South Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

you no longer have to include a picture they pull it from your drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by agentduder View Post
    you no longer have to include a picture they pull it from your drivers license.
    They have been pulling the picture form your DL for quite a while but you still had to submit a recent picture.

I just looked over the new application and am not sure that I am reading it correctly! From what I can tell you no longer have to supply a certificate from the CWP instructor or a listing of arrests.

Basically you just fill out the form and include the Instructor's certification number, a date of training, make a copy of your DL and get fingerprinted.

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the fingerprint cards.

Be sure to include a money order or cashier's check. NO personal checks or cash.

They have made a bunch of changes lately.

When I took the class they made a color photocopy of our driver's license and had a notary notarize it and that took care of the residency and photograph part of the application. Personally, I would go that route rather than just sending a copy just to avoid any delays to an already lengthy process.

You supply the certificate as proof that you've taken the course within the three year timeframe.

I really wish they would allow true OC.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I really wish they would allow true OC.
    Don't hold your breath on that. Actually, and I know it will rub some wrong, I would prefer the Tenn. type deal where a permit allows either OC or CC. I know too many people that would love to walk around with a gun that I would feel much better about them not doing it. However that is a totally different arguement.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Hello from Johns Island SC. I am curious to see if anyone knows of where I could attend a CWP class so I can start the process of getting the permit. I know of several people at my company that want to do it but it seems that finding an instructor that is available to hold a class is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    Hello from Johns Island SC. I am curious to see if anyone knows of where I could attend a CWP class so I can start the process of getting the permit. I know of several people at my company that want to do it but it seems that finding an instructor that is available to hold a class is very difficult.
    ATP Guns in Summerville/Ladson is probably the more expensive but they do it all, no going to PD to get fingerprinting done. A little bit of a haul from John's Island. ATP Gunshop & Range

Trader's World in North Charleston does it on Saturdays. Very basic, classroom & qualification testing, you bring your paperwork, etc. but fingerprinting needs to be done elsewhere. Trader World, 7163 Cross County Rd
    North Charleston, SC 29418, (843) 552-5964

There are some local trainers that will do groups, don't have the contact information off hand. They'll do the training but you need to have a place to qualify, some require you to go to their place to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Don't hold your breath on that. Actually, and I know it will rub some wrong, I would prefer the Tenn. type deal where a permit allows either OC or CC. I know too many people that would love to walk around with a gun that I would feel much better about them not doing it. However that is a totally different arguement.
    I'm from TN and would like to see SC adopt a similar policy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefpropellerhead View Post
    Wish I could help but I'm up in the Myrtle Beach part of the state and don't know much about your area. Good luck with finding the class!

11. if you're still looking for a place to take a class, try BELT training. bit of a drive, but all inclusive - they have someone there to print you, they send it all off for you, and include a home cooked awesome lunch! it is close to the I-95 and hwy 15 intersection. 10000% worth it. www.belttraining.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast