Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regal Cinema - No Concealed Weapons Sign (Cherrydale)

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering the same thing regarding the signs. I fully believe in a business being able to post if they do not want guns on their property just as I have the right to patronize other businesses.

I went to the Regal theater at Sandhill (Columbia) today. We had bought our tickets online and printed them out at home. When we got to the theater I did not see any signs posted on the doors. As we were leaving, I noticed the proper signage on the ticket booth. I don't know about the height requirement, but the sign itself was correct. I did not see this sign when we got to the theater because we bypassed the ticket booth by printing our tickets out at home.

I figure the worst they could have done was ask me to leave, which I would have done. But I am curious if the sign carries the weight of the law since it wasn't ON the doors and was not visible if you didn't go to the ticket booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Berta View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I was wondering the same thing regarding the signs. I fully believe in a business being able to post if they do not want guns on their property just as I have the right to patronize other businesses.

I went to the Regal theater at Sandhill (Columbia) today. We had bought our tickets online and printed them out at home. When we got to the theater I did not see any signs posted on the doors. As we were leaving, I noticed the proper signage on the ticket booth. I don't know about the height requirement, but the sign itself was correct. I did not see this sign when we got to the theater because we bypassed the ticket booth by printing our tickets out at home.

I figure the worst they could have done was ask me to leave, which I would have done. But I am curious if the sign carries the weight of the law since it wasn't ON the doors and was not visible if you didn't go to the ticket booth.
    As you have identified, the location of the signs at the Sandhill theater do not comply with 23-31-235. Although I haven't measured them, I have seen them up close (I even have a picture) and I don't think they meet the size requirements either. Therefore they DO NOT carry the weight of (unconstitutional) law. That being said, to be legal, signage does not have to be on the doors...

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

4. Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    As you have identified, the location of the signs at the Sandhill theater do not comply with 23-31-235. Although I haven't measured them, I have seen them up close (I even have a picture) and I don't think they meet the size requirements either. Therefore they DO NOT carry the weight of (unconstitutional) law. That being said, to be legal, signage does not have to be on the doors...

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile
    Now I'm just going to play a good defense attorney here I hope, but my first thing is, none of the pictured signs look like a 7 inch circle. I just measured on a tape measure, and the distance from my thumb to my pinky finger is exactly 7 1/2". So I'm checking mine out next time. But the main thing I wanted to point out is that the law says that the diagonal line must be exactly 45 degrees to the horizontal. That means if you hold a level up to the window, the diagonal line must be 45 degrees. What are the odds of both the manufacture of the sticker and the person placing it on the door having it at exactly 45 degrees. Not too good!

Whether the sign is legal or not, it doesn't change the fact that they don't want you carrying there. Spend your money somewhere else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

6. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Whether the sign is legal or not, it doesn't change the fact that they don't want you carrying there. Spend your money somewhere else.

Nah, it's between them and 1 other theater here in Anderson. I prefer the other, for more than just their view on guns, but sometimes the Regal has better show times and it's way less crowded. I'd rather go against their wishes if I no they hold no legal weight rather than putting myself through the inconvenience of having to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post

I agree with you and I do respect a businesses right to ban guns from their place. My point is, I did not go to the box office to buy tickets since I had printed them out at home. I looked around at the doors as I was walking in and did not see the sign. I didn't see it until AFTER I had left the theater.

8. I don't want to get into a constitutionality debate about guns laws, because it is my firm belief that any and all gun laws beyond the 2nd amendment should be done away with...but I think that any state that requires you to quality at the range to be able to carry should at least make it so that no sign carries the weight of law, and that the store themselves must verbally and personally ask you to leave before it carries any legal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    The sign is certainly legal as there is no law against hanging a sign with a picture of a gun on it. The question is, does it have the force of law. If you never see the sign, it cannot possibly be in compliance with the law, and if you don't see it, you don't know to spend your money elsewhere.

The entire concept of having a statute that defines a sign, and makes the penalty for missing it $1000 or a year in jail is beyond stupid. We need to get rid of the entire section.

10. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    The sign is certainly legal as there is no law against hanging a sign with a picture of a gun on it. The question is, does it have the force of law. If you never see the sign, it cannot possibly be in compliance with the law, and if you don't see it, you don't know to spend your money elsewhere.

The entire concept of having a statute that defines a sign, and makes the penalty for missing it $1000 or a year in jail is beyond stupid. We need to get rid of the entire section.
    What I imagine happened is that a democrat in either the house or the senate proposed a bill to add the sign regulations to the fun laws. The bill must have had enough support that they knew it was going to pass, so someone on our side decided they were going to amend it to be so specific that the majority of signs would not pass (you know, kinda like Mr. Reese kept trying to amend the restaurant carry bill to the point that virtually no one would be able to carry). That's what I think happened.

Anderson mall posted signs at all of the mall entrances, but they are nowhere close to legal. They are only the circular with a gun and line through it. They don't contain any wording at all. But even if the sign was legal, it wouldn't matter because they are not posted at every possible entrance. For example, you can get into the mall by going through Books-a-million, but there is no sign on their door, or the door going from there into the mall. So I still carry in their, what little I go. Every time I have to go to that God forsaken place I feel like I'm carrying the gun more for myself, in case I need to put myself out of my own misery...

Actually, what I believe happened was that it was added when SC became shall issue in 1996 to get some votes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast