H.3292 just passed in Committee!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H.3292 just passed in Committee!

H.3292 just passed in subcommittee!

I just heard on the news that it passed in a House panel unanimously! The Sheriffs organization is complaining. They want to see a yearly training requirement to be put in the bill.

Concealed Gun Bill Advances At SC Statehouse | WSPA

Concealed Gun Bill Advances At SC Statehouse

By Associated Press
    Published: February 24, 2011
    Updated: February 24, 2011 - 12:16 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. --

South Carolina citizens could carry a concealed weapon without a permit under legislation advanced by a House panel.

The measure approved unanimously Thursday by a House Judiciary subcommittee applies to any South Carolina resident at least 21-years-old who can legally own a gun.

The bill advances to the full Judiciary Committee.

Supporters say law-abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves from criminals who don't respect gun laws.

State Law Enforcement Division Chief Reggie Lloyd says he has no problem with the proposal. He says women especially need to be able to protect themselves.

Gun rights activist Robert Butler called it a step in the right direction.
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...expanding.html

SC panel approves bill expanding gun rights

By SEANNA ADCOX
    Associated Press
    Posted: Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011

COLUMBIA, S.C. Gun-rights activists applauded a vote Thursday that would allow South Carolina citizens to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.

The measure, which applies to any resident at least 21 years old who can legally own a gun, has bipartisan support in this gun-friendly state. A House panel voted unanimously to advance the amended bill to the full Judiciary Committee.

"You can't prevent a criminal from having a gun," said Byron Chafin of rural Batesburg, who has a concealed carry permit. "A law-abiding citizen should have the right to protect themselves anywhere they go."

South Carolina's top law enforcement officer said allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed guns makes people feel safer and could deter an attack, and he has no problem with it.

"You've got to have a way to defend yourself," said State Law Enforcement Division chief Reggie Lloyd, a former judge and U.S. attorney, noting his strong belief that women especially need to arm themselves against attacks.
    Other law enforcement officers say they're concerned about allowing people to carry concealed guns without training.

"It's not that we're anti-gun-freedom," said Jarrod Bruder, executive director of the state Law Enforcement Officers Association. "We understand Second Amendment rights, but we want people to know how to use it."

As of Tuesday, 130,541 people in South Carolina hold permits to carry concealed weapons, according to SLED. The permitting process requires at least eight hours of training, which includes hitting 70 percent of targets with a handgun on a course that ranges from 3 to 25 yards, and education on gun safety and laws.

Opponents of the bill say that education piece is especially important.

Without it, people may assume they can carry a gun anywhere and could get in legal trouble, said Jeff Moore, executive director of the South Carolina Sheriffs' Association. He doubts people would read state gun laws on their own, which specify, for example, that guns are prohibited from school sporting events, bars, and government meetings, and businesses can ban them.

Moore noted the proposal would make it harder for a South Carolinian born after 1979 to hunt than to carry a concealed weapon on the street. Hunting requires an education course and permit.
    "It doesn't make sense," he said.

The main sponsor, Rep. Mike Pitts, said he understands the concerns, but it's about honoring residents' constitutional right to bear arms. While people should undergo training and would be safer if they do, the Constitution doesn't require it, he said.

"The bottom line is, we're not talking about a privilege granted by the state," said Pitts, R-Laurens, a retired law enforcement officer known for advocating gun-rights legislation. "Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't."

Nationwide, only three states allow residents to carry a concealed weapon without a permit: Alaska, Arizona and Vermont. Two states - Illinois and Wisconsin - forbid concealed carry, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures and the National Rifle Association.

South Carolina is among more than three dozen states that allow a concealed permit process without many restrictions for residents who meet the legal criteria, while other states have strict limits for who can get a permit.

Robert Butler of South Carolina's GrassRoots GunRights called the House measure a positive step that didn't go as far as the group wanted.

Members, for example, wanted to drop the age to carry from 21 to 18, saying if they're old enough to die for their country, they're old enough to carry a gun off the battlefield.

But Carlton O'Neal, a Benedict College political science major, disagreed, saying many 18-year-olds aren't mature enough.

"It should definitely stay at 21," said O'Neal, originally from Rochester, N.Y., who got his concealed weapon permit soon after turning 21 last August. "When you're 18, you do more wild things."

Theodore Hill, another Benedict student at the meeting, said he believes the bill could make the streets safer. The Bloomfield, N.J., native and criminal justice major said criminals may be less likely to rob or attack someone if they're unsure whether their potential victim is packing.

USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

"which includes hitting 70 percent of targets with a handgun on a course that ranges from 3 to 25 yards" 25 Yrd Line?

Also do see a dam thing about OC. I do agree that current Law needs amending with exception of OC anytime/anywhere and restaurant CC that serve alcohol. Other then that, I would say. Leave it the way it is. BUT definitely add OC to the amendment!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

4. Phew First hurdle cleared.

Wonder if it could be law by Christmas shopping time and all the BGs stalking the crowds.

Blog Entries
    Congrats to all those in South Carolina!! Nevada has a bill similar to this one in the works, but unfortunately the reps from Vegas will more than likely kill it.
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

6. Really wish they'd drop the business can ban thing. If they can't stop a seeing eye dog why should they be able to stop people from saving their lives in their businesses. At least make them liable if someone gets harmed by a criminal in their business or force them to provide armed security. Just a dream though, never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    "which includes hitting 70 percent of targets with a handgun on a course that ranges from 3 to 25 yards" 25 Yrd Line?

Also do see a dam thing about OC. I do agree that current Law needs amending with exception of OC anytime/anywhere and restaurant CC that serve alcohol. Other then that, I would say. Leave it the way it is. BUT definitely add OC to the amendment!
    Evidently you haven't read the bill then. Under it you will be able to OC or CC witout a permit. Permit will only be required for persons from out of state or for reciprocity when you travel. That is unless I have badly misread it or they changed it after I read what I thought was the latest version.

8. Will I now need a DL to drive a vehicle? Do not get me wrong, I am pro 2A. This is kinda a slap in NOW our faces to permit holders who have proved both academic as well as proficiency of a firearm. Privileges VS constitutional yes I know. Then 18 year olds should carry on that fact. 14 for that matter per our founding fathers. People, I can go on and on. A step forward? How about our neighboring state of Georgia, NO classes, apply for a permit and yet get OPEN carry. What a concept. Which I do when I cross the savannah with a non resident Pa license. Which brings up another issue here. Reciprocity. Will SC still offer the CWP license which is required by the way to obtain non resident carry rights? I know this is bill is a hot topic and in the beginning phases. It's just my opinion and maybe someone could shed some light for me?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Evidently you haven't read the bill then. Under it you will be able to OC or CC witout a permit. Permit will only be required for persons from out of state or for reciprocity when you travel. That is unless I have badly misread it or they changed it after I read what I thought was the latest version.
    Wouldn't be the first time I didn't read something thoroughly. I'm just adamant about OC in SC.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The title of this thread should be something more like "H.3292 Gutted of All Worthwhile Changes to Existing Law". Or maybe something simpler like "H.3293 Good As Dead".

I don't know what meeting these "reporters" attended today, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same one I did.

The subcommitee did vote unanimously to ammend H.3292. Unfortunately, the amendments have made it a feel good bill that will give us little or nothing. Backwards changes off the top of my head;

- Constitutional carry only for South Carolina citizens
    - Carry only for age 21 and up
    - No CWP recognition, we'll still be at the mercy of SLED to determine reciprocity (same as now)
    - No carry on college campus (same as now)
    - Additional restrictions as to where we can carry (same as now)
    - Must inform language added (same as now)
    - School parking lot carry will now require the gun is unloaded (a big step in the wrong direction)
    - Cannot consume alcohol with supper while carrying
    - No employer parking lot protection (we knew this was coming)

That's all I've got but remember, that's off the top of my head. There are more changes for the worse.

So... Somebody tell me again what we have to celebrate about. They've taken a bill with potential and turned it into *****.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

11. I'm not seeing anything about Open Carry in the bill. Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast