Restaurant carry in SC - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant carry in SC

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    1,700 permits by my company alone... we perform permit services for a fee. The services include forms completion, fingerprint services, photos, notary services, interview prep and legal representation should a problem arise. State-wide there are about 1.2 million CCW permit holders. NYS total population is roughly 19,378,102. NYC 2010 population was recorded at 8,175,133, very few have a pistol permit. Upstate population is about 11 million with 1.2 million CCW permits. Roughly 9% of the upstate population has a CCW permit.

Some nutjob has created a website with the name and address of every NY permit holder. He is from PA. NY residents might consider checking to see how much of their data is listed on the web.
    NY 2010 Pistol Permittees' Home Addresses -- Paladium.Net
    My father and brother are both on the list, along with their home address. This is one reason I do not use my home address for anything. My DL and CWP both have a UPS mailbox address.

as of right now, you CAN carry your concealed weapon into a reesturant that serves alcholic beverages AS LONG as YOU are not drinking alchol.

Since I got my SC CWP, I've been looking at every door to every business that I go to to see if they have posted signs. A movie theater near me has a sign (The correct and SC Legal sign) on the side of the boxoffice. I infomed the manager that the sign was in the incorrect spot. he said, "The company made me post the sign, but i feel that if patron's feel safer carrying, then they should be allowed to carry."

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    I believe that you are incorrect. In the SC code it clearly states that if you carry a concealed weapon at establishments that sell alcohol for on site consumption then you are in violation. Look for where the alcohol regulations are. I am not sitting on my regular laptop and it is harder to do from my iPad. Trust me, i only wish we could carry in restaurants that sell alcohol for on site consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by wwalker1187 View Post
    as of right now, you CAN carry your concealed weapon into a reesturant that serves alcholic beverages AS LONG as YOU are not drinking alchol.

Since I got my SC CWP, I've been looking at every door to every business that I go to to see if they have posted signs. A movie theater near me has a sign (The correct and SC Legal sign) on the side of the boxoffice. I infomed the manager that the sign was in the incorrect spot. he said, "The company made me post the sign, but i feel that if patron's feel safer carrying, then they should be allowed to carry."

Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    I believe that you are incorrect. In the SC code it clearly states that if you carry a concealed weapon at establishments that sell alcohol for on site consumption then you are in violation. Look for where the alcohol regulations are. I am not sitting on my regular laptop and it is harder to do from my iPad. Trust me, i only wish we could carry in restaurants that sell alcohol for on site consumption.
    You are correct. No carrying in a resturant that sell alcohol for consumption. there need not be a sign because you should know it already. Carry in a resturant serving alcohol and you'll lose permit if someone see's you.

KK

I am home now and found the actual code. They really need to add this to the subsection that tells where you can and cannot carry.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16 11 330 and 16 23 460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    You are correct. No carrying in a resturant that sell alcohol for consumption. there need not be a sign because you should know it already. Carry in a resturant serving alcohol and you'll lose permit if someone see's you.

KK

I guess I don't understand how someone could sit through a CWP class and still think you can carry into a resturant that serves alcohol.

That's one of the biggest pet peeve's I know of for CWP holders.

KK

In our class the instructor outlined the section in the SC code that specifically speaks to where you can and cannot carry a concealed weapon. He did not highlight the one I posted above. I did not realize this until someone brought it to my attention and I looked it up for myself. I wonder if enough businesses realized that they are losing revenue because of this law if they would lobby to have it changed. As I understand it alcohol sales has a huge markup and therefore brings a lot of profits to the restaurants and that is why they sell it. I also believe that there should be a stipulation that says if you carry concealed that you should not be drinking. That does not mean that someone in your party could not be carrying concealed and the rest of you have a drink. There has to be a common sense compromise to this. Other states allow it such as in Virginia.

There is a bill before the house now, from what I understand, that will allow carry in resturants. From what I understand, it also has some pretty ridiculous other stuff and it will never pass.

I have little time to pursue politics so I never looked it up to see what it says but you're right, the resturant owners should be made more aware of this idiotic law and maybe they could change it.

I would like to say that I refuse to go into all business's that don't allow carry but I still go into resturants because they themselves are not restricting CC, and I like nice resturants:):)

I hate, the whole time I'm in the resturant, thinking about gun in the car and an empty holster on my side. It really grates on me.

KK

I go to Kingstreet Grill between 11am and 4 pm for their half price burgers and I have to disarm myself. I guess the motivation to save a buck overrides my common sense to carry. For the most part, if the restaurant sells alcohol I just do not go in. On another note, I have found that most restaurant owners have no clue about the concealed carry laws. I guess when they are talking to SLED about their beer and wine and alcohol licenses they never cover that section. Maybe it is just deemed unimportant. Maybe having some restaurants robbed and people hurt will have to happen before they take notice.

OK, here is my problem with all this restaurant and alcohol conversation; On the SLED website and SC law website it has I believe 10 places where you are restricted to carry. None of these are restaurants that serve alcohol. The problem arises with this: SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

This section is NOT directed at concealed carry. The 2 words UNLAWFULLY CARRYING is the key. If it is not restricted under the CWP then it is not unlawful. The law would only restrict those not allowed to carry by SC law.

Less you believe this is a self serving argument I checked on the validity of this a while ago and why Grass Roots was not doing something about it. At that time Grass Roots informed me that they had the bill pulled because with careful scrutiny it was OK to carry. Then someone stupid asked for an Attorney General's opinion and he stated you could not carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. His opinion but NOT law.

I am not brave enough to be the test case. BTW . . . For the poster that hates Grass Roots, this is NOT an opening to rage please save it for another thread.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast