S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13 - Page 10
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: S.308 (restaurant carry) debate from 4/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    If I'm reading the SC website correctly, It shows the bill up for consideration (2nd reading) today.
    Yes. If you had taken the time to read what I previously wrote you would have already known that. The real test is, can you find out if it was actually read the second time in today's session.

No biggy to go another year without restaurant carry I suppose. Let's hope next year the "pro 2A" groups step up and get the consumption prohibition taken out and kill it that way. If we play our cards right, in 5 or 6 years, we can get the language perfect.

I'm curious, do you know why restaurant carry didn't make it this far last year?
    Last edited by John Canuck; 05-31-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: test question

3. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Lets just hope they don't take the time to read up on SC's sign requirements if it passes. I hope they use the same signs the Anderson mall uses. My uncle told me the other day they had put up signs at all the doors and you couldn't carry in there anymore. I happened to be in there today and checked them out...they don't contain any wording on them; they are way too high (about 6ft); and according to the law they have to be at ALL entrances, and the Books-a-million store doesn't have a sign and it is one of the entrances to the mall.
    Yeah, I have the same issues down here along the coast. Many places have signs up, but I haven't seen ONE that meets regulations. I'm not one for testing the limits, so I have "obeyed" the signs and not carried in there. I guess there is nothing they could do if I DID carry in these businesses, but again...don't need my name in the paper.

4. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Yes. If you had taken the time to read what I previously wrote you would have already known that. The real test is, can you find out if it was actually read the second time in today's session.

No biggy to go another year without restaurant carry I suppose. Let's hope next year the "pro 2A" groups step up and get the consumption prohibition taken out and kill it that way. If we play our cards right, in 5 or 6 years, we can get the language perfect.

I'm curious, do you know why restaurant carry didn't make it this far last year?
    I don't come to the forum to play Jeopardy...obviously you put a lot more importance on this bill than I do- and judging from the number of people talking about it in the entire SC forum...there's not a lot of interest in this bill as a whole.

But to answer your questions...no I don't know why it didn't pass last year, nor do I care all that much. It would be great if it would pass, but I'm not wringing my hands over it because I don't have a lot of faith in ANYTHING this gov't tries to accomplish. After all, listening to people talk about silver bullets and the OK corral tends to temper enthusiasm for the people representing our interests. It will happen when it happens. I did my part, I contacted my Senators and expressed support for it, and pushed for their support.

5. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Lets just hope they don't take the time to read up on SC's sign requirements if it passes. I hope they use the same signs the Anderson mall uses. My uncle told me the other day they had put up signs at all the doors and you couldn't carry in there anymore. I happened to be in there today and checked them out...they don't contain any wording on them; they are way too high (about 6ft); and according to the law they have to be at ALL entrances, and the Books-a-million store doesn't have a sign and it is one of the entrances to the mall.
    Yeah, I have the same issues down here along the coast. Many places have signs up, but I haven't seen ONE that meets regulations. I'm not one for testing the limits, so I have "obeyed" the signs and not carried in there. I guess there is nothing they could do if I DID carry in these businesses, but again...don't need my name in the paper.
    Around here there is no such thing as testing the limits. Our Sheriff's hate business that post those signs. The deputy that taught my CWP class said he doesn't know of one single cop in Anderson county that would do anything more than tell you to leave.

6. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Around here there is no such thing as testing the limits. Our Sheriff's hate business that post those signs. The deputy that taught my CWP class said he doesn't know of one single cop in Anderson county that would do anything more than tell you to leave.
    That's interesting. I don't feel it would be the same here, at least according to my CC instructor. He seemed to think the cops would make a big deal out of it and you might have to hire a lawyer to navigate your way thru the red tape. Which of course, is B.S.

BTW...John C....Alex would be disappointed that you didn't play the game correctly.

I kid, I kid.

Are you going to be so kind to let me know if the bill was read for the 2nd time yesterday or not? I went to the statehouse website and could only see info from the 30th.

I'm guessing there isn't enough time to get the bill thru the House, but maybe we will get lucky.

7. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    That's interesting. I don't feel it would be the same here, at least according to my CC instructor. He seemed to think the cops would make a big deal out of it and you might have to hire a lawyer to navigate your way thru the red tape. Which of course, is B.S.

BTW...John C....Alex would be disappointed that you didn't play the game correctly.

I kid, I kid.

Are you going to be so kind to let me know if the bill was read for the 2nd time yesterday or not? I went to the statehouse website and could only see info from the 30th.

I'm guessing there isn't enough time to get the bill thru the House, but maybe we will get lucky.
    His idea was that yes, business owners should have the freedom to run their business as they choose. However to prohibit and be against one of the very core beliefs of what it is to be an American and a major part of our Constitution, and a freedom that far too many have lost their lives for is completely anti-American and they have no respect for people like that. He said that he tells his wife to carry any and everywhere she can, whether its prohibited by law or sign, if she doesn't think anyone will know. Because he said he's a hell of a lot more likely to get her out of jail than he is to get her out of the grave.

HOUSE JOURNAL - South Carolina Legislature Online

Lots of time to pass in the House... it's next step is the problem

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post

So it was not read on Friday.

10. Quote Originally Posted by DLB1964 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post

So it was not read on Friday.
    I feel like we're watching the Titanic go down with some false hope that it will miraculously come back afloat again.

11. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I feel like we're watching the Titanic go down with some false hope that it will miraculously come back afloat again.

Actually, that's pretty funny.

I guess tomorrow will be make or break day for the bill.

If it moves on tomorrow, then the Senate has 2 days to send it on correct?

Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast