Gun in car w/ SC CWP - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun in car w/ SC CWP

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Solution is simple.... include in the tupperware or what ever container you are using... a glove. Just a cheap simple cotton glove and you have met the wording of the law because the handgun is being kept in the "glove box."

Hows that for internet lawyering?
    How's about a gun in a brown paper bag INSIDE the said "tupperware". :invision:

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Actually the closed container was defined by the AG about 25 years ago and as far as I know still followed. The local Captain of the HIghway Patrol spoke at our safety meeting many years ago and said that the closed container was a latched satchel. ....
    With all due respect, for a great while, promotions within the Patrol were made... as with many agencies at the time... on cronieism... and not so long ago in this great state appointments to SLED and the Patrol were made by Democrats who feared that passing a more available CCW would lead to "streets filled with blood"... an actual quote that I heard from a SLED Agent who was sitting in the same Homicide Investigation class as I was the day that the "new" CCW law was enacted.

In those days, (these, too :( ) "Bosses" of any Agency would have done and said whatever they could to dissuade civilians from carrying in their vehicle, and to make a firearm more difficult to retrieve would have been the goal. These days, I'd be surprised if you got any grief from the average Cop over carrying in a zippered gun rug... well, maybe if they had an agenda.:icon_twisted:

A container is a container, IMHO.:bigsmile:
    **DumbAss Alert**: Global Warming is a SCAM, brought to you by a few activist scientists and a consensus of Politicians who you should know better than to trust.

"You have no idea how desperate you will be not to be ‘over'... You think you do, but you can't possibly know... until you're there..." ~ (paraphrased) Wm Shatner as "Denny Crane, Boston Legal"

"To disarm the people is the best way to enslave them..."~George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    With all due respect, for a great while, promotions within the Patrol were made... as with many agencies at the time... on cronieism... and not so long ago in this great state appointments to SLED and the Patrol were made by Democrats who feared that passing a more available CCW would lead to "streets filled with blood"... an actual quote that I heard from a SLED Agent who was sitting in the same Homicide Investigation class as I was the day that the "new" CCW law was enacted.

In those days, (these, too :( ) "Bosses" of any Agency would have done and said whatever they could to dissuade civilians from carrying in their vehicle, and to make a firearm more difficult to retrieve would have been the goal. These days, I'd be surprised if you got any grief from the average Cop over carrying in a zippered gun rug... well, maybe if they had an agenda.:icon_twisted:

A container is a container, IMHO.:bigsmile:
    The zippered gun rug was exactly what Capt. (can't remember his name) was talking about. The big point was that whatever container was used it did not have to be locked with a key. All of this is like the problem with a certain county refusing to allow a CWP holder the same rights as a non CWP holder resulting in the law specifically stating that you can carry on or about your person in a car with a CWP.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Makes as much sense as a lot of things I read on the Internet. :06::bicycle:
    Oh, so true FN1910,

We can all agree on something but it won't matter a twitch when you are standing in front of a judge and have already spent a couple of grand on the lawyer standing beside you.

I have a friend who lives in Colorado, (moved from California) who claims the U.S. government is not real... that it no longer exist...he doesn't have to pay taxes because the IRS is an illegal agency, his dog doesn't have to be on a leash when he walks it because he also doesn't recgonaize the local government....

far be it for me to call him a nut job... my point is all his arguements and 'facts' can look good when you are sitting around discussing them over a beer...but when they haul your ass in front of a judge after you've spent the last 23 hours in a cell with the scum of the earth... the judge, a paid employee of said fake government, ain't gonna be kind.

I hate to say it; these days,even if you are a sheep dog, prepared to protect you and your own at any cost... or even if you are a wolf... looking for sheep, it is best to go camoflauged as a sheep.

Hiya!

I'm going to be heading for South Carolina Saturday. Be there a little over a week. I've been following this thread and, sorry to say, I find it a little confusing. Let me ask a simple question and see if I can clear it up in my head...

I currently reside in New Jersey. I have a Florida Non-Res CCW. That's all I have. I gather from what I've read here that I -AM- allowed to carry a loaded pistol in the center console of my car - which is a closed container that closes with a latch - but I am -NOT- permitted to carry, open or concealed, on my person while walking around.

...that about it?

Once I move (please God that I live long enough and have it happen soon enough that I can actually enjoy it!) I'll be securing a SC CCW, but I can't afford the time to take the class just yet. Maybe soon.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ektarr; 06-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Hiya!

I'm going to be heading for South Carolina Saturday. Be there a little over a week. I've been following this thread and, sorry to say, I find it a little confusing. Let me ask a simple question and see if I can clear it up in my head...

I currently reside in New Jersey. I have a Florida Non-Res CCW. That's all I have. I gather from what I've read here that I -AM- allowed to carry a loaded pistol in the center console of my car - which is a closed container that closes with a latch - but I am -NOT- permitted to carry, open or concealed, on my person while walking around.

...that about it?

Once I move (please God that I live long enough and have it happen soon enough that I can actually enjoy it!) I'll be securing a SC CCW, but I can't afford the time to take the class just yet. Maybe soon.

Thanks in advance.
    Correct.

1. Console or glove compartment is fine.
    2. No walking around with one. (Openly is verboten, concealed with permit)
    3. No reciprocity with FL yet and when it comes only for FL residents (No non-resident)
    4. Loophole - You can carry on your person while on the way to and from hunting or fishing if you have a hunting/fishing license.:amuse:

FN: GREAT!! Thanks! Now...one more leeetle clarification . . .

#4: I'm leaving the car and heading for the hotel room . . .What're my options?
    Can I "carry" it into the room?
    Can I HAVE it in the room??
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

You are allowed to carry the firearm to your residence, in this case the hotel, and you are allowed to keep it there with you in the room.

Rp in SC is correct... you are allowed to carry the pistol concealed to and from your hotel room... and keep it loaded and where ever you like in that room... even wear it open.

Not that it matters to most visitors but also be aware that say you came to visit me... if I give you permission you could carry either open or concealed while on or inside my property...

It would be my understanding that "on or about your person" is the key phrase, as to what a CCWP person can do with a firearm in their car. What exactly is the "about your person" part actually mean? "On your person" is fairly obvious. Locked up in your car trunk, console, etc is also obvious. But what exactly is "about"? I submit that if the firearm is under a ball cap on the seat next to you or under your seat and you are a CCWP holder, the firearm is "about" you and it is allowed. Comments please. Am I wrong?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast