Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass Roots Gun Rights' Board of Directors LOSES Law Suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    If we can just find away to get restaurant carry fixed.
    And campus carry too.

There are a lot of "things" that need to be fixed regarding South Carolina firearms laws. According to people who are a lot smarter than I am, in other words almost everyone, South Carolina has the most restrictive gun laws in the Southeast and in some cases the most restrictive in the country (no OC and melting point laws for example). I think that getting these laws changed would be fairly easy if prioritized and worked one at at time. I also think we'd have better luck as a group (activist, concerned, freedom loving gun owners) if we had a less adversarial relationship with our lawmakers. I agree in no compromise, but we don't have to be nasty about things. Speaking of which.

Dr Robert Butler. I think he had the distinction of being GRGR's most valuable single asset. His legal mind when applied to gun laws (obviously not corporate laws) was clear thinking and possibly even brilliant. On the other side of that coin was his ability to piss off legislators and members alike with his "my way or the highway" mindset. Because of this he was also GRGR's greatest liability. If we could get him to tone down his rhetoric and work only legal issues instead of also running an organization, I know we could make headway at the statehouse.

But that's just me. I'd like to hear what others have to say on the subject. In my opinion we need to get something going before our cause loses any momentum it once had.

Please discuss. (I always wanted to say that.)
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I think you are on the right track but I would like to make some comments. As far as restrictive gun laws other than OC "in public" SC has some of the most liberal laws in the nation. Now some base all their complaints on the OC restriction and it is a legitimate complaint but other than that and the resident permit issue I don't know of any state less restrictive. The melting point issue is almost a moot point as far as I can determine as any decent gun will pass that test.

About Mr. Butler. I totally agree that he was one of our greatest assets. However in my opinion he started to over-analyze every proposal to get it into his wording rather than even look at anything proposed by anyone else. I think you are absolutely correct that his MWOTHW mindset became an obsession with hm and his hatred and, in my opinion, jealousy of the NRA, being sure to try and get the last word in. Rather than working with anyone else he started to work against anyone who did not fall into lock step with him.

There is a difference in disagreeing with a legislaturer and turning them into an enemy, especially one with control and power. The "assination" of Rep. Viers was totally uncalled for in my opinion and killed any chance of the bill moving on or anyone else taking it up any time soon. I find in very telling how many legislatures were considered supporters at one time are now are the enemy and woring against gun-rights according to some people. As has been said that politics makes for strange bedfellows and if one is going to be successful in the long run of politics you will have to compromise along the way in the short term. MWOTHW will put you in the highway of politics leading away from the capital.

5. Say, HP:
    You know there is no "GRGR".
    The corporation is registered as "Grass Roots of South Carolina, Inc".
    See South Carolina Secretary of State:*Search Business Filings
    So, if you wanted to incorporate as Grass Roots Gun Rights, you could for a couple of hundred bucks.

I guess grass and guns don't mix.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I guess grass and guns don't mix.
    If anyone remembers the Jimmy Carter who ran the "businesses" at Pee Dee, SC you may remember how he was caught red handed in the middle of his marijuana field along with all kinds of other evidence but still managed to beat the rap. I saw him one night and asked where he had been. He said that he had just carried his lawn mower to his girlfriend's house. He said he might as well give it to her since they wouldn't let him grow grass anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    As far as restrictive gun laws other than OC "in public" SC has some of the most liberal laws in the nation.
    I'm glad you pointed that out. I believe that we have had a few "big" gun bills to get off track and ultimately butchered to the point not worth passing. Frankly, I think we should focus on one issue each year...first being restaurant carry. Just tack some language as an amendment on some must pass legislation and its done. That is how most of are rights have been usurped in the past. Take one small step at a time and eventually we will get there-turn the tables on them.
    SF

Wow! If you guys think we have liberal gun laws in South Carolina, you're either in denial or delusional. Here are some SC laws that infringe on our right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by both the United States and South Carolina Constitutions. The list includes but is not limited to;

- No open carry except in extremely limited circumstance, mostly on private property. SC is one of only 7 states (plus DC) without public OC.
    - SC requires a government permission slip to lawfully conceal carry.
    - And to get that CWP you have to submit to government mandated training.
    - No carry at all for those under 21.
    - No campus carry.
    - No carry in establishments that serve alcohol.
    - No carry in government buildings.
    - No "parking lot" law.
    - Vehicle carry only allowed in specific locations.
    - Melting point laws that discriminate against lower income individuals.
    - Regulations, licensing and equipment requirements above and beyond what is required by federal law.

Even our friends at the Brady Bunch seem to agree. While they call our gun laws lax (they call every state's gun laws lax), according to their 2010 state guns laws ratings, there are 30 states with less strict gun laws than South Carolina. That means there are only 19 states with more strict gun laws than SC. That puts us firmly in the top 50% of strictest state gun laws in the US.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...d_Rankings.pdf

The gun owners of South Carolina have a lot of work to do. But just like any other problem, we first have to admit to ourselves that the problem exists. And I'm not sure some of us on this forum have gotten to that point yet. Think about it.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

If OC and cc permits are your litmus test, I guess there really is no discussion. Not that I agree with the status quo, but look where we once were and where we are. What you hope for is what once was. Our rights were GRADUALLY usurped and we are on the path of GRADUALLY restoring them, with progress made. It will take continued strategy and perseverance.

I still say your "restrictive" analysis is incorrect. I've reviewed your list above and it is flawed.

Look at the quirks of neighboring states. I have.

My list above is exactly accurate. If it wasn't, you would have identified which items were incorrect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast