Gun in car w/ SC CWP - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun in car w/ SC CWP

An integral fastener is where the compartment has a latch that keeps the compartment closed. It doesn't require a lock. Just some way to keep it closed.

It can only be in a console, glove box or trunk and doesn't have to be locked. Firearms can be loaded...one in the chamber and ready to go! There's legislation in work to allow under seat carry in a vehicle.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

"integral fastener" = A device that is part of the case that will hold it closed. A zipper, a latch, a catch, a ribbon if it is sewed on, a string if it is permanently attaqched to the case, a spring that keeps it closed. No the glove box or console do not have to be locked, only that something (a spring) will hold them closed. I don't think gravity to keep your console lid closed counts as an intergral fastener but it could be argued otherwise.

I believe that many of you have made it clear that you all agree that a glove box or the console ARE legitimate places to store a firearm and I heartily concur. IMO, there is no question that is what the law allows and all this discussion is just "picking at the bones" of the wording. If you REALLY want peace of mind on this issue just CC as you would on the street. If need be, adjust your CC holster to accomodate sitting in the car or purchase a holster that is designed for same. Wallah!!!--issue settled.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I believe that many of you have made it clear that you all agree that a glove box or the console ARE legitimate places to store a firearm and I heartily concur. IMO, there is no question that is what the law allows and all this discussion is just "picking at the bones" of the wording. If you REALLY want peace of mind on this issue just CC as you would on the street. If need be, adjust your CC holster to accomodate sitting in the car or purchase a holster that is designed for same. Wallah!!!--issue settled.
    A few years ago a certain county in SC decided that if you had a CWP then your guns had to be carried on you and console carry was not an option. Several people were charged with a violation of handgun laws by having a gun in their glovebox or console after getting a CWP. I don't know which county is was other than I heard it was somewhere in the upstate and I don't know how many were charged or waht they were charged with exactly. However the state legislature made the change to be sure that eitehr way was fine. It was an unneeded change as eveyone but this one agency knew it already.

I hope I am not repeating someone but reading all the posts was getting tiresome. It is really simple. . . The law wants a "2 step" procedure. 1. Open container 2. Remove weapon. This is why the under the seat or door slot would not work. I believe the duct taped bag would qualify as well as tuperware.

7. I don't feel like carrying in the unlocked console is too restrictive. Luckily my pickup has a console.
    When my CWP gets here I will have one on me and another in the console. I guess that is enough.
    Maybe I need another in the glove compartment. The more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I hope I am not repeating someone but reading all the posts was getting tiresome. It is really simple. . . The law wants a "2 step" procedure. 1. Open container 2. Remove weapon. This is why the under the seat or door slot would not work. I believe the duct taped bag would qualify as well as tuperware.
    Duct taped bag will not work. That would not be an integral fastener. The two step deal is an old "wives" tale or whatever you want to call it that has neve applied in SC at least in the last 30 years. Some states do have the x-step rule but no SC. An integral fastener is one that is part of the case. Tupperware may work as ithe fastening part is actuallly part of the product snce you have to burp it.

I don't think it would meet the 'letter of the law' because the tuperware is not a part of the vehicle like the center console or glove box is.

Keep in mind one difference between CC while driving and having the handgun in either compartment. I the weapon is on or about your person then if stopped by an LEO you must declare it. If the only weapon is in either of the compartments then you are not CCing and you don't have to let the LEO know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I don't think it would meet the 'letter of the law' because the tuperware is not a part of the vehicle like the center console or glove box is.
    You're confusing two different acceptable locations. The closed container can be a gym bag, brief case, suit case, and as we suspect in this thread, possibly a tupperware container, as long as they have an integral fastener. These containers must be stowed in the cargo compartment. None of these are related to the glove box or center console.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

wolfhunter Guest
    Tupperware Container? Let's be honest. That's the box the Glock originally came in.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast