.
    As a Georgia resident, I would recommend that you contact the local Sheriff and inform him that you would like a Georgia CWP. He will take it from there.
    Where information is concerned regarding the State Laws, this website has an excellent State law page, as does handgunlaw.com.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast