Denied purchase in Rock Hill SC - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denied purchase in Rock Hill SC

Thanks for your advice, I'll do what you suggest. I see you are from PA. I was raised in Lancaster County. Is that in your neck of the woods? I just baked a couple of Shoo Fly Pies and you may just know what that is :-)

I think the best piece of advice someone could give you, and not because that someone is me, is to not discuss this subject on a publically accessable forum with your name and location attached to it. Especially just asking the question if someone else can do the transfer for you or mentioning the gun(s) that you purchased in the past which may be admission of a felony.

Sometimes the best thing you can say is nothing at all. I think this may be one of those times.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Do you have any domestic violence convictions in your past? Even a "minor" domestic violence conviction will bar you for life.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

My experance

I too had a past receving stolen property !
    1983 found out around 1995 here in Columbia when I went to buy 10guage it was still on my file, so last year lawyer friend called state of violation they said it was lost no such person in system since changing to computers, I got my cwp in S.C. Have since gotten my new handgun all I did was show my cwp card, waited 3 days,picked up my H&K 40 !
    So maybe this my shine a new light

Am I to understand I can get a CWP without going thru NICS and then I couold go back and purchase my handgun, again without NCIS involvement?

I've never had any domestic violence charges or anything like that. I guess I'm freaking out because I never expected I'd be denied. At the time I purchased my earlier handguns there was no NICS involvement. I just went into the store, picked out what I wanted, shoed my drivers license to clerk - he checks me out with state, nadda, paid and that was it. This was a while back and I never had a problem.

This last transaction really blindsided me, things have changed so much.

No, Your CWP application goes through more scrutiny than your instant background check. I guess there is that possibility that the extra scrutiny your CWP app goes thru may have found out the real truth.

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gensemer View Post
    Am I to understand I can get a CWP without going thru NICS and then I couold go back and purchase my handgun, again without NCIS involvement?

I've never had any domestic violence charges or anything like that. I guess I'm freaking out because I never expected I'd be denied. At the time I purchased my earlier handguns there was no NICS involvement. I just went into the store, picked out what I wanted, shoed my drivers license to clerk - he checks me out with state, nadda, paid and that was it. This was a while back and I never had a problem.

This last transaction really blindsided me, things have changed so much.

You can always default to buying face to face through private transactions.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    You can always default to buying face to face through private transactions.....
    That would be illegal. If you are restricted from buying a gun from a legitimate dealer, you are restricted from buying a gun period.

Not telling you what to do, just making it clear before you think about doing it.

KK

You have to remember that when they call in to NICS that they are on an automated system that just tells the business you are at yes or no. When you file your appeal with NISC you are dealing with the Federal govt and a live person. If you have bought guns since your conviction and now are having a problem it could be simply because of a glitch in their system like it was with me. I had gotten multiple Permits to Acquire and then all of a sudden 2 years ago I was denied and to my knowledge nothing had changed on my part. Well after going through all the steps with NICS which mainly was a waiting game on my part. They agreed they made the mistake and I was allowed to get my Last permit to acquire prior to getting my CCW Permit. I still have the letter from NICS stating that it was an error on their part and I can purchase all weapons just in case they have another mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    That would be illegal. If you are restricted from buying a gun from a legitimate dealer, you are restricted from buying a gun period.

Not telling you what to do, just making it clear before you think about doing it.

KK
    The OP says he was pardoned. It sounds like he's experiencing a red tape SNAFU. If what he says is correct he's not a prohibited person and it would be legal for him to buy face to face. He would only be eliminating the roadblock wrongly imposed on him.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast