Anyone know about Thad Viers' and his push to Congress - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about Thad Viers' and his push to Congress

I'm sure they will do as always (NOTHING)

If you think, any politician is looking out for you and me...You need to get a medical checkup.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    here's how I saw and read the mess from last year.... seems there was a bill introduced and it had a few problems with it... mainly because the folks that write these don't seem to understand it is a good idea to run the wording by someone who understands the law... then viers decided to 'fix' the bill with some amendments and it actually made the bill worse... basically so that no non resident could carry in S.C. and some other problems. Robert Butler attempted to give advise and help with both versions and Viers took offense... he actually claimed he had fixed the problem and posted the changes on the web but in fact he had not done this officially in the committee... at the same time he did the same thing he had done in the past and seems he's done again. he called up Robert Butler and left a threatening message on his voice mail....
    I think you are basically correct on this but there was a lot more to the whole mess, especially about the original bill. Without looking up the original bill I can't say for sure but I seem to remember that it also had the problem with out of state residents carrying, That problem was just like the Viers version and is how it wound up in the revision. From there things escalated and ended up very ugly and we know the result. It was not a one person screw-up but several people did a very poor job of handling it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    I'm sure they will do as always (NOTHING)

If you think, any politician is looking out for you and me...You need to get a medical checkup.
    You mean a mental checkup ? I'm way too far gone for that

I mean IF it comes back up does the whole process start over again from scratch or does the last revision presented go back up as if it was already scheduled to be heard ?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    You mean a mental checkup ? I'm way too far gone for that

I mean IF it comes back up does the whole process start over again from scratch or does the last revision presented go back up as if it was already scheduled to be heard ?
    I know what you mean about too far gone for the mental checkup.

The original bill is still in committee. The only action on it was that a sub-committee came up with a revision to present to the full committee so in reality there has been no real progress on it. The sub-committee's proposal was presented to the full committee but no action was taken. It is now up to the Chairman of the Committee to decide what to do. The sub-committee (of which Viers was chairman) can go back and rework the proposal, he can come up with his own proposal or a new sub-committee could be appointed. All of this is dependent on the Full Committee Chair being agreeable to it and allowing them to present their findings. If the Chair agrees to it then the sub-committee or Viers or possibly another committee member could propose a new version of the bill. It would then be presented to the full committee for a vote and then sent to the full House to be placed on the calendar.

In short it is still just as it was originally, residing in the hands of the Judicial Committee and subject to the whims of the Committee Chair. Nothing is scheduled and nothing has been voted on other than in the sub-committee who refused to reconsider it when asked to by Viers.

Is there a list of Pro-2A/RKBA State House and Senators?

I saw a lot of support for the Bill.
    I felt it was a step in the right direction.

Sick and tired of the additional penalty for "unlawfully" carrying in a places that serves alcohol beverages for consumption discussions and too poor to challenge it in court. The bill ended that issue.

Hopefully it wasn't Thad's ruse for the US Congress.

7. Thanks for the info. Clears it up nicely.

One of the things I have found that contributes so much to the anger and contempt against certain legislators is the lack of understanding on how things work and how a bill actually becomes law. I do not fully understand or know all of the rules and "tricks" but I have found that I seem to know much more than the average person. I also know that no bill will become law without a lot of "back-scratching" and someone in power (Speaker, Committee Chair etc.) either being in favor of it or expecting something in return. I have often said that to become a successful politician you basically have to become a prostitute and sell yourself and many of your ideals out. Otherwise you are going to remain a background politician with the "third party" tag and no real power in Congress.

I had a boss that once said about a certain State Senator that had been in power for about 30 years; "If he has been in the Senate for 30 years and hasn't stolen enough to retire in that length of time to be rich he is too dumb to represent me". Or as another fellow said when asked why they kept re-electing that crook. "Look, You know he is a crook, I know he is a crook, Everybody knows he is a crook, but He is Our Crook".

Speaking of Strom Thurmond, who I respected by the way, I found out recently that he for some reason bought a bunch of useless land in Northern Aiken County back in the early 60's.... seems a few years later I-20 went right though the middle of it.

you are right, unfortunately, that's how it works.... seems a lot of the pro gun senators will sponsor or put their names on a bill and then help kill it in committee.

They don't work for us! They never have!
    It's all about what they can get for themselves!

I wasn't talking about Strom but he was an example. For most politicians it isn't all about themselves but it is part of it. For a few it is for personal benefit and nothing about the people that elect them however they usually don't last too long. As with the comment about "He is out crook" most people can overlook things if he does a good job of representing the people who elect him. To me the best comparison would be Strom vs. John Edwards. That is one politician that I really can't describe my contempt for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast