Georgian With Weapon in South Carolina? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georgian With Weapon in South Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    It looks like you thought wrong...
    And the situation is unfortunately not likely to change any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by enbarnes View Post
    Quick solution: spend $100 on a NH permit and get reciprocity.

No. SC only honors resident permits of the states that they honor.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLawyer View Post
    I have a Georgia Weapons Carry Permit. I periodically travel to North Carolina via South Carolina. From reviewing South Carolina's laws I understand I can have a loaded firearm in my vehicle in a glove compartment, console or the trunk while traveling. I don't routinely overnite in SC but, if that should happen, I see no way to legally get the weapon, loaded or otherwise, to/from my motel room, nor any way for me to legally possess the weapon in the motel room, unless the rented room is considered my home.

Can anyone shed light on this? It would seem to be much more objectionable from a law enforcement standpoint to require that firearms be left overnight in an unattended auto out in the parking lot.
    Now that you have an answer to your question, can you do the same for me?

I'll be traveling from SC to GA on business real soon.

Do you know how I need to carry in my vehicle?

Can I OC in GA; even though I'm a resident of SC and GA doesn't recognize my SC-CWP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Now that you have an answer to your question, can you do the same for me?

I'll be traveling from SC to GA on business real soon.

Do you know how I need to carry in my vehicle?

Can I OC in GA; even though I'm a resident of SC and GA doesn't recognize my SC-CWP?

Thanks
    I can answer that question... Or rather link you to something that can.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Georgia
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I beg to differ, unless carry an approved CWP in the State of Ga, NO LOADED GUN CAN BE TRANSPORTED WITHIN YOUR VECHILE. Please review Ga Law on this site or Google.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    I beg to differ, unless carry an approved CWP in the State of Ga, NO LOADED GUN CAN BE TRANSPORTED WITHIN YOUR VECHILE. Please review Ga Law on this site or Google.
    I'm no expert, but I'd say you need to beg in one hand and you know what in the other, then see which one fills up first. I seem to be able to come up with citations to support my answer.

Can you?

OCGA 16-11-126 on GeorgiaPacking.org
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Georgia
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

OK;
    This is what I get from the information links provided.

1. Car carry in you own personal vehicle is ok.
    2. OC is prohibited without a permit.
    3. Transport from car to motel room, ect must be done with an unloaded & empty magazine and in a closed & locked container.

I think I'll wait until I get my AZ nr permit. That way I should be fine; yes?

Hey guys as a SC CWP instructor you do have to have a permit to carry a weapon in your car as long as its stored in the glove box,console or the trunk or in the case of an SUV it has to be in a closed container secured by an integral fastener an the transported in the rear most luggage compartment of the vehicle. When you stay a t a hotel-motel you can carry it inside the room with no problem. As far as reciprocity the reason SC does not accept GA permits is the lack of training required to obtain a GA permit.In order to get a SC permit you have to attend an 8 hour training course and also do live fire training. And a NH permit is not accepted in SC although a SC resident can get a NH permit and carry in GA. Thanks Guys love this forum Randy....SC Gunrunner Firearms Training

I forgot to say that no matter what state you live in if you own property in SC you can get a SC permit the training class is still required but its just a matter of sending a form to the tax office in the county your property is in. I live in Oconee Co.SC and it borders Stephens Co. GA and i get a lot of people out of GA wanting their CWP's.....Randy

No Recip Here

There is no receprocity with Ga. and SC. SC requires a certain amount of training and live fire. Another thing I believe is the licensing situation through county sheriffs. I have heard that Ga, has about 250 counties and it is just a pain to keep track of. I get the NH permit. It costs $100 now(It was $25),but it gives me carry in Ga. and Pa.. My wife is from Pittsburgh,so I wanted to legally be able to carry there. The NH permit gives me carry in about 33 states.That isn't bad for $25 per year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast