Denied purchase in Rock Hill SC
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denied purchase in Rock Hill SC

Denied purchase in Rock Hill SC

First off, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me or offer constructive advice.
    Earlier this month I bid on an online auction and placed the winning bid for a Browning Buckmark 22. The Arizona auction house sent the weapon to The Sportsman Shop (FLR) and I went into pick up yesterday, filled out a Form and the dealer called NCIS and I was denied. The only thing I know of happened 47 years ago when I was convicted of car theft and served a 9 month sentence in a Federal Prison, was released on probation and filed for and received a complete pardon from State of Alabama restoring my civil and political rights in 1965. Now this was embarrassing to say the least, now I am a retired Grandfather with a clean record with 4 children and haven't even thought of this for forty some years. All this is leading to what must I do to purchase my weapon? I understand there is an appeal process: I was given an NTN # and have electronically requested the reason for denial, so where do I go from here to stand any chance of a successful resolution? This just doesn't seem right especially when I have purchased handguns in the past (15 years ago)
    Is this 47 year old conviction enough to deny me forever even with my pardon? I am beyond frustrated and have clue what do do. Please help me if you can?
    Also, worse case, what happens to the firearm I bought and paid for if I cannot be approved? Alternatively, could one of my children (adults) legally be approved and take possession? Thank you

3. You need to get the reason for denial before you start what if'ng! Get the reason and post that. More can be said after that...I'm just sayin
    I don't necessarily mean everything I say, I just do it to see the [email protected]@K on your face - HueMan 1998

If it were actually a 'pardon', I don't see why a clarification and review of your record wouldn't put you back on track.

When they do those NICS checks, any little glitch, no matter how insignificant, you are denied.

Keep the faith and just do the paperwork before you start freaking out.

As far as having someone else receive the weapon, I think that would be looked upon as a straw sale and that would be illegal. I'm not a lawyer but before you start asking the Gun Shop owner for a way around the situation, read the law and determine how it affects your prediciment.

KK

5. I'm not for certain but you may want to look further into it, but to my understanding even with a pardon or expungement at the state level there is still a federal record, due to the fact that a state judge cannot order an expungement or destruction of records at a federal level, but like I said look further

It is an official Pardon granted by the State of Alabama. Somehow I;ve managed to keep up with it locked in my safe. It's actually has a record number with the State seal. I wonder why the pardon did not appear during my background check with it being official and all seems it would have nullified my conviction?

7. Right you keep saying state , but there us a federal record of your crime

I had a problem almost 2 years ago when I was going to get my permit to acquire handguns and was denied due to an alleged Psych confinement that never happened. I got the NTN # from the Sheriff and was told by the local sheriff to call the FBI. The number I got for NICS was 1-877-324-6427 and talk to someone there and they might tell you why you were denied, but I am not sure as I found out why from the Sheriff when I talked to them about my denial. They will mail you out a Fingerprint card that you can take to your local Police Dept to get your finger prints done. You send the fingerprint card in with an appeal letter to NICS Section of the FBI. It takes 4-6 months to get the appeal results back and they will state if you are able to purchase the weapon or not. If they come back with an unfavorable you will have to deal with the place you bought it from or the place who is holding it to find out your options. I hope this helps a little.

Good luck,
    Eric

9. And at the same time if all records were destroyed there is no record of the expungement or pardon except for your personal copy , which is why its important that you maintain control of it

My conviction was Federal - Interstate Transportation of a Stolen Vehicle. After I served 9 months I was released on 3 year probation to Alabama but I received my pardon after only 6 months on probation. It clearly states my civil and political rights were restored. Since I've voted in federal elections for the past 44 years, served on Federal juries and had business dealings with the federal government it would would seem my pardon covered both state and federal?

Thank goodness I kept the original copy in safe along with DD214 and other valuable docs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast