SC car carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SC car carry

SC car carry

I have a concealed carry permit. But I am unsure of how to carry in the car. It seems like anywhere on my person is hard to get too, as is in the glove box and center console.

But there is a perfect spot between the stick shift and the 4WD lever. Is it legal to keep the gun there? Or in one of those holsters that hang on the front of the seat?

3. I like my .357 snubby under my thigh. However, this would not be good with stick shift.

Have you considered a vehicle-mounted holster?

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Have you considered an in pants holster with it sitting in front of you with your shirt over it? I also feel uncomfortable with my weapon on my hip while sitting in the car. Someone recommended that I keep that one where it is and carry a smaller weapon up front for vehicle carry. As for the weapon being visible in the vehicle that would not be legal. It has to be concealed on your body or in a container such as the center console or glove box. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I contacted Jim from Self Defense CWP who replied with:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

I would fully expect the Officer to enforce this "word for word".....I will admit there IS some confusion on the street among the Peace Officers about the wording. However, this is EXACTLY what the current law is regarding your question.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I contacted Jim from Self Defense CWP who replied with:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

I would fully expect the Officer to enforce this "word for word".....I will admit there IS some confusion on the street among the Peace Officers about the wording. However, this is EXACTLY what the current law is regarding your question.
    So based on that even with a permt you can't pocket or IWB carry in a car?

Thats what I was worried about. That really sucks.

I believe that is the law for anyone not cwp holders. Cwp holders can have their weapon anywhere (concealed) that would be on or about their person e.g. Coat pocket on front seat, gun bag on front seat, backpack ect. Cwp holders have a duty to inform law enforcement if they are asked for Id that they are permit holders and if they are or are not armed. A smile and good attitude go a long way around here be polite let the officer know and all should be fine. Just don't keep it under the frontseat, is a no no.
    Last edited by homershoots; 07-09-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Additional info

CWP holders whilst driving can CC on their person OR in any of the above mention areas of their Vehicle. (glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk). A gym bag next to you is not legal and could be a punishable offense.
    I do agree with you Homershoots "A smile and good attitude go a long way" Treat a LEO as a professional and usually they'll reciprocate. KEY WORD: USUALLY
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

You must be right mappow I've looked on sleds website and can't find it. I just remember over and over my instructor saying on or about your person- I need to find my paperwork from back then. Anyway sorry y'all and op buy yourself a good holster I guess buddy. My new cars a stick with buckets so carrying in car is a pia. I was thinking m/b trying a cross draw I don't know.

Blog Entries
    An XD 5" rides on my hip by the seat belt (Im right handed so it works) Yes, it is a bit uncomfortable for a short while, but where its at if someone tries robbing me, my hand goes for the seatbelt and comes up armed. Adjust the cant of the holster forward a bit (paddle holsters work well for this) and you should have less of an issue
    My way is not better, it is just mine, your way is not better, it is just yours.
    Carry what your comfortable with, there is no "Supergun" Carry how your comfortable, open or concealed, so you have it with you when you need it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast