Nothing to do with guns...traffic question - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nothing to do with guns...traffic question

1. Quote Originally Posted by David Mitchell View Post
    Without wanting to get into the pissing match going on here, the lesson to take out of it is that sometimes the "good guys" don't do the right thing and no matter what our personal opinions are; as law abiding gun owners it is our responsibility to do the right thing (and the legal thing) no matter what our personal interpretation of what the law should be.
    Eh...I mean I'm not trying to get into an argument either, and I think you didn't mean it the way most here might take it, but I don't agree with that either. The right thing and how I think it should be are sometimes mutually exclusive from the legal thing. If they ban guns, which should we go by...the right thing or the legal thing?

Quote Originally Posted by David Mitchell View Post
    Without wanting to get into the pissing match going on here, the lesson to take out of it is that sometimes the "good guys" don't do the right thing and no matter what our personal opinions are; as law abiding gun owners it is our responsibility to do the right thing (and the legal thing) no matter what our personal interpretation of what the law should be.
    If our forefathers were only worried about doing what is legal and not what's right, we'd all be talking with a funny accent and driving on the wrong side of the road right now. And we wouldn't have any guns. When I took my enlistment oath 36 years ago, I swore to uphold the Constitution, not some law(s) drafted and enacted by petty tyrants...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

I went to high school in a small town in GA. We had a 4-lane that went through town, and only a few patrolmen. They used to do just the opposite out of boredom. Speed limit 55 and they would do 45...and have a parade of cars behind them too scared to pass/
    Chief

5. Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    If our forefathers were only worried about doing what is legal and not what's right, we'd all be talking with a funny accent and driving on the wrong side of the road right now. And we wouldn't have any guns. When I took my enlistment oath 36 years ago, I swore to uphold the Constitution, not some law(s) drafted and enacted by petty tyrants...
    First off hp-hobo, Thank you for your service.

I'm not suggesting that accepting a law that is wrong and blindly following it is the right thing to do. Instead I not so successfully attempted to point out that our founding fathers understood the trials of living under an oppressive government and because of this designed legal ways for us as citizens to resist what is wrong. That is after all why they established a republic, and our first president refused the title of king.

I'm sure that they, much like us, desired a better life for their descendants. Yes, our founding fathers did follow legal channels prior to armed revolution. They appealed to the representatives of King who were appointed over the colonies. Most of our founding fathers saw themselves as good Englishmen up until the day that they were forced into revolution by the King. Personal opinion, if any one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence were here here today, they would advocate following the laws of the land while working within the outline that was laid out in the constitution to solve the problems that we as a nation face.

Now that I have addressed your complaint about my opinion hp-hobo, I just want to know what about doing the speed limit is unconstitutional? That is after all what this thread was started about, isn't it? And more importantly than the original thread, that is the part of my last comment that you highlighted and seem to be questioning.

6. Quote Originally Posted by David Mitchell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Now that I have addressed your complaint about my opinion hp-hobo, I just want to know what about doing the speed limit is unconstitutional? That is after all what this thread was started about, isn't it? And more importantly than the original thread, that is the part of my last comment that you highlighted and seem to be questioning.
    I never said it was unconstitutional, I just said it was hypocritical that the people who are enforcing that speed limit, and condemning us for breaking it, are also supposed to be following it also and are not.

7. Cops speeding for no reason - YouTube

Here's a video I took yesterday of an Anderson City cop who is apparently off-duty as he had his son in the back seat with him. He pulled out of a school when he got in front of me. He was hauling ass prior to this video, so I figured I'd film it while I tried to stay on his ass, that way if he tried to stop me I could have a good reason to give him why I was speeding. You can hear at one point I put the pedal on the floor and at my fastest speed I was doing about 70-75mph and he was still gaining distance between us, and this was in a 35mph zone. My guess is that if the car hasn't gotten in front of him I would have never caught up to him. But he can have no excuse for speeding at all since his son was in the back seat and he never turned lights or sirens on and he never made any attempt to get around the car in front of him who was just leisurely riding along. This is what pisses me off when I see it. This was also in the county too. Had it have been in the city, he would have pulled someone over for doing just 10 over (I've gotten a ticket where I was actually doing only 8mph over, that was not the reduced amount but the actual amount). Yet he was doing over double the speed limit. Such hypocrites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Cops speeding for no reason - YouTube

Here's a video I took yesterday of an Anderson City cop who is apparently off-duty as he had his son in the back seat with him. He pulled out of a school when he got in front of me. He was hauling ass prior to this video, so I figured I'd film it while I tried to stay on his ass, that way if he tried to stop me I could have a good reason to give him why I was speeding. You can hear at one point I put the pedal on the floor and at my fastest speed I was doing about 70-75mph and he was still gaining distance between us, and this was in a 35mph zone. My guess is that if the car hasn't gotten in front of him I would have never caught up to him. But he can have no excuse for speeding at all since his son was in the back seat and he never turned lights or sirens on and he never made any attempt to get around the car in front of him who was just leisurely riding along. This is what pisses me off when I see it. This was also in the county too. Had it have been in the city, he would have pulled someone over for doing just 10 over (I've gotten a ticket where I was actually doing only 8mph over, that was not the reduced amount but the actual amount). Yet he was doing over double the speed limit. Such hypocrites!!!
    Well good thing no one pulled out in front of YOU then while you were filming this docu-drama. I wouldn't put myself at risk to prove a point.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone

9. Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Well good thing no one pulled out in front of YOU then while you were filming this docu-drama. I wouldn't put myself at risk to prove a point.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone
    The section of road that I was driving like that, there's nowhere to pull out of.

10. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Cops speeding for no reason - YouTube

Here's a video I took yesterday of an Anderson City cop who is apparently off-duty as he had his son in the back seat with him. He pulled out of a school when he got in front of me. He was hauling ass prior to this video, so I figured I'd film it while I tried to stay on his ass, that way if he tried to stop me I could have a good reason to give him why I was speeding. You can hear at one point I put the pedal on the floor and at my fastest speed I was doing about 70-75mph and he was still gaining distance between us, and this was in a 35mph zone.
    Did you follow him to his destination and affect a citizen's arrest? Did you turn the video over to the prosecuting attorney's office as evidence of an infraction and insist on an investigation? I mean, exactly what did your actions accomplish other than increase the danger to yourself and others by traveling at more than twice the speed limit while operating a video camera?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

11. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Did you follow him to his destination and affect a citizen's arrest? Did you turn the video over to the prosecuting attorney's office as evidence of an infraction and insist on an investigation? I mean, exactly what did your actions accomplish other than increase the danger to yourself and others by traveling at more than twice the speed limit while operating a video camera?
    I wasn't operating a video camera. I hit record at the stop sign and it was mounted on the windshield. Required no "operating" on my part. And what I accomplished was proving what a bunch of hypocrites they are. I drive that fast down that road all the time. Especially if I'm running late in the mornings. The speeding itself is not what I have an issue with. What I have an issue with is that whether speeding is ok or not only depends on whether the car is owned by the city or not. It's ok for them not to follow the law that is their job to enforce.

When I was in high school a friend of mine got in real big trouble when his dad found out he was smoking. But his dad smoked at least 2 packs a day openly. So wonder where he was getting his example from? You cannot enforce rules that you do not follow yourself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast