Permit Size ? Mine is almost 4.5 inches
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permit Size ? Mine is almost 4.5 inches

1. Permit Size ? Mine is almost 4.5 inches

Just received my SC Non-resident permit. This thing won't fit in my wallet. It is almost 4.5 inches long. The code below states no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size. Is this a mistake? Should I complain or just buy a larger wallet.

The section of code is S.C. Code Section 23-31-215(A)(3)

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty-one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon upon submission of:

Someone at SLED didn't read the rules? Imagine the government screwing up something simple like a permit. Imagine what they could do to something like, say... a budget. Oops!

Florida resident is a credit card size.

CCLs in Oklahoma are credit-card sized, same as our driver's licenses.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

MY SC resident permit is the same size as my DL or a CC. I didn't know that there was any difference between a resident and non-resident pemit for SC as the only way you can tell mine is a resident permit is by the address. You should call SLED and ask about it but otherwise I can't help you. Technically SC does not issue non-resident permits because if you live out of state you have to own land in SC and the only difference in the application is rather than submitting a copy of your DL you have to submit a copy of your property tax bill. To say that it is a non-resident permit is almost a misnomer but is correct either way I suppose.

Oooohhhhh, so it is all about size.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

7. "MY SC resident permit is the same size as my DL or a CC. I didn't know that there was any difference between a resident and non-resident pemit for SC as the only way you can tell mine is a resident permit is by the address. You should call SLED and ask about it but otherwise I can't help you. Technically SC does not issue non-resident permits because if you live out of state you have to own land in SC and the only difference in the application is rather than submitting a copy of your DL you have to submit a copy of your property tax bill. To say that it is a non-resident permit is almost a misnomer but is correct either way I suppose."

You do need to submit a DL and not a Tax bill but a notarized form from SLED filled out by the Tax man in your county. The CWP even says Non-Resident in bold letters. My problem is the size that will not fit in a wallet. Today was a holiday so I will try Sled tomorrow. I guess I can always fold it. This thing is huge.......suitable for framing LOL

8. Called SLED today and was told it is what it is. They said I could fold it to fit it into my wallet. Oh well, at least I have one.

sounds like a problem to me....
    probably Sled just being more of a pain since they don't want us carrying anyway.

Thumbs down Sled?!?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    sounds like a problem to me....
    probably Sled just being more of a pain since they don't want us carrying anyway.
    Enos Strait, Rosco P. Coltrain, and Cleatus

State Law Enforcement Division

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast